No Alpha for Linux/Mac backers?

Thank you to you! :smiley:

2 Likes

Good catch, and good resolution from the sound of it!

I only use Linux, so I certainly hope that I will get a beta version for Linux at least. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So i have my answerā€¦ Probably no alpha version on linuxā€¦

I need to work on my vga passtrought with kvm to be ready for this beautifull day :wink:

Any news of cryengine on linux ?

I really hope they keep in mind all the Mac users out there and the linux users also, i know developing the game is best on what software or system your doing it on, but donating as much money as we are, we really want to be able to help develop too on whatever system we use, like me on a Macā€¦

I have a completely different takeā€¦

Uhā€¦ Iā€™d rather Warhorse not waste the time and put their efforts to something that benefits more than a few members of the community. I am sorry if the kickstarter page was unclear, but I for one do NOT want Warhorse bending over backwards to accommodate 12 people grousing about the first release of a crazy early alpha not being on Linux.

Seriously, what makes you people so much more important than the rest of us? I donā€™t mean to be harsh, but from a development perspective, this early in the gameā€¦ it would be pretty stupid of them to put the time and resources into building a completely different compile for Linuxā€¦ to appease the smallest OS segment. Sorry, logically, you have to wait. There are more important things affecting far more people in the queue ahead of you. I could scream and bitch for TrackIR supportā€¦ that would probably impact a lot more than the Linux only crowdā€¦ but I wonā€™tā€¦ because itā€™s too early to chase down features that appeal to a narrow subset of the backers. Right now, they need to focus on getting the WINDOWS version out on time, on the 22nd. In my experience with these sorts of thingsā€¦ I donā€™t take that date too seriouslyā€¦ I know they are trying to hit it, and they mightā€¦ but most gaming companies actually miss their own deadlines. 50/50 we get it on the 22nd, or wait a few extra days. THAT is where their focus needs to be, not a ā€˜drop everything and compile a Linux versionā€™. If they started it right now, I doubt theyā€™d have a clean Linux compile to give you on the 22nd. So should everyone else wait now? I mean, we donā€™t want to be UNFAIR, why should us evil Windows drones get inā€¦ I mean thousands of usā€¦ handful of youā€¦ yeah, letā€™s jam up the whole dev cycle, blow off the 10/22 alpha, scrap everything, and start over with a LINUX focusā€¦ yeahā€¦ thatā€™s the answer.

Seriously, Iā€™ve never known a company to put out a beta, let alone an alpha on all 3 OSā€™s simultaneously. Never. I have never, EVER seen that. A final release? Sometimes. Even then, Mac and Linux typically trail a few months behind. Beta? No way. Just no way. Alpha?!? hahahhahah no.

I mean, the ARROGANCE of Warhorse in supporting the single most common OS out there for the first release of Alphaā€¦ evil, evil bastards arenā€™t they? lol

Seriously guys, donā€™t take it personally, no one hates Linux here, no one is out to get you or screw you overā€¦ there just arenā€™t many of you, and like the good Vulcan said, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Now is NOT the time for Warhorse to worry about a Linux Alpha release.

Take Star Citizen, or Elite: Dangerousā€¦ both a lot further along in their development than KC: D. Star Citizen also promises a Linux and Mac versionā€¦ but over a year after the hanger, and months after the dogfight moduleā€¦ itā€™s still only available for Windows. And they have 280 people at last count working on itā€¦ and even then, Linux waits. Iā€™d have been surprised, shocked really, if the initial release was for Winblows, Mac and Linuxā€¦ all there on day one of alpha.

The truth is, I am interested in a Linux version myself, I do a dual boot with Ubuntuā€¦ what if the Linux version runs better? I might prefer that version in the end. But I wasnā€™t about to pick Linux for my release because I wanted to get into the alpha ASAPā€¦ I figured with Linux Iā€™d have to waitā€¦ seems I was right. So I guess that is what bugged me about this threadā€¦ I looked at the Linux version just like you didā€¦ I thought about the alpha and thought ā€˜you know, I should opt for the Windows version for testingā€¦ā€™

You had the same choice I did. The same information available to you. You made your choice. I made mine. Now you donā€™t like the choice you made because you misunderstood something.

Some of you Linux guys really crack me upā€¦ itā€™s like a holy war. If there is ever a perceived slight to the Linux community itā€™s all self righteous angerā€¦ equal rights??? Really, we marching on Washington next? lol Seriously, when did YOUR choice to use an 3rd place OS become a civil rights battle!!! Hey, I LIKE Linux, I use it. But I am fully aware Linux is the gross minority of gaming machines. A tiny percentage compared to MAC let alone Winblows.

Were you somehow unaware of this when you chose Linux as your OS? Did you not know that is the clear minority OS? And if you DID knowā€¦ why are you grousing about that now? How is it Warhorseā€™s fault that MS outsells Windows 100 to 1 over Linux? (not an accurate number, I donā€™t want to look it upā€¦ a crapload. MS moves a crapload more copies of Winblows than all the Linux distros combined, itā€™s unfortunate, but it IS the truth)

I am sorry Linux doesnā€™t have a better market share, I really am, Iā€™d like to see them steal some users from Microsoft. Iā€™d love to see Linux get into the 25-33% range. But if you have anything to be angry aboutā€¦ itā€™s not me, and itā€™s not Warhorseā€¦ you need to be angry that not very many people use Linux. That is itā€™s biggest flaw. When developers have to make a choice between Windows, Mac or Linuxā€¦ why wouldnā€™t you chose the most pervasive OS of the 3?

Individually, yes, you have the same rights I do as a backer. Collectively, the much smaller group of Linux backers do not carry the weight of the thousands of Windows backers.

Warhorse is only being logical here, and completely in step with the rest of the industry. IMO, the assumption that they would launch a super early alpha on 3 OSā€™s simultaneouslyā€¦ was a bit flawed. In short, you did this to yourself, donā€™t get angry at Warhorse over it.

2 Likes

Theyā€™re bending over backwards to keep their word. That promise is the only reason they have my money right now - Iā€™m not a charity, and neither are my other fellow Linux backers AFAIK. If they didnā€™t put that effort into making the beta available on Linux, thatā€™d be pure dishonesty - and thatā€™s why Iā€™m glad that theyā€™re keeping that promise. Itā€™d be just as easy to turn their back on us, but they have the character to go through with it. Just for that, theyā€™ve got at least one customer for life right here.

[quote=ā€œvoodoochild, post:46, topic:8878, full:trueā€]
ā€¦Seriously, Iā€™ve never known a company to put out a beta, let alone an alpha on all 3 OSā€™s simultaneously. Never. I have never, EVER seen that. A final release? Sometimes. Even then, Mac and Linux typically trail a few months behind. Beta? No way. Just no way. Alpha?!? hahahhahah no.
ā€¦[/quote]
Planetary Annihilation had an Alpha also for Linux - just if you are looking for an example. :smile:

Anyhow, in this case it seems to be slightly out of the devs hands. They are using an external engine, so there are some dependencies (like a Linux port) which arenā€™t under their control. In the above mentioned example they were using an own engine, which let them be more flexible in that regard.
In principle, it makes sense to develop in parallel for the OS you want to support in the end - instead of doing it as an afterthought, because you might stumble over problems you might have easyly solved in the development process but are far more work intensive if you port it after the product is finished.

I have no problem waiting for Mac & Linux version until final realease of the game.
However I hope there wonā€™t be massive performance differences between operating systems running on the same hardware. -> Wither 2 is fiting example to avoid (http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/virtual-programming-are-working-to-improve-the-witcher-2-on-linux.3881) OS X port was a big disappointment.

To voodoochild :

Yes Iā€™m agree with you too and i totally understand than the linux/mac version is not the priority and Iā€™m totally able to wait, Iā€™m not hurt about that like others ā€¦
If I talk about using windows in kvm, itā€™s not to tell that Iā€™m forced to do that. I need It for some other games and because itā€™s fun :smiley:
I want to test it on wine too.
If I tell that this date is important thatā€™s because we can see how effort warhorse studio spend for this games and at this date we can report our first impression of the game.
I know you donā€™t tell that specially for me and Iā€™m chocked to about reduce the pledge for this reason.
We firstly support the game not only the linux version and I prefer seeing the dev team spending time on sword combat and other features than porting the game soonly on linux/mac

Does anyone know the number of linux/mac backers ?

I wasnā€™t saying i want warhorse to bend over backwards just to release an alpha or beta for mac or linux, Iā€™m with michalM mac, i have no problem waiting, i just want to make sure that in the end, the product on the mac is the same quality as it is on the PC.

Can I get the Alpha on windows and then the beta and final game on Mac or am I stuck with whatever I choose first? I would like to be able to play the alpha but I prefer my final game on Mac.

Just to clarifyā€¦ my only real gripe is the ā€˜Linux onlyā€™ crowd demanding accommodation and compensation.

I think those people are way out of line honestly. No hard feelings, nothing personal, but I think your rage is misdirected.

The guys that DEMAND they have their Linux alphaā€¦ right now. Screaming about equal rights and what not. That was funny to me.

This isnā€™t about using Linux, or even preferring itā€¦ itā€™s about some Linux users staunch refusal to dual boot. You donā€™t have to like it, but the simple fact is, Windows is the dominant OS. If you cut yourself off from thatā€¦ you cut yourself off from a LOT of computing world. I get it, you hate windows. Cool. So do I most times. But you made a choice to isolate yourself from the windows universeā€¦ crap like this is the price you pay for your convictions.

So if you really are a Linux ideologue, quit griping, take your lumps, you agreed to this when you went on your ā€˜Linux onlyā€™ crusade. If you take a hardship on yourself for moral or ethical reasonsā€¦ itā€™s kinda cheap to then grouse about the price you pay. Like Martin Luther King grousing that his feet hurt after all that damned marching. Maybe in private a little vent about sore feet is coolā€¦ but can you imagine MLK PUBLICLY complaining about the hardships he endured because of the struggle he took on? No, he took his lumps and moved on.

Instead, why donā€™t you channel all this rage and energy into getting the alpha working in Linux? Ever hear of Wineā€¦ there ARE windows emulators out there. I bet it would be a pain in the ass to get it working in Wineā€¦ but if you pulled it offā€¦ you are the hero now instead of the whiner. Iā€™d be willing to help out even, I dual boot with Ubuntu.

But if steadfastly hold to a ā€˜Linux onlyā€™ viewā€¦ How much accommodation should the rest of the world give you because of the inconvenience you put yourself in?

I want full, final, and badass Linux version of this game. If it runs better, I will run THAT, not the windows version. If the windows version runs better I pick that one.

See what I did there? I made choices that benefit me, instead of some ideological tilting at windmills and railing against the evils of Microsoft and how everyone is out to get Linux.

Planetary Annihilation? Never heard of it until it was mentioned here. Cool they did a Linux alphaā€¦ did it come out on the same day as Windows Alpha? Or did it lag a few weeks or months behind? Iā€™ve seen Linux alphasā€¦ Iā€™ve never seen a Linux alpha come out on the same day as the first windows alpha. Maybe these guys did itā€¦ cool. But can we agree that this is NOT the industry norm? That even if it HAS happened once or twice before, itā€™s pretty damned rare.

What if Mac and Linux had to wait untilā€¦ gaspā€¦ the Beta phase.

Would that be so terrible?

For that matter, why are the Linux users more important the console users? I bet plenty of PS4 and XBone folks are bumminā€™ they can pledge, but canā€™t participate in the alphaā€¦ granted, they never said ā€˜console alphaā€™ā€¦ but they never said ā€˜linux alphaā€™ eitherā€¦ it was implied or inferred.

So to me, this isnā€™t about people running Linux or preferring a Linux version. Itā€™s about people refusing to run anything else, and freaking out when their small comparative percentage isā€¦ ignored? I donā€™t think Warhorse is ignoring you, but can see how you might feel that way. The truth isā€¦ you are deprioritized. Youā€™re there, you are on their radar, they want to get around to the Linux end of it eventuallyā€¦ but it is too small a number to put much resources towards it right now. Thatā€™s all it is. Just numbers and percentages. And developers having to make decisions on what benefits the most backers.

They said their will be a final Linux version. They said alpha was PC only. Some people interpreted ā€˜PCā€™ to mean Linux. Hey, you know what? Macā€™s are ā€œpersonal computersā€ too. Granted it could have been clearer on Warhorses partā€¦ but I think this is case of people inferring something that wasnā€™t there and seeing what they want to see ie PC=Linux and running off on bad assumptions. I never expected a Linux alpha at first release. I expected Windows only at firstā€¦ and that is what happened.

So how is that with the same information and the same choices, I am fine with my choices, and you are upset with yours? Is that Warhorseā€™s fault? Or your own? Did they imply? or did you infer? It was never stated, so one or the other occurred here.

And I am serious about being willing to help out, see if we can get it running in Wine or another emulator.

I really think your energy should go there instead of raging at Warhorse. And I am willing to help out even.

I think you produced the most rage in this thread :wink:
definitely the most words

I do tend to get long windedā€¦ sorry 'bout thatā€¦

Just a secondā€¦

Okay, @voodoochild - carry on!

I even think I signed my post in the ā€˜introduce yourselfā€™ thread as
Dave, The Earl of Long and Rambling Postsā€¦

At least we now have an alternative energy solution to recapture some of the energy I waste in those long postsā€¦ :wink:

Wine Is not an emulator (itā€™s in the name) :wink: and having a game working on it not make me an heroā€¦ Visit winehq forum --ā€™ The ā€œheroā€™sā€ are peolpe working on it and patching it.
Personaly I spend my energy to have an alternative to play the alpha on ā€œlinuxā€, if I canā€™t, donā€™t worry, No probleme to boot my windows 8.1, Itā€™s just a question of affinity.
Iā€™am not a mac user but they have lot of similarity so if a linux user can, a mac user can too.

All I was saying is that there still is a possible ā€˜linux onlyā€™ solution using Wine or something similar.

Iā€™d be willing to help out.

Seems that getting it working for the Linux folks, even if a Wine hack or somethingā€¦ is a better use of time and energy than grousing about the lack of Linux. Also, this is something we do not need Warhorseā€™s help on. We can do this 100% on our own. Iā€™ve heard of people getting Star Citizen running in Wineā€¦ so I canā€™t think KC: D would be much differentā€¦

Itā€™s the only feasible solution I see to someone that runs Linux only at this time.

My post may have come off overly harshā€¦ it probably wasā€¦ but my honest attempt in wading into this was to help out.

I have one possible solution to the problem, does anyone want to work with me on it? Iā€™ll help, but I am not going to do it for you on my own.

@voodoochild - Iā€™m not seeing a whole lot of demanding going on with regards to the alpha; at the very least, nothing that really requires that sort of response. Are you referencing something going on outside of this thread somewhere?

I do see a few people gently reminding the company that Mac and Linux access were previously promised, however. It is not a grouse when you hold somebody to their word. The alpha is one thing, as they ruled that out a long, long time ago, and that is absolutely fair. However, the beta is a separate thing entirely ļ¼ beta access for Linux and Mac was confirmed in February. There are no guarantees with anything when it comes to this sort of investment, but I do expect a company to make good on the things they say if they want to continue to do business in the future. I will be playing the alpha on Windows, but I very much look forward to playing the beta on Linux.