No Linux support? WTF?!?! I want my money back

I just heard this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgTqvtXZBMw&feature=youtu.be&t=38m36s

We have to focus on the main game right now

When I backed, the “main game” was Windows, Mac, and Linux only. The consoles weren’t confirmed at all. Now you’ve chucked the Mac and Linux guys for the console kiddies? Shame…

Just for the record: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance/description

Planned platforms: PC, Xbox One*, PS4*, Mac, Linux
Release date: Q4, 2015 on PC, Mac and Linux

WTF guys… I don’t even care that the game is out late. Delaying a game is fine to make it good, but now you’re ditching Linux and Mac support?

What a load of crap. I want my money back.

6 Likes

Linux is still probably coming, just little bit later as it is quite minor market.

1 Like

I have send you and email. :slight_smile:

I don’t want my money back just now, I first want to know which of these is happening:

• Windows, Mac OS X and Linux release at once like stated on the kickstarter page
  • Windows release first and Mac OS X and Linux release delayed a little bit
  • Windows release first and Mac OS X and Linux release delayed a long time
  • No Mac OS X or Linux release in the foreseeable future

9 months after the planned release date I think we can expect the developers to at least know what they are going to release.

11 Likes

Good question chrix. I’m also a “Linux backer” and I wouldn’t be happy to have supported a non-Linux game, to say the least. The release being delayed, ok, of course, all projects are delayed. But the communication from Warhorse about the Linux version has been very disappointing and saddening.

4 Likes

I got my money back - I’m absolutely sure there will never be a Linux version. Never. The really maddening thing was the complete and utter lack of any communication. I felt - quite apt to the game title - royally screwed. Getting the refund took all the anger away - after all there are plenty of other games on Linux nowadays waiting to be played.

5 Likes

It unfortunately mostly boils down to CryEngine not supporting (nor planning to support for sure) Vulkan. And it probably unfortunately was assumed when it was communicated by WarHorse.

The fact that they are giving money back, in my opinion, is a good indication that it was in no way intended to fraud.

3 Likes

I’d like to know where you know that from.
It seems unlikely to me, because:

3 Likes

I’m a Linux Backer too and have no intention at all to switch to windows. Before that I’d refund the game.

3 Likes

Honestly didn’t do much homework but found that as the first reply to my google search (http://boilingsteam.com/crytek-on-directx12-and-vulkan/). Given the roadmap you linked, I’d agree this looks planned. How much work would be involved to then use the october release and how much that will mean to change eventually is unknown. I’d expect it will most likely take them quite some time to do that, which then mean a delayed release for Linux (if they make the choice).

OGL is an inferior renderer, so may not be compatible / require work they don’t intend to spend on it.

Keep in mind Warhorse Studio is still a small team, so obviously, there will be a cost / gain attached to anything they do, and Linux / Mac Os is unfortunately the least attractive market for any game development company.

First of all, my family and I are stricktly PC Windows gamers. That said, I care about the Linux/Mac OS releases, because they WERE promised in Kickstarter, when I backed the game. A long time before ANY “planned” console version got the required certificate from Sony and Microsoft. And what happened in the end - these consoles took the lead path, as it happened so many times before with other games. PC release delayed, Mac/Linus abandoned probably. But why? I guess that kiddy hype console train just brings too much money to the table, money which very few people could refuse. And I do believe that @warhorse has the intention to make Deliverance a great game and to fulfill all their promises! The problem is that they just can’t, mostly because of console development taking too much of their efforts. When there is a dilemma between PC and consoles regarding the gameplay, interface, graphics, etc, they will unfortunately choose the console way. Sad, but true. Just my 2 cents…
I guess around mid 2017 we PC gamers will finally understand if our backing and waiting are worth it.

2 Likes

Are you joking? The Kingdom Come Kickstarter campaign was launched January 2014. A next-gen OpenGL wasn’t even announced until August, and Vulkan itself wasn’t even named until February of the following year. So, you’re saying that they promised Linux support in January 2014 with a release date of December 2015, having miraculously known in advance both that A) a new graphics API would be in the works seven months down the road, and B) that it would be stable and public by the projected release date of December 2015? Get a grip.

Surely not joking, merely “guessing/assuming”.

I can’t believe War Horse intentionally advertised Linux support to “steal money” from kickstarters to later remove the Linux support for no valid reasons. Nor will we ever know what was the % of Linux backers against mainstream platform backers, and whether or not this played a role in their decision.

I however believe gaming in 2016 should be doable on PC, Linux or Mac Os, because it never has been easier for developers to deliver on 3 platform, but I surely don’t know enough about game development to assess whether this rather simplistic view is true. I know some game companies do it well, however, you can’t expect to play more than 5% of the current PC title on Linux / Mac OS natively (meaning without wine emulation) so it’s still a niche, unfortunately.

2 Likes

can i also have a refund

So many crushed hopes & dreams, first no Linux beta, then no Linux release… whats next? Never Linux support?
Please send me instructions on how to request a refund (or provide proof that game is coming to Linux)

3 Likes

Maybe they should have thought about that before announcing support for Linux/OSX on Kickstarter. If it’s such a small market anyway, they surely could have done well without those pesky Linux/OSX backers.

1 Like

AFAIK, the PS4 uses a proprietary and custom Low Level API and absolutely not Open GL. source. I wouldn’t mind to be told wrong if you have the sources for it though !

No argument there. Linux represents 0.83% of the PC market when it comes to OS, Mac around 3.3% (but as someone said, there ain’t really the hardware). As for the source, they are here.
PC Gaming has been, on games like TW3, about 30-35% (source). 5% of 30% is 1.5% potential revenue… So there are no arguments it’s not viable economically.

But that’s irrelevant, there ain’t any argument either on the fact Warhorse should never have mentionned Linux / Mac Os X in their kickstart, unless they knew whatever they were planning would be compatible with it straight from the start. I can’t speak for them and tell you what changed (if anything) for them to scrap this, but unfortunately, in 2016 releasing games for Linux / Mac OS X is still very much an act of militant-ism/philosophy rather than a purely benefit guided action. Even for AAA companies, 1.5% market share is still very limited.

I’d be very happy to see more Vulkan games, but I believe the only guys who can actually make this happen is Valve, through encouragement via Steam. Higher revenue for developers if their game work on Linux natively (via OGL or Vulkan) would probably help plenty !. Oh, and Microsoft can actually make it happen too, if they continue to do the wrong things with the UWP.

1 Like

[quote=“Nolenthar, post:17, topic:29753, full:true”]
AFAIK, the PS4 uses a proprietary and custom Low Level API and absolutely not Open GL. source. I wouldn’t mind to be told wrong if you have the sources for it though ![/quote]
You are correct. I had imagined it would be much like the PS3, whose graphics API was based on OpenGL 2.0. PS4 is more low level, though.

[quote=“Nolenthar, post:17, topic:29753, full:true”]
But that’s irrelevant, there ain’t any argument either on the fact Warhorse should never have mentionned Linux / Mac Os X in their kickstart, unless they knew whatever they were planning would be compatible with it straight from the start. I can’t speak for them and tell you what changed (if anything) for them to scrap this, but unfortunately, in 2016 releasing games for Linux / Mac OS X is still very much an act of militant-ism/philosophy rather than a purely benefit guided action. Even for AAA companies, 1.5% market share is still very limited.[/quote]
Wondering if perhaps the numbers of Linux/OSX backers on Kickstarter are more significant? Linux support is definitely a criteria for me, as are physical releases.

As much as I applaud Valve for their Linux effort, to me it looks like they lost a bit of steam as of late. I guess they are still too comfortable on Windows, and Microsoft isn’t pushing aggressively enough for their own walled garden ;-).

1 Like

That wouldn’t surprise me much, I could really see why a Linux playerbase would have been appealed both by the ambition of the game and its (eventually dropped) native Linux support. Linux playerbase may be made up of a higher proportion of idealist, anti-AAA monopolistic companies and may be more likely to back “small” projects via Kickstarting.

I don’t know if Warhorse somehow has the number. If they do, this is likely to confirm that this was probably not enough to make them change their mind.

I Also hope Linux support comes at some point. I really do not like windows 10 and would like to move away from the dependency to play games only via windows.

1 Like