(Non-KCD) Better late than never

Figured since I’m backing this project I should probably, finally play this game, right?

1 Like

If you have even the slightest chance of it, play the PC version instead. It is utterly beautiful even today, and runs at 1080p/60fps even on ancient cards like gtx560. I tried the demo of Mafia 2 on PS3 and could not handle the low framerate and jaggies everywhere.
Either way though, it is a great game. Not as legendary as Mafia 1, since this one suffered from very troubled development and lot of planned content was cut, including branching storyline, but what remained is still one of my favourite city open world games ever. In fact, Mafia 1, Mafia 2 and Sleeping Dogs are my favourite games of this genre.

I just read something about the PS3 port not being very good, yeah. I’ll see how it goes for me and try to grab a PC version if I have to. Do you know if the first Mafia can be obtained for PC?

I also have Sleeping Dogs and need to actually get around to that sometime.

I do see Steam’s got Mafia II with various purchase options, too.

Grumble, grumble… grrr cut content…grumble, grumble…still on the bloody box art…grumble…

I’m not bitter or anything.

@Flashfire Depends where you live. Play.com sells it in Europe. Anywhere else depends on the seller.
www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/5508437/Mafia/Product.html

1 Like

The PC version of Mafia 2 is on sale very often, so you should be able to get it soon. Sadly Mafia 1 was removed from Steam for mysterious reasons (my bet would be some music licensing bullshit reasons, or just 2K being stupid) and is only available in retail, maybe on amazon or ebay or some such…I own retail box myself. It really is great though, way ahead of its time, it brough Max Payne caliber graphics (in fact, in some respects vastly better) into open world at a time when GTA3 reigned open worlds…and GTA3 looked ancient compared to Mafia, or Max Payne. The best thing about it is the storyline and level design though.

Sleeping Dogs, I finished twice on PC, it looks stunning and has just perfect Hong Kong atmosphere, great characters, good story. And game mechanics are much better than in GTA games, especially melee combat.

2 Likes

Cool - I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks for the info.

To give an opinion about the game itself (Mafia 2): I don’t want to say I was disappointed but it definitely couldn’t reach the atmosphere of Mafia 1.
It is a bit like they tried to do the same game in a different time and with better technology but they couldn’t reach the same breathtaking moments like in the first one. This is very subjective of course.

I have to agree that Sleeping Dogs is probably one of the best story driven action games out there right now. Of course you have to like the genre. If you despise classical Hong Kong police movies, you probably won’t like the game.

Sleeping Dogs has probably the best Melee combat system of all sandbox game existing, I agree. The Problem is, that it is almost exclusively melee combat mechanics. Don’t get me wrong that’s pe4rfect for the game. It is a Hong Kong movie!
But although you have the ability to use shooting weapons I still think GTA has quite some better mechanics in this section. The possibility to shoot is almost more like a gimmick in SD except for some missions (towards the end).

1 Like

Already grabbed a PC version of the first Mafia on eBay. Ahh, impulse buys. Watching Mafia II on Steam for a sale, as well. I can see some of that jaggy effect and framerate slowing down a bit in the PS3 version.

I did like the Sleeping Dogs demo I tried - just have to make some time to dig deeper into the full game.

If you want another game which resembles more the Mafia 1 style I really can recommand the Game to the Godfather 1.
The opinions were quite diveded on this one basically because they forced a made-up character within the story of the “Holy Grail” of all Mafia movies and I can understand the problem people have with that.

But as a huuuuge Godfather fan (books and movies) I say it is interessting and worth playing. In my opinion they did a quite decent job explaining who you are within the story except the ending but it is still ok for the purposes of the game. You should approach this one on a neutral base.

edit: But for god’s sake, stay away from the second game they made. It is beyond aweful and a shame what they did there… yak…

Mafia 1 and 2 are great games. I’ve played the second one again just a few months ago. :laughing:

But it’s also a tragedy how cut the game was. There were so many elements which didn’t make it to the final version…

I think that’s one of the reasons Dan left, it was obscene. They’d already delayed the game to Spring 2010 and showed gameplay footage of all these little side things you could do and then they delayed it about a month before release, lo and behold all that content gets stripped out. Then they have the audacity to claim it was always supposed to be like that.
Also, look on the back of the box. The centre left picture shows a side mission that was prominently displayed in a gameplay trailer in February 2010 and was then cut.

That’s pretty sad. Also not very surprising when you think about it.

Case in point why it’s better Warhorse gets to do KC-D all on their own without crap like that getting in the way.

Dan wasn’t working on Mafia 2. Well, just from the beginning and i think in the end there wasn’t much left from his work.

He left at the end of 2009, the game was finished by then, till it was delayed.

Mafia II (Steam PC) for about 3€… :wink:

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/141-mafia-ii

Whoa, I was really looking forward to Godfather, it was supposed to be first big mature AAA game from EA, with production values through the roof…
But when I played, it looked incredibly ugly, so dated, it looked and felt much worse than much older Mafia 1…I could not stand it for more than an hour, it felt like EA shat all over my favourite film :frowning:

I mean, look at this (max details on PC version!)

The cars do not even have windows, there are no reflection, everything is unbelieveably ugly…I do not understand how could EA make something so bad when Mafia was already out for some 4 years by then and looked lightyears ahead !
And don’t let me start about the animations…

It shows really well the difference between having money and no talent (godfather), and having less money but loads of talent (mafia).

probably whatever happened to mafia 2 was one of the reasons vavra quit :slight_smile:

What did he do in the meantime?

He sat in a dark room, dying from grievous wounds, waiting for a sign.