NPC AI and Gameplay Question?

So, I was watching Gamescom gameplay with Tobi and Ondra. And they were talking about knocking out the guard and if he wakes up and runs to the camp to alert them and such, I then had a thought… Would it be possible to change his clothes while he was knocked out to a faction that they hated and have his own people attack him and kill him because of the way he’s dressed etc? Just curious if this could happen or not…

thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@DrFusselpulli, @ProkyBrambora
That´s for me a very good question!
If a NPC is knocked out, have we access to his inventory? In the beta it´s not possible. Maybe this changed…?
If a NPC is knocked out, can we kill him? I´m not sure…
It wouldn´t make sense if not… :wink:

3 Likes

I agree with everything you stated - we should be granted the ability to loot or kill unconscious NPC. This is a must! About the changing of its clothes - this sounds funny, but it should be NPC stats dependend if it will be killed by his own people or not. After all, they know the person, he speaks their language, so if NPC manage to speak quickly and explain the situation then it shouldn’t be killed by his own. Except that some trigger happy NPC may see the dressed-up NPC and shoot it with a bow from away, before the last has a chance to expain himself. :slight_smile:

Another thing, which is close to common sense. We SHOULD be able to buy a rope and use it to tie up and gag any unconscious NPC. Then drag them to some secluded places and hide them there. This way we won’t need to kill them, but we won’t risk them to wake up and alert others. Makes so much more fun and realism if you are a pacifist person and want to play Deliverance as a sneaky character who doesn’t kill anyone without last resort. @warhorse, what do you say?

Theoretically it is possible.

But there is one main issue that would not allow this.
You have no way how to make an NPC to dress in cuman armor.
If you knock somebody down you can take his clothes away and put there cuman armor, but the NPC will not dress in it.

But the system works for everyone and not only for the player so in such case that the NPC would dress in it, it would be seen as a cuman.

You can probably lock them up somewhere in a room if you have the key.[quote=“Jlyga_u_onacHa, post:3, topic:29737”]
we should be granted the ability to loot or kill unconscious NPC.
[/quote]

Not possible in the beta when I played it, but in the stream, it did look like you had the option to loot the unconscious NPC.

In the latest steam, the prompt to loot the unconscious NPC was there.

In the beta, you could kill unconscious people if you stabbed them. Amusingly, while unconscious, they would scream out in pain, but not wake up and fight back.

Yes, locking them up in a room is also logical, but it is too far fetched compared to just using a rope to tie them up and throw them in the bushes. If the devs pass on this, it will be a huge miss…

1 Like

I’d be very surprised if they introduce tying people up this late in development. The real question is, will we be able to lock doors? So far we have only been able to unlock with keys and lock picking.

1 Like

Me too… unfortunately, it was so obvious that knocking someone uncontious goes together with tying/gagging him that it wasn’t suggested maybe at all… Especially if this NPC could wake up and ruin your plan.

Seriously, I don’t believe this will be so hard to implement. Just another item in the inventory, if they haven’t already made rope as an item. Then several short animations of the tying action and a little altering to game mechanics, so that a tied person could not alert others unless he is seen/freed by anyone. Simple, right?

Fairly simple. The real problem, like I said, is that the game is all but complete, and they are unlikely to be adding new things so late in the game.

Some sort of drug that could be used to knock people unconscious for extended periods is another option. They have hinted at the drug being an option, although they may simply have meant spiking the food as we did in the beta. It was only vaguely mentioned.

1 Like

There is already a sleeping concoction in the beta, I don’t recall being able to make it but I remember the recipe from the book.

It would be a shame not to dose people, if only in cooking pots.

1 Like

Yes, the game is ‘almost’ complete, but we have to wait until mid 2017 to play it…

Drugging people seems easy but even today, thousands of people die from accidental use of prescription drugs.
Henry is an amateur, at best. Slipping a wench some unknown potion in her beer may put her to sleep forever.

Just to make thinks clear here:
Nope, there is still a lot of stuff to do.

2 Likes

A big part of that is the concurrent console and PC release.

1 Like