NPC Dialogue

Great game so far. But, I find that the swearing that some of the commoners make during dialogue break the immersion for me. I understand that people did swear back then, and today we have inherited some words from back then; but, I find that in playing the game it doesn’t seem to fit, and I find it a bit abrasive.

It’s like in some Battlefield-type games, I know soldiers do swear, but do game devlopers NEED to have them swear, just for the realism? Soldiers barking orders sound better than them “F-ing” here and there. If you follow those lines, make the medieval combat with body parts being chopped off and blood spraying everwhere. After a point, some consessions need to be made to make the game fun and family-friendly rather than realistic.

“Family friendly” should in no way be a factor.
We where promised a game that tried its very best to be a good and historical game.

Family friendly was not mentioned in the game description on the kickstarter…
If they remove anything for this reason, the devs would be breaking the promise they made during the kickstarter.

If you have historical sources about the daily language of people I would love to see it… but History should be the main factor. As we where promised.

6 Likes

So realism breaks immersion now? Immersion seems to be one those words people constantly misuse online.

No, they don’t. This isn’t Rainbow Kitty’s Island. That said, a profanity filter for the easily offended wouldn’t hurt, or it could probably be modded in, but would anyone bother to appease a few? My guess is no, and I am fine with that.

Also, this topic has already been discussed here.

I think I know where you’re coming from

Some of the dialogue and use of profanity in the Beta could be seen as gratuitous. But you have to take it both in the context and manner that it was intended. Most of it is supposed to be humorous, and to show that they weren’t taking things too seriously.

I’m certain the final game will be different. And as @ThomasAagaard rightly mentions, this is a game intent on being as realistic in its portrayal and depiction as possible. Keeping in mind that there is also a balance required, to ensure that the messages and themes are understood and communicated in a contemporary manner for a contemporary audience.

EDIT: If that means swearing… like, a fuck-load of swearing… then I’m okay with that :smile:

No they don’t at all, in any way whatsoever:)

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

1 Like

Personal I have no problem with swearing.
But fuck, fuck, fuck, … is very boring. I belive there was a larger variance in swearing and cursing.
Since I’m not a english native speaker, I do not know so much but google helps.

http://www.noswearing.com/dictionary/a

1 Like

In the Middle Ages, swearing was frowned upon…but profanity was not…but profanity reflected a lack of education…

Well, first of: we don´t think the game will be less fun with less swearing. For some people that might be true, while others will have more fun. And second: family-friendly? This is a medieval singleplayer rpg. It is not planned as a family game at all.
You should play this as an adult, and as such you should be strong enough to survive some swearing without problems.

8 Likes

“I know people will be getting shot through the face and brutally murdered in this game, but can we tone down the naughty words?”

Good ol modern priorities…

5 Likes

This topic pops up every once in a while. I personally agree, it’s immersion breaking for me, too. I connect it as much with modern times as the word computer. At this part I don’t care about history in favor of immersion and … sigh … it breaks my heart to say that.

If there is any chance to change something at this point in time I’d suggest a poll (@DrFusselpulli ? :blush: ) about the f word with possible choices:

• perfectly fine with the f word
  • would like to replace it with more different (ye olde) vulgarities
  • would like to have less swearing overall

which would include the most popular stances.

Bring back the term ‘sard’ :smile:

I haven’t done much research into the origins of the word ‘fuck’, but there are some sources out there that suggest it was in use in it’s current form from around the 15th to 16th century. And may indeed have been used earlier than that, but in reference to a strike, or striking, rather than what is today associated with rogering… anyway I’m sure Warhorse’s historian is all over it. And historically, there’s certainly scope for it to be in KCD.

So given that, why should it be immersion breaking for anyone?!

I think you also need to keep in mind that what is considered profanity today, like shit, piss, arse and c**t, were in fact simple colloquial terms used in everyday common language to describe those actions or body parts…

First time I heard the major cursing I was surprised but laughed. I prefer it being authentic even if lots of swears. No compromise for satisfaction but yes to realism :slight_smile:

No, definitely keep the swearing in. As far as known, the medieval times were a dirty place. A sophisticated, well-educated language, especially from the lower classes, would not fit. I mean, look at nowadays times. There is a lot of swearing, no question. On the other side, it might be fun to have some old swearing vocabulary like “By God’s Bones” or so.

I think it’s a lost cause OP. Cussing is a norm today, many people use it in their every day life even in their families, while children listening. Wishing that they would give you some kind of a filter or mute option for their favorite expressions, is a moot. Don’t play the games rated R and don’t let your children do it. You want to make some definitive choices, if you want to retain some things sacred in your family and life. Modern games definitely don’t promote any of that.

Psychology doesn’t work with this kind of logic.
“fuck” is a word that found its way very recently into the german language which is my mother tongue. Thus it might be very different for an e.g. british person.
Given that I instantly connect it with the place I hear it most often and that is the internet or modern american TV shows.
So as realistic as it is, you never hear it in connection with a historical setting. Of course you DO hear a lot in historical settings that isn’t historical at all. Which is sad.

There’s still the chance that I get used to it so it doesn’t disrupt immersion. My major point of critique is the lack of creativity. I guess they knew much more nice curses back then.
Church did keep an eye on every aspect of living already in the middle ages - the only thing I know is they didn’t want the people to call the devil in their curses, so people started to call the names of saints when they were upset. I’m not sure as of which period exactly this started.

PS: Himmelherrgottmariasakramentnochmal! :innocent:

3 Likes

I belive the speech was more pictorial. So making comparisons with the so said bad characteristics of a animal, a thing, a occupation group, etc. will make the swearing not to boring.
Like the stupid, dull, lazy, ball less ox. Or the filthy, stinking dunghill. Or the greedy penny pincher.

Why not sometimes use the good old word bloody for swearing?

Like you bloody old filthy fart of a stinking braindead arshole, stick your stupid head into a place where the sun never shines.

Ja, blutiger Hennadreck. Da zieht ja eine ganz schön vom Leder. :wink:

2 Likes

I am in agreement with the immersion aspect, it does not matter to me that F-word was or was not used back then, the word is such commonality today that its seems very out of place in a medieval game. So many other words you could use (Sard or such). I don’t think it would be a hard ask, from my understanding it simply came over as a translation into English and the devs were not satisfied with it either.

Game is sure looking beautiful

1 Like

(hi, just joined for this)

I think the swearing and word usage is hugely immersion breaking.
This is not a matter of sensibilities or family friendly.

The people of the period were a bit closer to raw life than we are so i would argue that vary course language is perfectly accurate. But not the same as out language, or the language in game.
There are factual descriptions (cuntgrope road) and very suggestive humour and jokes, as well as a sort of fascination with arseholes.

But
The main swear words of the day seem to be related to blasphemy, zounds (gods wounds) and deliberate mention of pagan gods. Which is why in medieval literature you still get things like ‘by Jove’. An deliberate blasphemy was more shocking in the time to something like ‘shit’ that would have been a lot less seperate than in our society.

I can reference this with period sources, medieval jokebooks and collections of stories. Such as the decamerion, the heptameron show both the blasphemy and lewdness of everyday conversation.

Jan

1 Like

Thought i might ad a very accessible example of medieval lewdness and swearing can be found in chaucers the Millers tale.
Including the prologue to see the reactions and how this sort of talk was looked on by different people