Old possibly dying Power supply causing lockups?

I have a 5-6 year old 750W power supply. The rest of the PC has been recently updated. When I play KCD there are screens and areas than seem to demand extra graphics power from the power supply. When this happens the fan makes a vibrating rattle( drawing more than its age can handle?) . If this goes on for a while ( like going thru a forest or staying on the start screen for a long period the game locks up the PC hard requiring a reboot after a 2 min wait ( cool down?).
Consulting my computer shop techs it seems I need a new PS.
I am going for an new 850 unit when the shop get its shipment in next week.
Only KCD does this. It seems to be a very demanding of resources game
Thought I’d bring this up as a reference for trouble shooting.

You probably wouldnt need an 850w one… (and Id take a quality 600w over a cheaper 800w anyday)

Newer video cards are more power efficient.
800w + used to be the realm of dual video cards etc.
Given dual card setups are rare, and typical video cards arent eating 350w of power anymore… (go for quality over quantity).

I am in the exact same camp. .
KCD is one of the few games that actually uses my system grunt.
My power supply fans actually kicks on and is the only sound my system makes (I built a quiet PC), the power supply being five years old isnt at full output anymore and it ramps up it heat and needs to ‘fan up’ to stay frosty.

If I had to replace my 750w today?- even with my triple card capable system - I certainly wouldnt buy more than an 800w unit.

I already have a lot of headroom, and that is with 4xram chips/5 x storage drives/2x optical drives and a highly overclocked cpu and gpu if I want too.

For me it was adding the second optical drive that pushed me out of ‘easy headroom to spare’ zone…

I have owned machines in the past- so on the verge of their power supply limit than any extra ram chip/optical drive or usb device would push too far…

For now- you could unplug any unecessary optical drives/storage drives and USB devices and you might be outta trouble till next week.

If you are not confident in this process -then dont touch anything… its only a few days to wait :wink:

Old guts was a dual card Nvidia system.
gonna wait out that electrical octopus crammed into a mid tower. till next Wednesday
the 580 card takes up a lot of space. with all the heavy wiring jammed in between.

Perhaps the ossues are exacerbated by case heat…

What happens when you game with case side off?
Same issues in same timeframes…

(Do check this- your power supply might be fine in differing usage scenarios -eg heat/load)

had the side off and still rattled. Think the fan bearing is beginning to fail under a load. I used a mechanics stethoscope and yup it is in the PS under a load.
as to case cooling:
I have 2 intake fans in the front of the ssd’s and one larger exhaust one in the top and the same in the back with 3 of them with a speed control switch set to max( 4th by an ssd is a constant speed replacement) with an option of mounting another on left side panel.
To reduce dust contamination I have the intake vents covered by Swiffer pads and they haven’t caused an issue in the past and now and they work.

Dang it man, You seem to know a lot about Computers and shit… Do you have Twitter or Youtube?

In that situation Id turn off a few fans… or unplug a few devices not necessarily needed…

By lowering the power requirements on the system we can sometimes avoid the issue of the power supply being at max.

In my system,recently, having six high performance fans lying around- I made all fans in my system running in push pull and ‘doubled up’… (more power draw but less decibels of fan sound)… to make a silent PC.
Adding a second optical drive pushed too hard… the power draw finally pushed my 750w power supply to a high power draw and its heat generation forced the fan on, or on at a higher speed. It was the only sound in my room… everytime the power supply fan turned on (system under load)… all acoustical benefits of ‘lots of fans’/silent was lost…

Removing a couple of fans, and I went under the threshold that triggered the power supplies fan.

Two option then existed for me- swap the fan in the power supply or buy a quiet power supply.

For the cost of a high quality silent fan with equal airflow to your exising power supplies fan wpuld probably cost you 1/5 the projects cost… (probably not worth the time investment if you are “money rich/tume poor”)

Your rx580 is a low power draw part.
Especially vs your previous dual card setup…

I think you could find ways to avoid the need of a new power supply; but I also think I could be overreading this… it sounds easy enough to throw cash at the problem, and true, every six years or so a new power supply might prove great for ALL system components, and has value…

Maybe mount an existing fan outside the power supply and mayhaps the power supplies fan wont be needed due to temperature not raising in the first place.

Anyway has been a recent project for me, with many parallels to my project.
Given the age of my power supply I too could justify a power supply change.
Dropping a few unneeded overclocks and unnecessary parts (not leaving a razer hydra, saitek x52, razer nostromo, xbox wireless dongle as well as dual keyboards and mice all plugged in simultaneously),… and the problem went away.
So did removing four fans from the nine installed.

I did buy quieter more efficient fans on the journey… that worked for me…

Replacement PSU installed: 850W
Fancy-scmancy, it has plug in jacks and cables for connectors I don’t have or might have of had.
A more advanced looking fan and seems quieter than the intake/ outtake fans.
It got stressed once after install but not by the game, another program demanded a lot for a few seconds.
between this, 1.42 and changes made to the mods I use to make the mod folder format: No problems, other than the low framerate.

I use a 630W PS together with 2x GTX660ti without problems…dont think that you have to upgrade due to KCD’s requirements

I have 2 drive intake cooling fans , 2 5" exhaust fan, 2 fans on the 580 1700Mhz 8gig ( and the 580 itself) and the one the CPU, the Athalon CPU, 16 gigs of ram
Then there are 2 ssd drives, one older disc HD.
Throw in the games graphic demands on a non super-duper system.
I think there is quite a demand.
after the install and back home I was updating a program ( forgot what, windows updater?) and it stressed the PSU for about 5 sec. ( no game running)

Ok ok…in total i got:

3x intake fans
2x exhaust fans
2x graphic cards
1x SSD
2x HDDS
1x USB Audio Codec
1x Midi Keyboard
1x Bluetooth Dongle
2x USB Hub
1x External HDD Dock
1x Watercooling for CPU = i7 Overclocked @ 16GB Ram
aaaaaaaaand wired mouse and keyboard…
…you should really don’t need more than 650W, trust me :wink:

I am having a similar issue, did installing a new PSU fixed the issue for you?

MY SPECS:

Ryzen 2700x

MSI rx580 gaming x 8gb

msi b450 gaming pro ac

2x8gb flarex 3200mhz memory

phanteks p400s case with 3 corsair 120mm fans, 2 intake 1 exhaust

evga 650bq bronze (3 year old and possibly low quality) <- suspect