Paywall for KC mods?

When I submitted money for this game, percieved and later confirmed support for modifications was really nice feature to hear.

Now I see a Twitter profile of Mr. Vavra strongly agreeing with placing mods behind a paywall, thinking it is a time for modders to “adapt to this new environment”.

Are mods going to be paywalled for KC:D?

I don’t see him agreeing.
Might as well just be saying this is the way things are going, get use to it.

As you surely know, he was commenting on Valve allowing modders to set price for their mod if they want — and so it was primary decision of the author of the mod, right?
So I wouldn’t call it a paywall. And I do not think that Warhorse will be aggainst or even block mods that their author releases for free.

1 Like

Well, in regards to Valve it´s already off the table …

For Skyrim but I actually think they will try it aggain with some new title.

PS: Any chance I saw you at IL-2 BoS forum asking something about Stuka?

hopefully WH is not that stupid. Everyone knows that any good mod sells the game, free or payed. There will always be an option to pirate it so there is no point to piss us off forcing monetization for all mods. I am actually looking forward to this once a better system is implemented. I am curious what moders here think would be a reasonable cut for WH ?

how will paid mods even work? how will they enforce any anti piracy measures this way? all the guy has to do is buy the mod, then upload it from his own hard drive. and mods aren’t terribly huge files, so there’s no convenience barrier where a guy has to spend a week downloading through torrent.

it just seems unenforceable and clearly an attempt to profit off of the work of creative people who do this stuff for free. 75% i rest my case.

1 Like

No-one knows at this point. Steam shut it down because it divided the community and people got upset. Valve will have to change the rules because there were many issues and piracy was not the biggest one. People will pirate until the service is good but Steam was taking 30% cut per mod just for a file hosting. No mod quality control (no filtering out bad mods, not making sure mods will be updated, no refunds if a mod is not compatible with another one or if it breaks your game etc… + some legal issues (his mods uses my mod…). Publishers sets their cuts for each game themselves and the rest goes to the modder. Bethesda chose to take 45% which sounds pretty greedy but probably makes sense nowadays (compare to regular publisher/studio/developer situation +popular’licence’ -the fact that the mod may actually increase the sells of the game). Steam will probably let modders to charge fixed amounts and/or optional donation with set minimum donation.
People will be still able to publish free mods (most likely not in steam) unless game publishers says otherwise.

I think that Kingdom come should ask for much smaller cut. and keep modders as free as possible. For its own good.

Yes, I´m also on the BoS forums - not sure though if I was asking something abou the Stuka recently.
You´re flying too?

@topic
I think copyrights and compatibility issues are the biggest problems when it comes to monetizing mods.
Probably a “Donate” button where Valve and the Publisher are getting a small amount would be best for both sides if they want to make some money out of mods.

I think it can work but definitly not the skyrim way. If steam or developers want to keep a significant part of the money, they should have to do some work for it. The skyrim community is huge and there is an incredible amount of mods. Making it more organized would be a great idea. If those funds where used for proper maintanence, like (com)patches (maybe even integrating essental mods in to the main game), moderation or sorting out broken mods, it would be fair to charge for it.

Sure people could pirate mods but the same argument can be used for DLCs and what is the real difference between DLCs und Mods you have to pay for anyway? But I am not saying there should be no more free mods just that the modding communities have grown incredibly large. Compatibility and maintanance will only become a larger issue. So coordinating all this projects to work togeter becomes nessecary, but it might not be the kind of thing that people like to do for free because it is so much fun.

I only want to say … we stopped valve and Bethesda Softworks.
No Buyable mods anymore…these Losers!
They can give hands with CheatHappens
which destroyed the trainer scene.

And when the last river dried up and the last tree has been felled,
then they will notice that they can’t eat money!

I will only pay for mods like the upcoming Black Mesa Overhaul version
or the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha Directors Cut version.
This would make sense and not "buy a holy golden bucket for 0,45€"
or pay for "playing as a red/purple/pink MyLittlePony"
Shame on such people!

I don’t like the idea of paid mods. Maybe it can work for those huge mod teams (ie total conversion mods), but even then not for the 25% pittance. In general I think that it will harm the community. With Bethesda commercial mods used to be explicitly forbidden in the Construction Set license.
I did a couple of mods for TES:Oblivion and the mod community back then was pretty great in terms of sharing assets, code snippets and workarounds (Bethesda’s mod tools are as buggy as their games and it is impossible to community patch them…). I think that this kind of atmosphere would change quickly if there is a monetary incentive too keep your work for yourself.
However I was asked a few times to make a personal mod for someone who offered money. If it was an idea I liked I did it for free, if it wasn’t I always declined to make the mod at all.

For me, the Skyrim affair hase been almost nothing but dissappointment - from both sides. The uproar and making BSG+Valve change their minds was positive evidence of community strenghts - but the collateral damage dealt by the same community, however unavoidable and unsurprising, makes me sad and sad only. And to think this was just a video game…:frowning:

1 Like

I can understand setting price for some mods. Some games have mods that has required hundreds of hours from maker to make it and those mods are like full games inside of game but it should be judged by case.

Not recently. It was a while.
Yes I’m. Mainly in He-111.

As far as i know, donate do not work as few people actually do donate. But yes, the copyrights is the biggest problem, not sure how it could be solved.

I think donations don´t have to “work” in the traditional sense of “working” - modders wouldn´t sell their mods but would get a donation for their effort from people who´d appreciate it.
So there wouldn´t be any problems with the copyrights and stuff like that because they wouldn´t sell the content itself.
Valve and the publishers could still take a cut for offering the possibility within their platform.

Ah, yeah - a while ago I think I was aksing something about the Stuka.
Do you fly BoS on a regular basis and online?
I only fly from time to time as I spend most of my flying time in DCS but would be nice to fly with someone else together from time to time as I´m a lone wolf in BoS yet ^^

By “work” I ment exactly this. People do not donate even in this sense as far as I know. And anyway, I think there is nothing wrong on something like “market” where people can sell models etc… it works for engines, 3d programs etc…

Rather time to time. I also fly Il-2 1946 and RoF with friends and for some reason they refuze play BoS (unlocks I guess). Fly mainly on Syndicate or Eagle Nest. If you have Steam Im Wenceslas (Czech Republic) there.