PC Retail Version and DRM

Since there is no DRM-free version confirmed 90 minutes before the campaign ends, I canceled my pledge. There will be possibility to pledge through this site later, so no big deal, but there has to be drm-free version, if they want my support. Best luck guys.

3 Likes

Pretty much that, yes. And since CD-Keys are absolutely useless, they can drop DRM altogether :stuck_out_tongue: Seriously tho, any protection will get cracked out extremely soon. There’s no need to inconvenience customer in any way. CD Project has released the second Witcher DRM-free (at least online) and didn’t seem to suffer any negative consequences.

1 Like

The GOG games are DRM free.

DRM free does not mean you can “share” your game.

DRM only means that you need to verify online that you are the only one playing “this” copy of the game.

A DRM free game only gives you the game free of DRM for YOUR convenience. You are still not allowed to share your game. A DRM free game assumes you accept the licence in good faith.

For example STEAM ensures and enforces this licence. A DRM free game is not controlled in any way.

Not a big deal.

Example of a GOG Game: http://i.imgur.com/dIWXjIt.jpg

3 Likes

In my experience with boxed games of late, even if you buy in a store, you still end up putting your game key into Steam to verify/activate. DRM.

Not really. Only modern DRMs have online confirmation and not all of them.

Since the game is only partially crowdfunded (1 Million through Kickstarter, 3 Million through a private investor), they have to make sure they gain enough profit to pay off their investor. I could imagine that as soon as they make enough money from retail sales, the digital copy of Act I will become at least DRM-free, if not completely free.

DRM is a “modern” concept. It just applies to “digital” stuff which means downloadable content. What you mean is probably something like disc copy protection tools which are actually not the same as DRM… :wink:

there are, however, many competing definitions. With First-generation DRM software, the intent is to control copying; With Second-generation DRM, the intent is to control executing, viewing, copying, printing and altering of works or devices. The term is also sometimes referred to as copy protection, copy prevention, and copy control, although the correctness of doing so is disputed. DRM is a set of access control technologies

3 Likes

I would very much hope for a DRM free version.
I do not like to use steam, i prefer to have full access and knowledge on everything that happens with my PC. Yeah, i may be extreme, but i have no Steam installed on my Machine (though i bought 2-3 steam titles, but in fact i´ve pretty much never played them). Now my GOG library is pretty full.
Usually if a game does come out on Steam, it is dead for me as a buy.
For this game i sort of made an exception, but i´d be much happier if there was a DRM free Version as well. If it was physical only, i´d gladly up my pledge for that.
Steam DRM is relatively worthless as a copy protection anyways, the question is, if the protection approach is the best one nowadays or if there are other ways. But that´s an extended discussion probably for another place.

2 Likes

GOG!!! But failing that, I would at least agree with Korlian’s comment:

“I naturally prefer complete DRM free stuff, but I could live with a one-time online activation. What I don’t like are games bound to an account, so Steam as a protection against pirating would be one of my last choices.”

For the 1000th time: Steam is not about copy protection (which is almost impossible because copy protection is a definition of disc/physical releases). Steam is about resale prevention.And Steam is about services. Yeah, that’s even its primary focus.

You just harm yourself by ignoring Steam. 90% of today’s games are on Steam and if you ignore them you miss a huge load of fun. It’s of course still up to you but I would recommend to reconsider your motivation and reasons again. In the end you just pay a few bucks for a good time while playing. I don’t see why Steam should take that away from you in any way. Imo that’s a very ignorant and self-harming point of view, sry. :wink:

2 Likes

Except he’s not ignorant and self harming himself at all, he has a right to own what he buys into, the same could be said for origin and Uplay.

It’s actually better to have all 3 services become completely DRM free from a consumer perspective.

Also Steam becoming a monopoly is not a good thing, monopolies in general are not good things at all, no matter how you try to look at it, it is never always good for everyone on the planet.

2 Likes

Not really LOL. Steam was maybe monopoly when it started. Now there are services as Origin (I don’t buy origin games :smiley: ) and GoG.

DRM only hurts the people that pay for titles as anyone that wants something for free will just get a cracked version without the tears that so many drm systems provide.
hell in some cases people download a crack for a game they paid just to get rid of the drm.

4 Likes

At least if it is not some rubbist as Securom or such :wink:

[quote=“Sun_Streaker, post:35, topic:7481, full:true”]
Except he’s not ignorant and self harming himself at all, he has a right to own what he buys into, the same could be said for origin and Uplay.[/quote]
Of course he harms himself. Not playing a game you would enjoy out of some weird principle is self-harming at its very best. There is no valid arugment why you for example shouldn’t buy a really great game for 5 bucks on a sale. You just pay for a good time, for entertainment. You don’t have to own anything for that. See it as some kind of lending/borrowing…

I guess you’re ok with borrowing a console game for a fee but not with paying the same amount of money for a game on Steam that you could possibly play for years while you have to bring back your console game after seven days… That just makes no sense. :wink:

Talking about principles in theory is ok. But you actually harm yourself if you can’t leave your black-and-white thinking in reality.

I don’t have any problems with DRM-free games. If Warhorse decides to offer that I’m perfectly fine with it and happy for everyone who prefers that. But saying something like that you won’t buy or play the game if it won’t be released DRM-free is just, well, self-harming in a way… :wink:

1 Like

Might sound crazy, but not everybody’s lives revolve solely around playing videogames. Some people can actually have fun with indie games and DRM-free stuff that comes out on GOG and Desura + loads of games sold in retail without Steamworks or other DRM.

And as crazy as it seems, some people have different priorities and ideals than you do and will willingly limit themselves to make a point. It’s not ‘harming oneself’, it’s standing by your guns.

3 Likes

They don’t make a point. They just limit themselves. That’s the simple but sad truth.

But of course you can have fun with game which don’t have any kind of fun. You can also have fun without even playing video games at all. Nobody denies that. :wink:

The one and only way you can make publishers hear you is to not give them money and to not use their products. When somebody disagrees with a way industry is going, limiting oneself is the only way to make a difference, as small as it might in fact be. The only way to make a point, so to speak. For instance, I will gladly limit myself by never buying games that require always-online connection, unless they’re marketed as MMOs.

2 Likes

Of course you’re right in principle. But in fact you don’t make a point by not buying a game with DRM. Nobody knows why exactly you don’t buy it. Publishers could also think that you don’t buy it because you don’t like it. In that case they would conclude that people just don’t like the genre or the quality of the game and would discontinue to make certain games. That doesn’t help anybody tbh.

If you don’t want DRM write a letter/mail to the developer or publisher. But not buying a game you like just because it is released only on Steam for example is kind of pointless. It doesn’t help anyone or any cause…