PC Retail Version and DRM

Hi there,

I know that Warhorse have said to release KCD most likely on Steam and that they’re willing to but not sure whether or not they’ll release it DRM free. My question is in regard to the physical or retail versions: does anyone know if Warhorse said something about these being DRM free or not? I couldn’t find any information on that one.

Any info would be appreciated.
Greetings.

3 Likes

They haven’t said anything about that so far.

Steam basically is DRM.
They can go for Steam (very likely) or GOG, which is DRM free as far as I know.

3 Likes

Steam was already confirmed.

1 Like

I know they confirmed Steam for the Digital Versions. But I haven’t heard a word about the Retail Versions. I also know that there’s usually no difference, but sometimes the Retail Version is released without Steam DRM while the Digital Version has it. I was hoping for such a situation with KCD.

I asked the same thing about the physical version, but they haven’t confirmed anything yet.

If they game is run via Steam I think(hope) the game will be free DRM and we’ll be able to play it Offline

If its going to have DRM, Steam would be my favorite.

Even though I have games on Steam I’d much rather them not use it due to Steam being DRM, so in short I’d much prefer a non DRM version.

I’d prefer the ownership of my games.

1 Like

I tend to prefer the CD Projekt Red approach. If you put out a quality product with lots of added value people will pay for it. It was bold, and probably a little frightening, to put their games up on GOG.com without DRM. But I bet it’s paid off in people wanting to buy the game directly from GOG (which they own) to not have aggravating DRM to deal with.

8 Likes

DRM has no real reason. Who wants pay - pays. Who don’t …
There is no question IF a crack will be available, but WHEN.

Steam DRM is fair and can be accepted, but any special “disk killing” DRMs are waste of time and money.

1 Like

All the games that are sold on Good Old Games are DRM free. This is why I prefer buying them there instead of Steam as long as they offer it as well. However, Steam is increasing their support of Linux and quite a few new games there have Linux support (all Valve games for example…cause they are the company behind Steam), which I really like. Unfortunately GOG does not support Linux…at least not yet, so I will probably get a Steam version of the game anyway.

When I buy games from Steam or GOG I compare the bonuses I get. Steamcards, achievements and cloud sync - versus wallpapers, OST and other bonus goodies. DRM freedom has never bothered me actually, so any option is fine.

3 days until the end of campaign on Kickstarter and still no official statement about DRM-free box/digital version? This is quite important detail that may affect backers.

1 Like

i realy hope it can be played offline as the hole online to play thing is annyoing as hell. as a truck driver most days i dont have internet access when i stop at the end of the day i want to play my games but if its locked for not having internet access all i can do is be upset thay are punishing me who payed because thay feared i wouldn’t pay them.

This is not an official reply, only my personal thoughts on the problem.

Firstly, we are not completely sure how the game is eventually going to be distributed. On some territories at least we may want to work with a local distributor (on retail sales of boxed version) and it may be that the local distributor will insist on some form of DRM. We would never consent to use some really intrusive DRM (e.g. StarForce of infamous memory), though.

We understand that cracks will be made available and there is little we can do about it, especially on an off-line only game. Still, I think there’s – especially for a boxed version – a value in preventing the most casual copying, e.g. by a simple online check of a serial number (a one time connection to licensing server, no need to be constantly online).

So these are my 2 cents.

Martin

8 Likes

Hi Martin,

thank You for Your detailed answer. I naturally prefer complete DRM free stuff, but I could live with a one-time online activation. What I don’t like are games bound to an account, so Steam as a protection against pirating would be one of my last choices.

Greetings,
Sebastian

I think that’s a wise way to approach it. A one-time check would allow gamers to play offline which is important for some players. You just want to be careful not to replicate the fiasco that Spore caused where you couldn’t play the game on another computer because their server constantly got confused on how many machines were authorized.

1 Like

Same here, although I’d prefer a CD key to online activation.

1 Like

As some have already mentioned, having a CD key /w a one time only online activation (not sure if GOG.com would support such though) should not be any problem for a boxed version. For me personally it would be a huge bummer if I now pledge but the game would only be available with Steams online DRM even with the boxed version, because I do no longer use Steam over 2 years now after it constantly blowed its chances with me.

However, while a local distributor might want to have some kind of copy protection enforced on the medium in the box, he certainly cannot dictate whether or not you can also publish it on GOG.com, can he?

I am eyeing with the KING Edition right now and for that I am more interested in the physical goodies, like the action figure, art book, making of etc. and having something of value decorating my room and something to wear, the physical copy of the game however is of very low value to me and a GOG.com download would have much more use.

But I think, regardless how this plays out, I will pledge for that KING Edition anyway, just for the goodies and knowing I supported an Idea of a game that deserves to get real.

These are my 2 cents :wink: