Perfect Block Clarification

Hey guys just wanted to get some clarification on the mechanics of the perfect block.

When I preform a successful prefect block what is supposed to happen. Does it just block, or is it supposed to set up a stagger or counter, as I can block anytime even without the shield icon showing.

Often times I will get the slow mo animation and I will block and I find myself waiting for some other action.

So basically what are all the possible outcomes of a perfect block? And I don’t have to do anything but hit Q and time it right to execute it, correct?

Thanks

A perfect block won’t eat up your stamina basically. But if you learn master strokes, your perfect blocks will turn into ripostes and you’ll counter stack(not every single one of them mind you).

1 Like

Cool thanks, so if nothing happens immediately after a perfect block I can go back to fighting. My defense and warfare are high enough now that I do think I have seen a riposte or counter attack once or twice.

let me clarify:

Perfect Blocks are available after the initial training from Captain Bernard. When you see the green icon, press the block button to fully defend against the attack, taking no damage and costing veeeeery little stamina.

Seeking further instruction from Captain Bernard, he can teach you Master Strikes, which are an enhanced version of Perfect Block that parries the opponent’s blow and does a quick strike, which opens up the enemy for a guaranteed attack (good for starting combos).

HOWEVER, to pull off a Master Strike you have to block when the enemy is starting their attack animation, BEFORE you see the green shield. At first this is very difficult, but my advice is to look at the enemy’s weapon arm, NOT the cursor in the middle of the screen. Once it moves back for an attack, press block.

Again, you need training before you can do this, otherwise you’ll just do a regular perfect block. To train effectively, I trained with a shortsword, no shield, meaning Cpt. Bernard was super fast and I had to get used to reading opponent attacks. After a few minutes, it became easy as can be.

Lastly, levels in Defence as well as the Weapon you are using increase the window during which you can successfully pull off a master strike, so the timing is more forgiving. I hope this clarification helps!

3 Likes

Thanks! Yah I had heard that you have to block before the icon shows up, and again, this would have been nice to learn from the game, instead the forums.

Careful now, after 1.3.1 you won’t be able to learn these perfect blocks with maces or axes. Swords only, as far as I know.
The training quest with Bernard got bugged. Hopefully will be fixed in a week when 1.3.4 comes out.

I learned them already, although I rarely use anything but a sword.

Thanks so much!!!
I did not know that up to know and thought it was just random chances
just did the training again to see if this was explained and it actually is indicated in the text but not clearly told by bernard (and during the first training I had not read that text as I was concentrated on the opponent and you cannot pause to read the text)

Glad I could help, I figured it out when the slow-motion prompt to block came up before I ever saw the green shield icon. Then tested it in real-time against Bernard training with real weapons (each one) as well as against bandits, and it turned out to be true.