Pickpocketing is too random

I want to be good at pickpocketing, but there is no feedback to the player if you’re doing it right or wrong. I just hold E and sometimes the NPC notice me right away (even if they’re sleeping), sometimes I can hold for 16 seconds. Is the green/red supposed to mean anything, because it feels totally random.

1 Like

I think green means you have higher chance for successful pickpocketing
red means lower chance - this means you can also get noticed when its green
but I’m not sure about it, need official confirmation

1 Like

Green means you are safe to continue, while red means “STOP” and exit quickly, before you are caught. Then simply try again, or run for the hills, if you were caught.

That’s what I thought, but I can hold for 16 seconds and it being red all the time and I can hold for 2 seconds when it’s green and get noticed immediately and also vice versa. It’s completely random.

Hello, you have to also take in consideration your stats, like noise, visibility etc… this thread might be usefull for you Best clothes for thief and stealth mode

When trying this, I have 30 visibility, 30 conspic. and 17 noise. My stealth is at level 6, my pickpocketing at level 4. It’s night time and the NPC I’m trying to pickpocket is sleeping.

• List item

The game itself is too fresh to know exactly how pickpocketing works, but I can give you my experience and maybe it will help you in some way. I was practising on common people during nights in Ratay, bought “thief gear” and completed all quests for Vagabond. This allowed me to have decent amount of perks in pickpocketing and stealthing. Also I always preferred the lowest noise level before visibility, for example 30 visibility + 15 noise was acting far worse for me than 45 visibility + 0 noise.

I always remove everything for 0 noise and pickpocket the Skallitz refugees camping out at the bottom of Rattay. Go at night so visibility isnt really an issue, there are like 2 guards that go by down there in my experience, and with 0 noise you can just pick pocket away. You want to be careful that you keep an eye out though because I’ve had other refugees wake up and I didnt realize it and they saw me. Or I would knock out a sleeping refugee too close to another one and they would hear me and go tell on me lol. Its relatively easy pickpocketing experience down there though

grab perks when you can, there is one where you get bonuses if people are around. This works well when people are sleeping in camps or in places like the Rathaus where multiple people are around but they’re all sleeping.

I pick pocket by stabbing them with a knife and then looting their dead body.

2 Likes

I think that’s murder :joy:

1 Like

Does it really matter which one of the ten commandments I violate? I’m just gonna go to confession like a good Christian and clear it all up anyway.

1 Like

I rarely use pickpocket lol. Seems I get real unlucky haha. Kingdom Come Deliverance can be unforgiving.

fair enough

Even if this would boil down to me not having 0 in noise or not having specific perks, the fact is still there that the pickpocket system isn’t working as intended. Because, as I said, it’s completely random when a NPC notices you. Even if it’s green, even if it’s red. It’s not fun and it needs a fix.

@Kiwigalaxy I’m assuming you have not leveled much in the skill either, so Henry is absolute shit at pickpocketing. For easy experience, just start pickpocketing then leave immediately. What I mean is don’t worry about holding the button to get more time to look around or worry oabout looking for something in general, you just get into their pockets and leave immediately without even looking for anything. You will get exp for just “trying”. Do this when people are around and when you are completely alone just give it a shot, and if they notice you punch em out.

when its another npc (not the one you’re pickpocketing) it surely doesnt matter if red or green cause when he sees you its too late.
I dont think that the system is bugged, its just not 100% clear what the red/green means - imo like I said green just means lower chance to get caught

1 Like

I agree. I think red/green is if the one being robbed will wake up/notice. If someone sees you you’re definitely in trouble. Gotta have that crowd control perk where you get better when people are around; or at least that is what makes sense to me, why else would you need it if the crowd wasn’t a big factor? Remember, unlike Skyrim and other games, there is no way to know if you are in line of sight of someone until they say something acknowledging your presence.

also, couple crowd control(or whatever that perk is called) with pickpocketing the Skalitz refugees in Rattay while theyre all sleeping. Theyre asleep so there is really really small chance they wake up, I just get down to my undergarments for 0 sound and dont worry about visibility cuz its night time and theyre all sleeping). Pick pocket every other person, so in case I make sound or something it makes me feel better, and I hardly ever get caught.

Again, if you want to level up easy, just initiate a pick pocket and then exit. You’ll still get experience and you dont need to worry as much about being caught by the victim, because you should be being quick about it.

And if you get caught you can still talk your way out with the other skills