Poll: Voiceovers, accents and archaic language

BTW we will most likely have Czech voiceovers, so it should be possible to decide between English and Czech with subs. We will most likely have German and French as well.

22 Likes

After playing 0.3 I was a little concerned at how much of what I was hearing was something I could hear out on the street walking around, but after revisiting the old videos with the Shakespearean English I was confused.

Its like the TPV debate someone is going to feel left out and upset.

The way I see it most people are gamers v.s. historians yes there are those that one full historical reenactment but there’s allot of us backers who would be lost.

So I like the placeholders but I am curious at how much of the crass language would have been spoken and how often? sometimes it seems like curse words were being thrown simply because “we could”.

2 Likes

It is a little bit Off-Topic, but now I want to ask,
is the spokesman for Henry already clear?
And it is still the same person/voice as in the publisher version?

1 Like

I would prefer modern modern international english with some some archaic words/phrases here and here, since i fear it would be hard as a non english native to understand pure archaic language. I’d like a subtitle option for it and it may be nice to have a subtitle in archaic/shaskesperean english option as well as it may be fun as well as educative.

1 Like

Modern English, with lots archaic phrases and words mixed in, in czech accent.

4 Likes

I am American, and I beg of you to avoid putting my accent in this game. Please do anything else, just no American accent! Hearing my accent in this game mentally takes me out of 1400s Europe, and puts me in some role-playing village at the renaissance fair in West Virginia. It completely ruins the immersion for me. Please no American accent! Please!! I personally prefer to hear the accents of the specific country the story is taking place in. Dan… I love your accent! Use Dan’s accent! Anything but American. I also like when there is a mixture of accent and native language (think Ezio in Assassin’s Creed 2). Ezio would speak English with an Italian accent and then use real Italian words mixed in the dialogue (this is just an example, but something you might consider). For me, and all my American friends/family, if we hear American accents in a European setting, then its not a European setting. Americans don’t even speak real English, we just make things up as we go. Haha! If you fail me then at least I have the option of listening to Czech and reading English subtitles. Thanks guys!

24 Likes

I say stay true to the native Czech or which ever language is meant to be spoken, according to the lore as the place it is set with the people there and all the realistic features according. That is nice and also having touches of realistic swearing and partly Shakespearean or just old English, would suit very well in my opinion.
What ever it comes out as, grammar and proper execution is critical. As this is most certainly a very important aspect of the game.
I do hope you get people involved with proper down-to-earth and gritty voices, or those who can put on such voices. Those who suit as such, and ones with a wide variety of skill at that. :speech_balloon:

2 Likes

modern english just sounds really weird, I prefer either the local dialects or Shakespeare english at least. I’d even like Czech with subtitles.

3 Likes

Ha Ha got it…
If you talk to a person who starts a animation or interact with object,
you can be a lucky guy and see the dialogues in the 1st person view :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
AND for me, it is very awesome and much better.
Not only for atmoshere, for performance too!
Last thing i want to say about the Dialogues, languages, etc. :blush:

I prefer original (czech and german or latin - I mean, it is strong for story to use Henry speaks czech to some people and german or latin to others (not only Henry)) - old version of language is not necessary.
My second preference is author’s version in english (strong actor)

I do not like more language version, but average quality each

(I get it: majority czech voiceovers and supplementary german, latin is cheaper; both (original, english) can not have motioncapture; more language version is good for sales = it’s still Sophie’s Choice)

2 Likes

I’d be very disappointed to see it in Czech only as that would remove me from any real immersion since I’m stuck looking down at the bottom of the screen listening to (what is to me) gibberish. English while keeping it a bit archaic sounds great.

I kinda liked the idea of shakespearian touch, but it might proboably come out a bit forced so the second option is for me.

Same opinion here. That would be the most accurate option

I chose the second option, though I would also prefer British accents - not a big thing, though.

1 Like

Noice! :flushed:
Based on the fact it is to be a production for this era I would say modern international English with a smattering of period language or complete phrases, rather than the occasional word thrown in. I think you may get away with more archaic english for written, in-game elements than spoken language.

Personally as a native speaker I have no problem with accented English where it is obvious the speaker is German/Czech/Hungarian/not a native speaker, to the contrary I like hearing different accents; however, my French is very basic from lack of use and German is on a par with my Urdu (yeah it’s like that).

I’m not opposed to subtitled translations but how well would this be received by the playerbase at large? Where it appears to be mostly disliked.

It isn’t available but thank you,
to avoid emotional interpretations fail, it is the best solution.
(And I hope it is understandable, what I mean.)
But this one stands alone again.
No one will be able to understand and is something that no one understands.
Sorry but i think the localization will be… bad, in some situations!

the old shakespearan voiceovers were better than the modern american english imo

4 Likes

I would like the characters to speak English but have Czech accents. This would feel the most immersive in my opinion.

1 Like

I’ve chosen the 2nd option. However why not have characters talk in certain ways or languages? In my company I’ve seen people talking bilingual in a dialogue, because they were able to understand both languages but could speak one language more fluently. Therefore they choose the language they feel more comfortable with.

You might use the social standing or the profession as an indicator. Please don’t use accents. Dying Light was really awful in some of their dialogues.

2 Likes

Yes, please. A British accent may sound out of place, but a forced casual American accent even more so. The current voice-overs sound like they belong in an 80s Michael J. Fox movie, much less a game set in early fifteenth-century Bohemia. I regret to say I find them absolutely abysmal.

P.S. English accents come with the added benefit that it’s very easy to emulate social class distinctions. E.g. estuary English for middle class, East-London Mockney for lower class thugs, Received Pronunciation for nobles, Northern English for rural communities, … It’s all but politically correct, but it’s omnipresent in entertainment. Game of Thrones, for instance, quite explicitly does this. It is much more difficult to emulate class with American accents.

4 Likes

I’m not sure how to put it but as a person with zero knowledge in Czech, I think voicing the game in the native language would cause people to feel disconnected with the characters/storyline even though its more immersive (?) and accurate.

I, would, however be a strong proponent of the use of accents to help designate/emphasize the origin/culture of characters.

1 Like