Pop-up message "Level is Missing" (leading to crash - Fix)

Hi, if you encounter a dialog window saying “Level is missing” and then your game crashes, please check your game installation path for any folder name above/before “SteamApp” directory, and see if it contains the word, “load”.

For example, if your default Steam games installation folder is in a path like this one, “D:\Download\SteamApp…”, then please change either the folder name, “DownLOAD” into anything without “load” in it or better yet, move the KCD installation directory to another path where this word does not appear. If you want to move an already installed KCD game, please do so only via SteamApp and not via File Manager (Steam app has to know about the change) – here is the guide - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Please note that this issue will be resolved with an upcoming patch soon.

i guess i dont get it right but that kind of problem effecting the usual steamapps/downLOADing folder for updates?

Yes, kind of, but if you will rename the folder, then everything will be fine. All updates will be fine.

sorry but you didnt understanding correct, i guess…
You cant rename the downloading folder of steam
(where updates will be downloaded before they get pasted into his right install folder)
steam_down
If you rename the folder and starting the update (again) steam will create the folder again.

And for other people who did such things…
it makes no sense with steam because if you change the path to,
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Download…
it will change it to that, C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Download\Steam\SteamApps

No only the Game should not be installed in a path including the string “download”
You can leave steam system folders untouched.

1 Like

I get where you are coming from.
If you encounter this bug, you need to rename the “Download” folder into something else.

We are working on a fix for this bug, which should come with the next update.
An idea is, that you rename the folder for playing, but change it back to “Download” for downloading updates, till the patch comes out to fix the issue. Then at least everything will stay in order, even if I have to admit that this is a clumsy solution.
Another way would be, to uninstall the game, and install it into a different folder, Steam then will recognize it, and install every new update into the new folder.

1 Like