Potions & Healing

Not to be negative I like the game a lot. But I do not understand why there is alchemy in the game, it just makes no sense that I can heal my wounds by drinking a potion in a game with a realism concept. I do understand however that it is impossible to make evrything realistic. I’m sure there will be mods in the future to add or remove certain features. In any case I think some of the decision made while developing the game are just “marketing” choiches to make the game more appealing for more people :slight_smile: again is not a complain more a curiosity to know what others thinks about this.

1 Like

Like the idea. Crafting poison and simple remedies is perfectly fine and appropriate to the times. Aspirin (via willow bark processing) was used by (some) ancient Egyptians and Greeks. Plants have many powerful properties, and I don’t mind if WH takes some artistic license. That said, some of the potions are overdone/overpowered: bard, marigold, Lazarus, night vision come to mind

2 Likes

I enjoy doing alchemy and it is not unrealistic since all the ingredients are actual plants that you also find pretty often in nature and all these also have some effect irl
It’s still a game and you need to make compromises between playability/fun and realism
and potions are really needed imo in a rpg so I’m happy there are so many of them

I’m slightly disappointed in this myself. I got very excited to see all the herbs you could pick, only to see it be used for magic potions. For a game that did such a fine job on realism down to the stitching on the clothes, I expected to be making comfrey ointment and eyebright tincture to treat actual medical issues. There is a long list of historically used medicinal herbs, but I feel like they took too many liberties. Cook some comfrey in oil, mix it with beeswax, and you have a ‘Comfrey Ointment’ item that can be applied to wounds and slowly restore health. I grow and use all of the herbs in the game, and the only need for liberties to be taken are for obvious gamisms such as saving or healing extended game ending injuries.

1 Like

The effects are a bit OP. Especially night sight. The healing potion does have merit, but still OP

The only potions I’ved used are the savior schnapps and marigold potion. I’m curious how pronounced the nighthawk effects are. Looked up the recipe, and eyebright and belladonna would have some pretty intense effects on the eyes. (edit: belladonna is still used for eye surgeries to dilate the eyes) The nettle in the marigold decoction works pretty well for me for settling my stomach after a hangover, but I’ve never used marigold for it. The other two… eh…

i’ve resisted using the night vision potion (think i got from a bandit i killed) . i’ve tried to use the NPC silhouettes to stealth kill. tough. along forested paths can be nearly impossible. bigger problem is combat at night at battle points and ambush spots. the mechanics need tweaking. in the dead of night, the NPCs don’t suffer a penalty. i have to use a torch to fight hand to hand. might have to give in to night vision potion

have only used marigold and savior schnapps. bandit killed traders sometimes have a variety of other potions. take them to generate income

2 Likes

I choke out every mercenary and “fainted hearted kinght” to generate income lol

ahahah I havent killed a thing for now I only have a club with me and little to no armor. When I see someone I dont like the look I run away like a chicken!

1 Like