Profanity Filter Option

So, some words form perspecitve of developer here:

We decided to choose a more modern english, because we want that people understand the dialogues, and not only native english speakers, but also non native english speakers. Not every country will get his own translation.
And we want to have some impact with our language on the player, he should feel into the game, and if we use an old uncommon historic language here, the connection would be lost, and the player would not feel this kind of immersion, he would feel more like a kind of guest in the game.

Historic correct would be old czech, old german and hungarian, and you would not find enough good voiceactors to do this job. So the language is a compromise here.

But
 I ask myself, if someone get thown out of the immersive game by strong language, is beeping it out really more immersive? :confused:

3 Likes

@ThomasAagaard Perhaps you could show me in a quote of mine where I said that my reasons have to do with the things you are saying. Take a look at the second half of comment #24 and comment #31. How are your questions addressing those concerns of mine?

@Earl_Thorn Thank you for the info. Quite impressive for a tech demo!

@SirWarriant Thank you for the quote. I had read that earlier. Suffice it to say that I don’t agree with that quote. As I mentioned earlier I don’t think it would take that much effort and there is a precedence of other studios being able to make it a priority and still deliver an uncompromised vision. I consider it more likely that this just isn’t a priority to many developers and so it gets overlooked, hence why I thought it worthwhile to give the idea some traction.
Within this thread at least yes, it would seem that more people agree with you. But what I meant was if my assumptions are accurate and this option could be implemented without compromising any of the other features, what reason is there to prevent it?

@DrFusselpulli Thank you for the developer’s insight. For some it might be less immersive, for some it might not be. Obviously whether the dialogue was merely silent at that moment vs a foghorn blaring would make a big difference :smile:

I agree with your observations, but I wouldn’t request a filter; I would request better dialogue, that isn’t cursing for the sake of cursing.

1 Like

Some good discussion here. One question that hasn’t been addressed is why request a profanity filter if you’re happy with the violence. One possible response would be along these lines, “the violence isn’t real, it’s a virtual depiction of a killing but not a real killing. Whereas the swearing is, well, swearing.” This seems like a distinctive enough difference to me to warrant the option of a profanity filter, but not the filtering violence.

from a simply logistical standpoint, it’s completely nonsensical request. you want them to spent a bunch of additional man hours recreating new dialog or putting in bleeps and black bars like they do on the show cops because you can’t handle some pee pee and poopie language? this is some next level insanity. imagine the supervisor telling his worker why they are spending a month working on bleeping out words in the dialog like this is a game for 5 year olds meanwhile the guys at the next table are programming some more blood, gore, sex and violence into the game. it’s so fucking stupid.

8 Likes

I think we probably have a different view of maturity. I like what the creators of banner saga 3 have to say, “Banner Saga 3 is a mature story for adults, which means forming relationships and making tough decisions; not sex, violence and swearing.” I’m not saying they should get rid of the violence, or that they should make the game appropriate for 5 year olds. I think the problem is more in terms of gratuity. Either way, the game looks great, and I can’t imagine removing the majority of bad language in the dialogue would take that long. The filter could simply remove voice acting and delete profanity from the subtitles. That’s as easy as turning of dialogue and using the word replacement tool in Microsoft office.

I think forming relationships and making tough decisions is part of every good story for children, don’t understand why it should be consider adult.
Sex, violence and swearing may be inappropriate for children, but are part of life, so when you are making game for adults there is no reason to leave it out. If you have problem with, certain not so nice aspect of life, you should stick to children stories.

I see what you’re saying. But, I don’t think there is any reason why a mature game ‘should’ have swearing etc. at least in a gratuitous way. The vast majority of classic stories for adults don’t have recourse to swear unnecessarily, take for example, say, Lord of the Rings, Dickens or Tom Clancy. None contain unneccessary swearing and yet none of them would be considered children’s stories or children’s authors, except for perhaps LOTR, and that’s debatable. Also, given that some adult players come from cultures where swearing is frowned upon, I would have thought that to be good enough reason to provide the option of a profanity filter, especially if it would broaden your player base.

Game is 18+ that should end this stupid topic.

If you can’t stand a few bad word, you should not be playing a game that include warfare, plundering and other acts of violence.

Also your comparison with LoTR and Tom Clancy make zero sense. None of them are trying to create a realistic historical setting.
(If TC had tried that, his books would have included plenty of profanity)

2 Likes

The only problem with the logic of your statement, Stanyonator. It requires a more keen intellectual edge than those who use profanity (the dull weapon of a dim wit) can realize. I am sure that if profanity was the outer limit of my articulation I would be confused by a more literate vocabulary. Sadly, if being so limited in speech, I imagine I would then perceive my dull defense as a serviceable point. The sad reality is that an educated person can recognize better options.

I for one don’t think there’s enough swearing. The Czechs swear all the fucking time.

some Teenagers have a worse mouth than the stereotypical sailor!

I love John Travoltas line at the start of the movie “Be Cool” - he is explaining that in order to keep under an R rating in 'murica that the F bomb can only be used once. - then states ‘Eff that- I’m out’; the movie is a comedy and my 12 year old laughed at this joke. (understanding what was being done).

My twelve year old has been taught that swearing is using a generic word to express oneself at times of hurt were we would most likely wish to represent our thoughts better than with a generic term/word.
She sees swearing as a failure.
its cute cause until about three weeks ago she would always ask permission to swear (with us both on the understanding that by doing so the swear is being used with cognitive aweareness).
The game is generally to express ourselves better.

Ihave no problems with her hearing swear words. But violence I like to cover up.
She loves the movie American Beauty (she used to be terrified of seeing blood, but could see the peace and poetry as given in this movie).
Ihave let her watch my ‘fathers cut’ of fight club.
(we have to cover eyes during a few scenes), but she loves psychological thrillers, and can enjoy the skeleton of the story (and the basis that men serve less fulfilling purpose in a world post industrial revolution).

What qualifies a movie / work of art /book etc for a given classification is very different across the globe.
Wanting to share ‘the number 23’ with her; the parental guide on IMDB suggested many and varied ratings for this title. (I think Malaysia even had a PG cut).

Whilst I might choose to shield my daughter from many things; KCD is not one of them!
even with its R rating, so long as Ihave played further and know what is coming up in the game
 Iam happy to give her free license to walk the wilders.

When this thread started back in 2015- it might have been possible to vote for a profanity filter

Once voice acting is done, and the scripting has set where those voices might be used (eg swearing in a random encounter is always unavaoidable), without a BEEP covering the words
 there isn’t any practical way to censor profanity.

Ihave more issue with my 12 year old experiencing violence than Ido with swearing,
 but this really comes down to our personal households view on the topic and the educative stance Ihave taken, personally, with my child.

TO each their own
 sure

Igave away GTA5 on release month as Iwouldn’t have that title in my house. (same with a few call of dutys).
When Igot the order 1886 on ps4 Icouldnt even drown the guy in the opening scene.
Idunked his head in the water for about fourty minutes before Igot bored and turned the title off.
Ijust don’t want to experience some things.
an R rating can mean many things.
in Aliens video games; extreme violence (both to and from xenomorphs) is alright in my eyes.
Most other R rating games are for all the wrong reasons (either poor story/writing and a wish to seem more ‘adult’)
KCDis a relative history lesson. dirt and all!

1 Like

Im not buying this game without this. Sorry im a parent.

but the violence and bloodshed is ok?
i always find it amusing when someone has an issue with words but not the violence and sexual content

No violence and sex is also not ok, was not aware that that was a problem.

If you don’t really know what KC:D is, you might want to watch some game play videos.
This probably isn’t your cup of tea.
The profanity is in no way gratuitous, but it is there, as it is in real life.
You can mostly avoid the sex, but you’ll probably not enjoy the burnt corpses in the looted villages

1 Like

I here their making a remaster of crash Bandicoot

2 Likes

So basically you didn’t bother to even glance at the rating, let alone do some basic research into the game.

1 Like

Hahaha!!! Brilliant