Question on Parrying

Hello. I tried the search function but couldn’t find an answer to this.
How does one parry a stab? I can parry everything else but have not figured out how to parry a stab.
Thank you.

I don’t think you can parry a stab. I’m pretty sure you have to dodge it.

1 Like

that is so whack :(. the guys in the arena somehow parry my stabs half the time :frowning:

1 Like

I haven’t played the Beta in ages, but I’m pretty sure you can parry all standard attacks *including a stab or thrust?. I think that the timing on the parry for something like a stab is just far more difficult (in terms of the parry window being smaller) :thinking:

There are un-blockable attacks in the Beta though I believe. From recollection, the special combo or chain attacks slot into that category.

Not certain if this is reflective of how the combat mechanic will function in the final release though. Keep in mind it’s really just a more in-depth tech demo to show off rough capabilities.

1 Like

By “Q” key. There isn’t any difference between stab or slash attack, or even between direction of the attack. Just holding the “Q” key long enough before the attack and it should work.

There is a counter attack, that is hard to block. That’s when you hold the key at the exactly in the moment the attacker’s weapon goes forward. Then time slows down for you and you can made an attack that is only blockable by this same technique. NPC can do this too.

Then there is another advanced version of this block. If your timing is even more precise, then you made a block and counter attack in one animation. There is no way how to block it. NPC can do this too, but it is really rare

Then there are combos, a series of attacks that allows you to perform special attack that cannot be blocked. Attacks that leads to the combo obviously could. But they still counts as long as you do not lose your initiative and chain one attack immediately with another. You have description of them in-game in the inventory/player/combat/sword. As above, NPC can do those as well.

Not true. If you are planning a block and the opponent changes the line of attack by feinting or failing then you will not meet the new attack. Even if you are defending a simple attack the location of the guard changes the response time to meet the incoming attack.

The parry-riposte has a window of time which also varies with the guard location and weapon & skill of the combatants. It is however less easily foiled with a feint.

All attacks can be voided by properly timed footwork, and this is in many cases a preferred technique, permitting a cut from behind the opponent’s blow.