Question to sword bearers. How to sit at a bench?

Last time I readed an articel about KCD where they also showed a clip. In this clip you could see a man with a sword sitting at a table, wearing a sword at his hip. This sword clips into the bench.
Now I like to know, how comfortable is it in real life to sit on a bench with a sword at your hip? Are there reasonable methods to sit down in a different way and have your sword still in range? If so, maybe the animation should look different.

It depends on the length of the weapon… but for an arming sword or a long sword with a similar blade length I’d probably carry the sword and it’s belt in one hand and stand it against the bench/table rather than wear it continuously when in domestic situations.

The same with a bow or quiver.

An alternative would be to rotate the weapon’s point forward if the suspension allows it.

Short sword/Messer or a long knife and bucklers are wearable with minimal inconvenience.

4 Likes

Thank you. It makes sense, especially if the bench is close to a wall.

1 Like

In real life, you would grab the scabbard and the strap with your off-hand, move the sword away so that it doesn’t hit anything while you sit and the just let it rest on the bench. On a closed handle chair this may be harder to do, but not impossible. If the place is not enough, you can always detach your sword strap from the belt and just rest the sword somewhere nearby, without being tied to your belt.

Definitely, clipping is very ugly. In the first place, Deliverance SHOULD have scabbards for these weapons. And then, the scabbards should physically (engine dependent) move around when they contact something solid, then just lay above it based on gravity.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

This is achievable with collision cylinders.

1 Like