Random armor fitting to you

So you agree the armor should have to be rebuilt to fit Henry?

1 Like

Well based on what @YuusouAmazing has quoted above, looks like the WH Team plan to implement this type of restriction into the game.

And I agree in principle. Although situations might arise in reality where armour repair and / or structural modification might not actually be required or necessary. But how do you find a good balance?

To implement that into any game would be difficult to say the least, so I think that by enforcing a repair and adjustment mechanic prior to the armour becoming wearable *regardless, is the most simple way to ensure it maintains some sense of realism… You’d be crazy to think that you could just loot some random guys armour and go off into battle. Chances are, doing so would more than likely work against you… restricting your movement if ill-fitted and small, or not offering enough protection if too large and cumbersome.

Thoughts?

Works perfectly. However, we must remember all the pieces of armor in the Dark Ages are made for average sized people so anybody could wear it. But obviously if the armor is better fitted to you, it’d be less cumbersome and easier to move in.

On another note, even if the armor doesn’t fit right, there is so much beneath a cuirass that it’d be almost impossible for it not to fit (unless you’re King Robert from Game of Thrones.) There’s your clothes, than a jupon/gambeson, and on top of that a chainmail haulberk. Lastly would be the plate, and by that time the armor would fit with all the extra padding beneath.

There’s a difference in the thickness of the gambeson worn under plate vs. worn under mail. The former would be much thinner and made of only a few layers (my own gambeson is based on a pattern c.1405, made of four layers of linen and is maybe half an inch thick).

Also, by Kingdom Come’s setting you normally would not wear a full hauberk under plate armor, except for older suits that might still be floating around (but keep in mind; armor was a BIG part of fashion in Europe, and a nobleman or knight wouldn’t be caught DEAD wearing an outdated suit of armor). You don’t have the full Gothic-style plate yet, but by this period mail would be increasingly used to cover only the major gaps.

2 Likes

That seems about right for the game’s era,even though it’s from the 12th Century (1300’s.)

Or this, although it is 23 years after the game’s setting, it could be within the realm of historically accurate, whereas this…

As much as I love sallets and gothic armor, this did not appear till the 16th Century (1500’s)

3 Likes

that 1390 illustration is closest to henry’s time, and looks better imo.

Yea that circa 1390’s depiction looks pretty close to what we’re expecting in KCD.

Very cool :smile:

1 Like

Nice post.
But what could we expect from common fighter?
Bandits and such which we will surely encounter?

I do not think that common bandits would go mugging knights unless they had some advantage.
In that light would we even had chance fighting off bandits?

In the end it might be better if bandits would be also well armored as they would fight more fairly without using dirty tricks and so giving a player better chance to win.

It makes sense not only when it comes to armor, but to clothes generally.

Imagine Henry killing innkeeper and putting on HER bloodied clothes and walking around the village like a macabre drag queen.

I sure as hell hope that (1) @warhorse will make the clothes kind of tight for Henry and that (2) they already have a proper behavioral tree for the NPCs in case they come upon a bloodied drag queen in their village :smile:

Kinda yes and kinda yes… we are working on it…kinda!! :slight_smile:

Glad to hear the drag queen mode will be implemented.

Then the ultimate scene from the House of 1000 Corpses comes to mind. It is the scene in which they cut the captive girl’s faher’s face skin off and use it as a mask. Will that be implemented for the “thief” gameplay?

1 Like

You always need to push it way to far, do you?! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seems off by 100 years

It’s from the 15th century (1400-1500).

The sallet I like is from the 16th Century. There are two available in game currently for that time, but I’m not a fan of the early versions.

And as seen, there are two versions of gothic plate armor. I prefer the later version of gothic plate.

It’s so beautiful. :sob:

2 Likes

Got some bigger pictures I can actually see?

I personally like this one. But I don’t think the gent you posted will fit in it :laughing:

EDIT:

here is a good reproduction

http://blog.royalarmouries.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Easter-Tournament-2013020413_117_Ted.jpg

1 Like

My aching heart… :sob:

And I got the pictures from the Internet.

In reality, I would not hesitate to steal a gothic suit of armor. :joy: Or just the sallet.

I realize you got them from the internet but they are so small.

Anyways the suits I linked correspond to the later half of the 15th century and not the 16th one.

Oh and the suits reproduction is reputed to be quite expensive.

I know. Ergo why I would steal it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As for the century, it’s still out of reach for this game. :sob: Oh well, I guess it’s the pig-faced bascinet for me. At least there’s still plate armor, even if it isn’t gothic.

well, if the game goes for historical accuracy, then it would be a little weird to run into a bandit camp and encounter 4-6 bandits donning full a mixed set of brigandine or plate. also considering their social status and relative lack of training, numbers (when compared to a city garrison) and wealth (as a moderatly wealthy individual wouldn’t normally risk being ran through by a merc. or hung by the neck till dead, for a bit of extra coin on the side) and the ability to spend what little wealth they have, i’d say it’s unlikley for bandits to have much in the way of quality equipmnet. and further more, would be hard pressed to fight a common soldier on even ground and win, let alone a knight, or a retinue of knights, hence ambush tactics involving superior numbers on people with similar or lesser equipment or training. anyway, those are just my (late) thoughs on that matter.