Realistic Health Regeneration

I haven’t seen this question posted anywhere, but I am very curious to see how they handle health regeneration. They have mentioned things that will be important to your characters well being such as food and sleep. We also know that there is alchemy where our character will be able to create ointments and other remedies, but we also know that they are striving to be realistic as possible.

I’m curious to see what people think about how that balance should be struck between realistic health regeneration and fun gameplay. For example, if I am seriously wounded in fight, how long will I need to wait until my health is fully recovered. Should I have to see a doctor and get a good nights sleep to fully recover? Is there a limit to how many ointments I can apply or food I can eat or medicine I can take before I start seeing diminished returns?

Actually it is pretty hard to handle this in a realistic way, because if you got a serious wound back them you would be as good as dead.

Wouldn’t be that much fun if I would apply a bandage and then had to lie around for three game weeks before I can use my arm again. My opinion.
What if I ingest too much medicine? Will there be an opposite effect where I get sick, maybe in another kind of way? Will it worsen my condition? Will I die of an overdose? Will I experience hallucinations?
What if I’m too ill to move and I can’t feed the dog? Will he go nuts and bite my ass?
:smiley:
Sorry, too many questions.

I hope recovery is not too time consuming and annoying.

Even today a broken arm takes about 6 weeks to reform so you can use it and about twice as much to reform so that you can use it without being too much careful…that is as long as it is not broken in a particularly nasty way. As with the landscape which was slightly compressed from the original satellite images - you have to strike a balance between being realistic and entertaining. You probably will not have to go to the toilet either even though that is extremely unrealistic. Still, it would feel rather stupid if you had to go a couple of times a day (you can pretend your character does just that when you actually go to the toilet while playing it :smiley: )

You guys have struck my interest.

Its going to be a battle between gameplay and realism.

Im going to have to think about this one

True realism is of the table right away, and I don’t think anyone would argue for that. But I also think that applying 3 ointments shouldn’t magically make my health go from 25% to 100%.

Maybe injuries could create a health recovery cap, so ointments/medicine and food could recover your health up to a certain point, but to recover fully you must rest or seek the help of a doctor.

8 Likes

if i get into modding ill probably change it my self we will have to see what the devs do first.

I quess the health shouldnt be regenerating - unless you apply some tincture or eat some food and drink something,

Thats the best option for me

Perhaps a measure that allows you to continue combat after being injured but requires more aid later in order to fully recover and engage in fights at full effectiveness later on. That’s pretty much what MMOs do with health and armour, you can only fix the former in a combat zone over the short term but have to manage the latter over the medium term for optimal effectiveness.

The Alchemy is going to be realistic and the ingredients are going to have the same role and effects like in real-life, so I think that these things are going to me implemented to the health and healing.

Why not just skip the healing period if you’re seriously hurt?

Go to bed, take some medicine to set the healing rate, leave bed in a few weeks (a second or two in-game) having missed any quest appointments you were hoping to reach during that period. Learn not to get seriously hurt again.

The game seems to start demonstrating a system pretty much exactly like this, which is great.

3 Likes

That’s a really good idea, but perhaps only for a “hardcore” mode. Having such a system even on easier difficulties might put some players off.

I’ll have to agree with @MeevarTheMighty idea for healing a serious injury. I think that missing quests, appointments, etc. would be a fitting punishment for someone who recklessly injures themselves in battle. The overall goal of the game is realism and being seriously injured should have some form of negative consequence since in those times, as some have previously stated, being seriously injured equaled death in most cases.

1 Like

I really do hope that a “hardcore” mode is implemented in the game although I fear it wont be with Daniel Vavra’s previously voiced distaste with different difficulty levels in games.

Would be awesome to see a new kind of health system here. Forget the health points, scratches shouldn’t be able to kill you, because you’ve just taken a beating. I wanna see a system, where you die, the first time your face has an intimate moment with a lance, no matter how much endurance or vitality you have. In the real world, you get better at defending yourself, you don’t just learn to take more hits.
I really want to see something realistic here.

4 Likes

I think something like the DayZ health system would be nice. It’s relates your health to your blood level. You loose blood and have to refill it by eating and drinking or other methods. But before it you have to stop it and bandage the wound. You take medication to lower the risk of infection and to fight illness.

2 Likes

IMO Your health should only regenerate when you eat food or consume an item designed to “restore” or “heal” or when you sleep (and then only in increments depending on how long you sleep i.e longer sleep = more health regen)
If you are referring to being able to stand still for a few minutes and my health bar regenerate then absolutely not. I hated this mechanic in games such as Skyrim. No Health regen please!

OTOH Health degen from wounds to imitate bleeding effects would be awesome.

agreeed! I want that too

I would like a system where when you get stabbed and if you are vitally wounded you would die if not you could bandage it with a towel or something (and not use stuff that didint exist that time) that would save you small amounts of time before death. I want a realistic game here so if you get stabbed by a sword you should have something that indicates how much you are bleeding and how much time you have left. (if you didint get help in time) you should die. (and I dont want the indicator too be on screen I want the screen too become reder after you start too bleed out.) Thats my opinion

1 Like

Separation hand - cca 2 minutes