Reduce eating to human level?

Is there some way to reduce how many times Henry need to eat to level of a human? He spends more time eating during a day then a cow does. It made me quit the game when it came out and it still a major issue when I tried to resume today. Playing for just IRL 30 min, he have eaten 4 times already. Is there a way to reduce it or remove it, it ads nothing to gameplay anyway.

Times ticks way quicker in game than it does in real life. He does seem to get full too quick actually. In one day he can be sated by drinking beer and wine. Anything can be tweaked though I suppose, there are mods that aim to better simulate the food system. They’re likely to make it more demanding however, not less.

Really??? I’ve always thought that he has to eat too rarely in comparison to a real guy. I can spend about 2 in-game days before he starts to complain that he could have a bite to eat.

2 Likes

I was thinking about how you could have run into this problem. Do you watch the nourishment level? It’s displayed on the inventory screen, below Henry in the middle column, the third value from top. Generally, Henry will start complaining when below 50. If you feed him up enough to reach 100, then he can run pretty long.

You should also observe how nourishing the foods are. When I select an item in my inventory list I can press ‘Q’ (I’m on a PC) to see the item properties. If you’re on a console then a key to use is specified below the list. Unlike in other games where food items have symbolic meaning of ‘food’ it is not enough to eat one carrot or one bread to satisfy Henry’s hunger (pretty much like in real life).

So, if an item details say it’s nourishing value is 3 it means your nourishment will increase by 3 upon consumption. If it’s a carrot and you’re at 55 you can, of course, eat 15 carrots, but would you do this in real life? I’d go to a tavern and buy a decent meal like a bowl of lentil soup, a good loaf of bread, some roasted meats and a good mug of beer. Such a fare keeps my Henry running for about a day. If I go to wilderness and I’m not sure I’ll get to a tavern anytime soon, I buy dried fruit and dried meats from merchants. I always have about 10 of them in my pouch. You can store them forever and they are nourishing enough to keep Henry’s spirit up.

4 Likes

Iamlvl 19 in my currnet game.

I almost never any food or sleep.
Use potions to keep the energy up and drink wine to get the nourishment (and level drinking)

does not eat, does not sleep, only drinks wine 
 This Henry should not expect long and full life

4 Likes

Thank you for taking time to write such a long reply.

Since I just restared the game it went like this. Wake up, first thing he says is “I am hungry” then he stick his head in the pot and the nutri meater is full. I explore the village a bit and do the sword training. He complains, back to the pot. finishing the walk around the village and do the gathering quest. Then complain and to the pot. Escape and cutscene. Then he must eat, go to sleep, wake up and eat, second cut scene with the enemy army at and some talking. Then head in the pot. exploring the castle and escaping after two more meals. Cut scenes and part with burial of parents, he do not need to eat at all for some reason. Then game starts and I run around looking for stews half the time. If you play a linnear follow the questmarker type game, I expect it would be less frequent problem, but I want to explore and take my time.

Since he hardly need to sleep, never drink wateror have any other needs, is not effected by numerous body injuries, makes the overemphasized eating even stranger. but it mostly get in my way from playing the game, it give me a the sims chores vibe and not a rpg vibe. Using potions as somebody else suggested, It make not much sense there fantasy style potions in a world with no magic, witch and trying to present the values of dark age europe? I guess downloading a cheat mod is the remaining option.

Pots are not meant to feed you up to 100%. They provide something around 15-25%. So if you’re at 45% they won’t give you much. If you selected the hardcore mode they will hardly nourish you at all.

I’m still on my first play-through on normal, but the excessive nourishment really stuck out to me. I was hoping to avoid needing to use mods so hopefully hardcore mode corrects this for the second run through.

You may be confused about the nutrimeter/sleepmeter. It happened to me when I started. Are you referring to those grey circles that get clock-wise colored in gold as time passes? When those appear, even if they are only grey, it means that you are ALREADY tired or hungry. If you eat/rest and they disappear it doesn’t mean that you are fully rested/nourished. They just act as a low-gas warning light.
What you should be considering is the numerical value in the char stats screen. It should be easy enough to keep it between 70-100 in normal circumstances. Low-level warnings only appear when below 50.
I dont find any difficulty in keeping my Henry nourished and rested. Usually pot+few hours of night rest every day are enough.

When you start the game you already are hungry, in the low 30-40 iirc, so you may want to eat a several bites to fill your Henry to 90-ish so you can forget about eating for some time.

1 Like

ilya1502, you are right. I assumed eating a full dinner would be enough. You need to eat about four different full meals, you cant eat the same type of food several times, it have to be different.

However now the eating mechanic make even less sense then I though before. even more tedious and just as time consuming.

Considering a low difficulty level, but I like everything about the game except this particular thing.
There is a mod called “cheat” at nexus. it enable to fill up hunger with a console command. Without forcing to use any other advantages. This is the best workaround so far.

I cannot possibly comprehend how it can be.

Not even sure what to say to this. Henry, a guy who rides his horse all day and sometimes gets 10+ hours of hard exercise, should be burning calories like crazy. I don’t know about you, but when I do weight training and cardio to the tune of 3 hours a day, I need a good 4-5 decent meals. Meanwhile, on a standard game, Henry only needs to eat from a magic bean pot twice a day to keep full.

If you want, there are a couple perks you can take which reduce his need for food by a huge amount. “Ascetic”, gained at level 2 if you choose it, reduces hunger gain by 30%. The “Contemplative” perk stops your hunger gain while not moving. So, if you’re sleeping or reading a book, you don’t get hungry. The combination of these two perks should allow someone to eat some beans a single time a day and get by, at least on standard difficulty.

1 Like

This. I don’t think it’s intended as a must-have perk. I think it’s an option for those players who don’t want to deal with the more mundane levels of realism (eating/sleeping) and would rather spend more time focusing on the action/adventure portions of the game. The Insomniac perk is similar. It allows players to customize their experience to the level of immersion they feel is right for them.

Personally, I have a few skill trees at Lvl 20 with perk points leftover that I never intend to use. Others will want to take every advantage available. Rather than having a difficulty slider bar (easy, normal, veteran, legendary) they leave the perk choices you select or omit to shape your experience. It’s different and I like it. You can make things difficult and realistic by denying yourself various perks, but the choice is yours alone.

1 Like