Sally Forth, Men of Skalitz!

Okay, being serious now, has anyone managed to find the Skalitz sally port? I’ve searched for hours on end around the base of the castle, the surrounding hillside. Not a peep of their sally port. Unless it’s hidden in those bloody mazes of mine-shafts, which I got lost in more than I’d like to admit, where is the Skalitz sally port?

For anyone who doesn’t know what a sally port is, which, knowing this forum, everyone probably knows what a sally port is: A sally port is a secret gate that leads to the inside of the castle it is built for. These gates are used to bring in food or send out men to sabotage the enemy siege camp. There’s one (unprotected, mind you) hidden in the bush at the base of Pirkstien Castle in Rattay, and I’m aware not all castles have sally ports, but with how Skalitz is positioned, a sally port makes sense.

I’d like to assume Sir Radzig had a sally port somewhere at Saklitz, otherwise I’d like to know how the hell he escaped a siege without Sigismund noticing. I know the rain helped a hell of a lot with their escape, but I’m in doubt they just waltz out the front gate without anyone seeing them.

1 Like

I’m thinking they used the same route henry did.
With such a terrible storm would YOU like to be out and about during a siege keeping watch in such bad conditions?
The thunder and no torches and blinding rain would be good cover.

It’s interesting question. What does history say about that?

I’m currently wandering around Skalitz. I can check surroundings again. So far I have no idea.

Well, legends say that Radzig slipped out at night in the middle of a storm. It doesn’t say much else.

1 Like