Save Game Bug Workaround

I don’t know if this will work for others but I’ve found a workaround for the bug where loading a save game crashes the client to desktop. The workaround appears to have resolved the issue for me as I’ve loaded and saved about half a dozen games since implementing it without a single crash.

I went into my save games folder (for me that was C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kingdom Come Deliverance\user_kingdomcome\whgame) and created a subfolder called OldSaves. I then took all the files named default_saveXXXX.meta and default_saveXXXX.whs (so, default_save0000… through default_save0012… or whatever) EXCEPT the most recent one and moved them into the OldSaves folder. So the contents of the whgame folder are just the .meta and .whs files for default_newgame, whatever default_savepoint I’ve accumulated, and my very latest default_save.

That’s it. After that, the game loaded perfectly. After every save, I move the previous one into the OldSaves folder and the next time I launch the game it launches without crashing.

I’ll leave it up to the devs to do more thorough testing, root cause analysis, etc. Heck, they may have already fixed it on their own in the release version. But for those of us playing with the beta client that will never see another update, hopefully the above method works for you.

Best of luck.

3 Likes

Good find. I also found out that my saves never crash/corrupt/whatever if i dont try to load a game while in combat. I figured that when i try to load in combat, my client crashes. So whenever i screwed up something, i just let the opponents kill me and would patiently wait for the ‘‘death screen’’ to appear, before attempting to load.

This method will only take you so far never forget Certain quest lines will also kill your save state (regardless).

I have a sub folder I made with labeled saves, one for combat and one for questing. I then alternate the saves based on How im looking to save. Always make backups.