Search engine optimization

A similar thread was made sometime ago but why have you not sorted out your SEO yet? You’re just losing money from potential funders who will never find you. Seems pretty silly to me.

We are working on it, believe me. It is not a simple issue unfortunately.

How do you suggest they do it? People who are paying any attention at all in the gaming world ought to know about this game already because numerous gaming sites have discussed it and it received a lot of press during the Kickstarter phase. If you know the title, you can find this website with minimal effort. Who are the people the SEO stuff is meant to capture, after that?

@Flashfire I disagree. There still are lots and lots of people that haven’t heard about the game (and there will be). By the way, have you noticed that there is a steady growth of new backers every day (I take a peak here and there as I read this forum)? It’s not like everyone who wanted to do so pledged already and the rest, whose only option to pledge was PayPal, did so after the campaign ended on the online store. People are finding out about this great game every day and what other better place there is than the official site (where they can pledge as well and provide additional funding)?

The thing is that the main official page (kingdomcomerpg.com) should be one of the first search results when you search Google, but right now it isn’t, in fact I haven’t found on any of the first few pages. I imagine it is very hard to achieve that though.

If you know the name of the title, there are numerous results that show up when you search it. Even partial searches bring up the Kickstarter project. It’s not hard to find this site from there, for the time being.

Sure, it would be nice if THIS site was the first thing that showed up, but the second result I get when I search the title is the Wikipedia page and that also includes a link here.

It’s not like this site is difficult to find. It just takes an extra click or two right now. If it was as easy as people are making it out to be, it’d already be done.

I agree, if you are determined to find it, you will. However, it is somewhat inconvenient and it will keep people from reaching this site. The OP’s point about it costing Warhorse money is very probably true. Execution of that is a whole other thing though.

If anyone looking for KCD, he can’t miss it. If someone doesn’t know about KCD, SEO will not help. This stuff is getting backers and interest from word-of-mouth and media.

1 Like

Well, that’s what my question is: how does the SEO help someone who doesn’t even know to look for it?

My personal opinion is if someone knows of the full title but somehow misses this site, that person is probably lazy and not looking hard enough. Even the last time this came up, it was proven that it only takes another moment or two to land here after finding a couple easily-reached sites that are already out there.

It’s unfortunate that this site is not #1 on a search for its name yet, but I don’t see how SEO is a fix for that if you don’t know the name of the title in the first place.

I think you should:

2 Likes

I must agree with allow robots index the forum, that’s pretty much essencial and i’m a bit surprised it’s set to noindex.

Yes, that is a valid point. It doesn’t. However, later (and over time), as the alpha / beta is released and the release date draws closer, KCD will get more attention and more and more people will start looking it up in the search engines, you definitely want to get those people right here, because this is the official page and right here they can pledge and help fund the game, become a part of this community, etc.

Even now, people find out about the game through gaming sites / YouTube / word of mouth. Not to mention, Warhorse will surely be advertising the game and paying for some marketing services. So SEO won’t really help spread the word, but get those, who heard about the game, here.

Yeah, if you don’t find this site, you are probably not looking hard enough, heck maybe you are even lazy. However, the aim should be to make the site (and the game - not in the sense of turning it into a dumbed-down version, mind you) accessible to the widest audience possible, not to “restrict” people, who just don’t look hard enough. That is the entire point of marketing, presenting your product in a most accesible way, instead of telling people “You are lazy and you don’t look hard enough, bad for you, bye.” … because it is not really bad for them, but bad for the developers, because they lose potential backers / customers. Not everyone is an enthusiast as we are here.

Rather than looking at this issue in the light of “Well, we don’t care, they are lazy and don’t even want to dedicate the time and effort to find this site.”, the issue is how to make this page more accesible to people who might be interested.

We do know they’re working on it, at least. The “lazy or not looking hard enough” bit isn’t so much to say “Tough luck, then,” though. Maybe there are some people who aren’t very knowledgeable when it comes to putting one thing or another together to figure out “Oh, okay. That’s where the site is.” Obviously the goal is for a “Kingdom Come Deliverance” search to have the kingdomcomerpg.com site come up first.

Still, it’s capable of being found with very little extra effort. That’s all I’m saying. SEO will make it easier for the people who need it, sure. In the meantime with all the press it’s received, anyone paying even a little attention ought to end up here if they really want to find it.

Every time I see this pop up, the first things that runs through my mind is the Evony goblins are looking to extend their reach…

[Play NOW my lord!][1]
[1]: http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2009/07/14/evolution-of-evony-video-game-ads/

As stated, those actively interested will find it with absolutely zero hassle.

Hoping someone will stumble upon it accidentally because the SEO is so fine-tuned it reaches down the line and slaps anyone who happens to have an internet connection with a bloody glove… hilarious.

Hey, definitely thanks for all the tips, I forward them to our admin!