Seriously, someone help?

I’ve had the game for about 2 weeks now, but I’ve still not actually managed to get the damn thing to start.

Every time I start the game, the into video starts to play, but it’s never gotten all the way through without crashing. I’ve not even seen the main menu yet. It’s just a generic error code, and the suggested actions are to make sure the game and system software are up to date.

On Ps4, game says it’s fully updated, I’ve deleted it and reinstalled it 4 or 5 times now (and at 23gb for the update, my Internet speed is now seriously suffering), I’ve rebuilt the database hell I’ve even reset the playstation to factory settings and started from scratch, all to no avail.

I have no other issues with the playstation, and all of my other games continue to work perfectly whether on disc or downloaded. I can play dvds and blurays just fine.

I’ve contacted Sony support and they’re confused. As far as they can tell, there’s nothing wrong with my playstation, and so no reason the game will not work. The disc works fine in one of my friend’s playstation, so the issue doesn’t seem to be with the disc either.

This is my second forum topic now, and will be submitting my THIRD support ticket, as I’m yet to have ANY response from Warhorse. I’ve been hyped for this game for a long time, and this whole situation is getting ridiculous now. I just want to play the game I’ve paid my hard earned money for!

1 Like

I’ve seen people saying their game size is 50gb, but mine isn’t, could that be the problem? Cos the game says it’s full updated.

@DrFusselpulli Is going to help you, if it’s in his powers. :wink::wine_glass:

An console has far less variance system to system (I installed a 7200rpm drive as an example, and SSD drives in previous playstations, but that is about the extent of change, other than video and sound formats to be used)…

Just because the disc works in a friends system (did you install from it there, or only fire up the game to see if the disc is ‘recognised’?)… doesnt meanbit will work the same in all playstation optic drives.
Lasers wear out- could lead to reduced read capability and therefor an issue…

But I would go with the drive being heavily fragmented or not large enough. (maybe big enough to install to but the drive cache partitions or something else isnt running as expected.

I understand presently no other games are revealing this issue, so it feels isolated. But really -not many other games are large open worlds- streaming textures etc.

My gut reckons a highly fragmented drive.
I would wait until next patch is approved for release on playstation, and download a fresh ‘whole game’ then… though if I have read correctly- you have physical disc and need to download the updates seperate…

I would consider a few options; mostly involving a new high speed drive (important to choose one with identical platter densities/size to the official hitachi units as Sony have optimised their system to use outer area of drive platters (best continuous read speed/lower wait latencies as disk is spinning at full stroke), when users replace with wrong drives they can create massively slower loadig issues and major issues for games like this one that are highly dependant on streaming textures etc…

I would like to see a newly initiated disc (careful; fully wiped), or, recommend uninstalling some large games that where installed one after another in the early days of ownership of your ps4… those games will be installed unfragmented and with their removal, would free up a large continuous block of drive space (ideal for this game).

With the exception of failing hardware (eg optical drive laser), most playstation issues are common for all. This game with a few large patches has probably been fragmenting files like mad… not an issue for a solid state drive with instantaneous random access to anywhere on the storage, but a major issue for hard disks that use spinning platters and read in linear fashion like a record player spins Vinyl.

I will monitor for replies… let me know what you try/age of machine/previous drive usage etc

Fragmentation is most likely your bugbear if you have ever filled your ps4 or are running low on space.

I would highly recommend a drive cleanup :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can PlayStations have external hard drives? That might fix your problem if that is possible with a PS4

is your disc copy faulty

yes ps4 can av external hard drive

iv got 1tb on ps4 pro an on my xbox one x

So just to clarify, I have already rebuilt the database (defragmenting the hard drive) and Sony have already confirmed that’s not the issue.

Also the latest update has made no difference at all

Oh and my console is getting on a wee bit. It’s a destiny release one, so maybe 2015? Like I said, no other issues with any other games or apps though, and I’ve reinstalled and played 4 different game (with dlc and updates) since this whole thing started

And as a final piece of the puzzle, the same problem occurs when starting the game without the patches downloaded (update paused and cancelled immediately) making a hard drive error or a problem with the download less likely

I don’t think so, as the disc works in a friend’s console. The game will install and open, just crashes before I make it to the menu

This might seem silly …

Dont discount Sony saying something (that the person you were speaking with really has no idea about)… as meaning the problem is with the game.
The problem is with your system. This game just reveals it.
Rebuilding the cache ? Never knew that was a defragment. Highly dubious about this.
Lets get back to understanding that your drive might be fragmented… but hey lets try other stuff so we can feel like progress is being made…:wink:

Anyhow, my silly suggestion is going to be to de-dust the playstation.
PS3s had a method of holding two buttons down (power and eject) when giving the system power… it would reverse all fan directions and blow at full speed for ten seconds (or whatever).
It would eject all dust from the case.
Lower system temps.

Which might be an issue we are presently experiencing.

Otherwise we go with a ‘worn laser’ =wrong data being created when game is installing. (Possible based on age of unit),… or back to the fragmented drive thing.

It could be two combined; eg fragmented drive runs hotter (way more seeking) combined with slightly older PS4 (runs warmer) combined with any dust = overheat and fail.

The menu in KCD does run my high end rig fairly flat out so dont minimise it ‘being just a menu’… that is a game wirld being rendered behind it!

So lets listen to your playstation.
Is it louder than your friends? Dust that thing out using whichever sony approved method is presently doing the rounds. Raise it up off the carpet. Put a phone book under it (allows vents to not rest into carpet or underlying surface)…

If the game installs and runs from your disc in another playstation, then the issue we have here is specific to your Playstation.

Believing other games run well in your playstation doesnt mean anything. If they are large open world streaming titles that utilise 100% of your system power maybe…

And yes I reread your initial (and subsequent) posts- I understand you cannot get to the menu and that these issues are with the game upon starting.

Back-up anything you don’t want to lose onto the PlayStation cloud. Remove HDD, install drive wizard onto your PC, plug HDD into PC, using the wizard you downloaded completely format the HDD to factory settings. Using wizard again, run a diagnostic on the HDD. If it checks out ok, put it back in your ps4 and get the latest firmware from PlayStation.com onto a USB thumb drive, insert thumb drive into USB port #2 on the PS4. Initialize the HDD, redownload everything you backed up from the cloud AFTER you install KCD and all of it’s current patches. Good luck friend.

Would I be correct in saying g that installing g the game on external HDD should also worm out any issues should it be the hard drive?

It’s worth a try, the above procedure is what I used to fix a problem I had with save files corrupting on my stock HDD before I upgraded to a SSD.

I personally would never game via an external drive (unless I was on PC and the drive was connected using a special port for that purpose (called ‘esata’).

The ‘e’ in esata stands for ’ external’, and makes it the same speed as all the other sata buses used for moving drive data towarda the cpu and memory.

In a PC enthusiasts are moving beyond sata for faster drive access - a juge part of why this games proves flawless for me; I use a next gen interface; M2; which carries my primary drive data right into the cpu/memory buses quite unrestrained from bandwidth limitations of even the SATA bus…

Now- USB external drives have a few benefits and a few woes

Great for storage (eg media), and backups… great for simple games not requiring complex game world loading ‘on the fly’.
Can be cheap, very easy to add to a system.
Biggest weakness are their cost. They are generally the cheapest drives, made with portability (not speed/performace as their focus).

Even if they use a USB3 controller/interface chip- the drives themselves may never actually push data that quick.
Most small portable drives will have the slowest platter rotation speeds and have horrible seek times (the time it takes to move the mechanical drive head to where the data is…)
Some, due to platter density, might claim nice read speeds- but only for a nice long continuous file.

USB interface is going to be a hiccup for gaming, for some games even if it were possible KCD would HATE it.

The benefit here would be installing (and updating) on a freshly formatted drive might reveal how the other drive being fragmented caused issues.

The steps above that rebuilds a playstatio drive from scratch (via a PC that also checks for drive errors), is a very full on way to format a drive (not needed unless you want to do the error check).
The clean drive, free from fragmentation, is what we are after. This will help massively, and is no doubt the majoritys’ present woe with consoles version of the game.
(PC users complaining of similar issues as well)

We dont have to remove the playstation drive to do this. Drive errors generally happen from incorrect power on/off (eg hard power off at the wall rather than using playstations power buttons), and drives being moved whilst in use (not likely moving your playstation around when it is on?), or a combination of those first two: hard power off (drive doesnt have a chance to park the read heads), and then moving playstation (read heads touch drive platter; data is destroyed).
Sure drives die over time/can have manufacturing errors/etc… lion share of reasons for why drives die are not likley to be issues for typical playstation users…

I would skip the error checking drive step via the PC.
If you can do the rest of the steps though (backup), nuke drive, clean setup again, reinstall and restore…
That should do it.

Otherwise; my initial suggestions of delete a few old games installed when you first got the system… (they will be using a nice neat chucnk of drive space at the start of the disc), then with 70-80gbs of ‘clean’ continuous drivespace go ahead and install a clean KCD; and then even applying the patches; the data will all be together… and should allow much faster drive access.

Tl:DR external drives are generally slow, so ‘No’, KCD shouldnt be installed there.
Maybe a large 7200rpm drive that uses external power. . But otherwise No. Just No.

Aaaaaaaaaalllllllrighty then. Update.

I replaced the hard drive with a brand new out of the box one (sadly not a ssd, they’re a bit pricey for me right now), cleaned the playstation of dust with compressed air as per universal instruction online, and cleaned the lens on the disc reader, despite no other issues with any games. Installed the game and updates, and would you look at that, its still crashing.

So.

Took the disc back the store I bought it from (luckily they gave me a full refund despite me buying the game 4 weeks ago) and got playstation store credit to download it. This takes a good while, cos ya’know, huge game, huge update. So I tried to play it today, and it’s still crashing before I get to the main menu.

Other than this game, the playstation is running better than it has in years, and no other games have any issues out of the norm at all.

So geniuses, why does this game hate me?

Oh and since sending my player files as requested to warhorse support almost TWO WEEKS ago, I’ve still not had any response as to why this game isn’t working.