Shield and longsword

Is it possible to Start a fight with a shield like let’s say there is 4 ennemies then drop the shield during the fight and use your longsword twohanded when there is less ennemies ?

You go into inventory and un-equip the shield…

As far as I know you’re not able to edit your equipped items during combat, just like you’re not able to heal.

So as far as I know there wouldn’t be a way to drop/in-equip your shield mid-combat, unfortunately. Good idea though. :frowning:

1 Like

I re-read the OP and now understand what I missed =)

yes it would be nice if it can come in an update

I’m pretty sure weapons is the only thing you’re allowed to equip/unequip in combat so I’m sure it’s possible. Armor and food can’t be used/changed though.

2 Likes

You are actually right, I always so everything greyed when i was in combat but I was mistaken you can actually drop weapons X) so you can drop you shield and even you sword if you want and run for your life ^^’

Edit: would be nice if it was on a hotkey thought, instead of going in the inventory

1 Like

Yes you can change you equipped weapons. Went from sword and shield, to shield and mace to sword. Depending on numbery of enemies and armour type.

1 Like

That’s really good to know!

My question is actually along the lines of this one. Can you toggle shields on and off? Because when you unequip it, it “leaves” your body into your bag. Like in a big battle I want to use my two handed sword and have the shield on my back, I figure it should give me some protection against arrows and blows from behind, since this game is all “realistic” and stuff (this is not backed by anything I actually saw in game, just thought it this is not a thing in kcd it should be).

Holding down the “sheath/unsheath” button (default [1] on keyboard) for a moment should equip/unequip whatever is in your off hand, be it torch or shield.

Tbf I haven’t tried to do this in combat but I do it all the time to e.g. put my torch away when people approach. Try it out.

Edit: Ok, just tested and it’s weird.
If you have both a shield and torch in inventory, holding down [1] with shield equipped will switch it for the torch, and then holding it again will put the torch away, leaving you with just the sword. It will not bring your shield back up if used again, however, it’ll just toggle the torch. If you have no torch holding [1] doesn’t do anything.

Yeah, it was a great “mechanic” of Mount&Blade, would love if they patch this in.