Simple change, Headbob

When walking and running around create camera shake depending on what your character is equipped with. movement reacts to what you wear. for example battlefield 3 and 4 or skyrim have camera shake when walking or running. Nobody floats when they run it looks silly. was watching the trailer and the first person movement looks like your sliding along the ground, that’s so oblivion days. believe me tiny details make a gamers hearts flutter with joy. thanks team :slight_smile: IF YOUR GOING FOR REALISM MAKE THIS HAPPEN, if not it will be as bad as skyrim not have footprints when you walk through snow, and half the world has snow!!! LOVE YOU GUYS THIS GAMES LOOKS AWSOME. bring on the headbob

4 Likes

It’s called head bob. :wink:

Mate you legend, Headbob

headbob is crap. something taken from movies and put into a game, which makes no sense, but supposedly, it makes things feel “cinematic”

our vision is processed through the brain and “bobbing” is compensated for like a gyroscope in a tank, so we don’t get vision that’s all distorted and shaky, but smooth and fluid. smooth vision is realistic, not the idiocy from battlefield or skyrim.

also, it’s a main cause of nausea in games, along with narrow fov.

11 Likes

It truly is surprising that this needed to be pointed out, but there it is. We have progressed so far down the trail of realism we’ve managed to convince ourselves that our personal reality is no longer real enough and could do with some “improvements” like the laughably dramatic headbobbing… so real!

4 Likes

It’s not cognitively compensated, you can notice it when ever you want to. It’s just not as pronounced as in some games… like holy shit what game was it? Quake or UT or something. It felt like you were drunk and tumbling from wall to wall. Guess it also felt weired because you walked much faster than your head bopped, well you know those fidgety arena shooters…
I wonder how realistic you’d find it if the movement would suddenly stop and you would skate around like in TES games. :wink:
I think some head bopping is okay and it gives me a more bodily feel. Skating makes me feel like a ghost or like I have a no clipping cheat activated or something. But this is really no point that makes a game much better or worse to me.

2 Likes

The arguments for head bobbing are, in a way, very similar to the arguments in favor of third person. Although they are not what we see in real life, they give a false sense of feeling that many people like. So would you rather have a false sense of feeling or a realistic point of view? I think I’ll take the realistic point of view. Of course, no game will ever be completely realistic.

I hear that for VR the movement is great, but never try it myself. I call this optional.

I usually keep this on… except in Minecraft… I always turn it off in Minecraft.

I don’t like to have head bobing because my eyes are not a camera attached to my head xD please make it optional… I’m ok with some shake after a blow but not while walking

omg let’s also add eye-blinking. Every so often, the screen should flash black for a microsecond. Plz add it if you want this game to be more realistic.

2 Likes

How about every so often a midge will land in one of your eyes and you’ll lose half your screen… because… so real!

3 Likes

Since when does everything shake when you walk? Id see a docter because thats not normal.

2 Likes

Another thing to put as a switchable option - some people like it, others do not.

Personally, I detest head-bobbing, it is just stupid. There are no tricks any game can use to make me think I’m doing anything else than using mouse and keyboard to control an avatar in a computer program. When we get direct neural interfaces and fully immersive VR, then I’ll accept that my head bobs…

2 Likes

Head bob is essential for a good realism!!

If this is your reality, as mentioned before, seek medical attention ASAP.

Head-bobbing isn’t present in the real world - how does it represent realism in a game?

4 Likes

head bob is not present in the rality¿?? please don’t lie! agree, we do not realize is usual in our lives, and doesn’t bother us because we are used to, but we really noticed the difference in walking and cycling

Walking? Disagree. You should not even be moderately conscious of any such focus shifts whilst walking - short of some form of neural disorder.

When cycling? Only if you’re negotiating some ruts at speed… otherwise no. Thankfully, I doubt we’ll have any access to bicycles in this game.

2 Likes

when you walk in the street you noticed the head bob, not bother us because we are used, but at the reallity you have head bob, is a reallistic thing, i don’t like a game where you slide, it’s horrible!

Do you have one leg significantly lower than the other, or some disability, that prevents you to walk smoothly?
I experience slight headbob only when I am strutting, jump walking, traversing really rough terrain or walking intentionally in non even fashion. Otherwise my center of gravity and basically all upper torso maintains constant height and trajectory of my head (and in relation eyes) is basically straight line in constant height above surface.

2 Likes