[SOLVED] Performance - 40 FPS, LOW Settings, GTX 1080 Ti

Turn off
Take it out
Reseat it.
Check result with gpuz

2 Likes

Sure, like I said, I doubt that’s the issue but I will try it anyway. Thanks.

1 Like

Well, I took it out and reseated it, and now my problem seems to have disappeared. 60 fps, v.high settings. Thanks!

2 Likes

Good to hear. Have fun

Strange. I thought there should be beeps coming out at the post check when booting and possibly blue screens too if the gpu isn’t properly seated. Instead going to x1 mode and working otherwise properly is weird. Glad you got it working.

I would have thought the same liuhu77, but hey, it worked. The only other thing I did was clean out the dust filters on the PSU, but I very much doubt there’s any causal relationship there.

It was ‘fully working’ but reverted to a slower timing on transfers to maintain reliability.
Reseating it fully allows the slot and card to try the handshake at the highest speed again, though if it has the same failure (possibly a ‘power saving’ feature which is bugged in driver, a voltage sag due to dust/grease, possibly a vibration loosened connection) it may negotiate back down to x4 or x1 as it was in the beginning here. (PCIe x16 3.0 @ x1 3.0)

I’m not sure what the fault is, or why reseating the card fixes it, but I have seen dozens of reports of this sagging of the bus transfer rate, all fixed by physically reseating the card. This also applied to earlier generation cards, and I know of one ‘dying card’ 980TI with no fan spin up and iffy performance being fully ‘fixed’ by physically moving the card. (In this case it was to a different slot, but the ‘original slot’ functions perfectly with another card - it wasn’t my system to try putting the 980 back into the original slot to confirm a reseat would have been sufficient, but it does appear that the attempt to reseat a card fixes some types of problem where that seems improbable as the solution, and the attempt is probably worth the effort in most cases).

Can confirm reseating my GPU worked wonders and upped my FPS from around 20FPS (with a GTX 1060) in Skalitz to around 40-45FPS on High Settings. Thank you very much @Urquhart and @Kill3rCat!

2 Likes

Daym I never realised that could be a problem! All my settings are LOW and still game stutters a lot in towns. But then again my PC isn’t the greatest (i5-2500K@4GHz, 16GB, Geforce 970 4GB). I’ll check what GPU-Z says first thing I sit on front of my gaming rig next time.

Welp to my disappointment PCI-E was working correctly at 2.0 16x. Has someone smooth framerate when riding in towns using similar setup as mine at low settings? Because despite trying all kinds of CFG tweaks and couple of performance mods I have this annoying stutter and stuff suddenly pop in to existence no matter where I adjust those distance sliders. Game is also installed on SSD drive (performing about 500MB/s)