Something like the Viking series

HI
I would really like it if a mod comes on the series vining seems that you’re a viking and you people must have halls to go rob with you and your home have a plot where you can have a family and that you can die and when you die you proceed the game with your kids and you can keep animals.

I actually plan to do a Viking mod. Changing most of the armor and stuff to more viking like. And the boats. But I have never made a mod before so don’t expect wonders. If i get skilled enough I may add so you can raid. But then again I have never made a mod before so it may turn to shit

then do not in any way watch the TVseries “Vikings” since that is very very fare from historical…

3 Likes

this sounds like a grand idea though I would prefer a more historically accurate portrayal of them.

I have seen season one and half of season two. It isn’t that far from the historical truth. They did go by boat to Great Britain. They killed merciless, even children and women. They plundered churches and monasteries. I’m not sure about the religious part though. And if I’m wrong, please help me fill my gaps with knowledge. I also want it to be historical correct.

Thomas Aagard is right: the Vikings is definitely very far from being historically accurate. Its depiction of Scandinavian culture and society (and that of early medieval England too, for that matter) is that of the generic “Germanic” barbarian stereotypes from old Hollywood movies polished up with a glossy modern sheen of grime, violence and sex. If you want an actually good introductory book on the subject, Robert Ferguson’s The Vikings is an informative and fairly comprehensive overview. Early medieval England and Scandinavia were fascinating places and deserved better representation that what ultimately aired on TV.

2 Likes

It not the events Iam talking about. that is not really relevant.

If you want to make a mod you need to change the buildings, clothing, weapons, shields, armour and so on… and what they use in vikings are more like fantasy. But they do use rounds shields with a center grib I will give them that.

I will suggest: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vikings-Else-Roesdahl/dp/0140252827

It covers the width of the topic.
It is the basic book about the viking age used at “medieval archaeology” at Aarhus university here in Denmark.

Then you will need to start getting specialized books about their material culture.

I take ‘historical’ dramas for what they are fiction to be enjoyed, pluse to perve over the men with long hair! :wink:

Saying that I know one or two members withing my group, who are multi period, who can not bring themselves to watch anything like that especialy if it’s one of teh periods they re-enact as it gets them so rilled up.

If I ever managed to get a new ‘decent’ PC I’d love to see a mod like this too

Man, I’m getting myself into something here. Just don’t expect wonders. But if I am to do something I do it properly. So I guess I do my research beforehand ;). One quick question. Did they have long hair?
EDIT: Is this good source material? http://nordrus.ru/img/news/The_vikings.pdf Not the book you meant I think, but this seems to sum it up really good

I personaly could not say 100% for sure, as I don’t know enough about that period.

Historicly people seemed to have favoured shorter hair styles, more so than longer for hygene/practical reasons e.g to prevent catching lice etc. but one would assume that also to and extent personal choice and changing fashions must have played a part too.

I do have a book with an illustration from Topographia Hibernica of a man with long hair, written by Gerald of Wales in 1188 and it has the stament about the Irish, that they allow ‘their hair and beards to grow enourmously in an uncouth manner’. So clearly some people did have long hair.

My boyfreinds has done Viking re-enactment and has said that there where re-enactors who also did Viking that had Mohawks, long hair short hair etc. at events but he’s not sure if they where being 100% accurate hairstyle wise or if they where being a little more relaxed when it came to authentisity.

If it is a falacy it, then seems to be sticking around, but one would hope with Films/TV shows ditching the utterly false image of horned helmets that they might be making a little more effort to research things.

I’d be interested to find out if the image of the Viking with long hair is true or not, I know they grew their beards long as Viking re-enactment traders sell those little metal cuffs/beads to wear in them.

We started talking about ‘the vikings’ inaccuracies in the Helmets Thread. I still watch the series but I have the feeling the series isn’t making much of an effort to depict the period as relatively accurate. The vikings keep saying things like ‘they worship false gods’ and everyone of them except the shining hero Ragnar is completely incapable of tolerance or diplomacy. On the other hand the Athelstan storyline of the second season is full of christian tolerance for pagans. Why should pagans with lot’s regional gods have a problem with an other, christian god at all? The series is still pretty when it comes to buildings and costumes (for all there faults) but it’s made for an audience that expects to see certain things and is heavily influenced by Christianity.

its an ok fantasy series… just noway near accurate for the viking age.

no no ( Something like the Viking series )
it have not to be so a realy historical game
Just Vikings who rob and plunder and that you have a piece of land where you can build on
and can have chickens and cows to keep and that you must eat to survive,
and that you have a family and that when you die you proceed the game with your kids
than it would be really cool

Would be an exciting game, wait for millions of players for over 20 years.

But unfortunately - not feasible with the currently planned single-player-story-game :frowning:

almost everything that has a bit more historical grounds that has been on discovery, history channel etc is found on the youtubz. juist search for it and you will find enough to fill a weekend or two from dawn till dusk. or vice versa whenever you like to watch that. :slight_smile: I would like vikings though, for some extra weapons and armor, there is a new game out war of the vikings, from the makers of war of the roses. Would be pretty decent info there as well. Heck they might even give you (some) research they did to use if you ask them. Vikings as a show rocks though. ALL HAIL JARL RAGNAR LOTHBROK! and his extremely canadian but hot first wife. (Katheryn Winnick)