Stamina = energy shield from Halo

This game could use a realism/difficulty mod for the combat.
Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgV9bDivt2g&feature=youtu.be
Henry can get slashed seven or eight times by longswords while wearing nothing but underclothes, and only lose half his health.
Realistically I would expect two or three strikes to kill an unarmored player. But instead many hits simply take down 10% of your stamina, and cause no actual damage.
Likewise, it would be nice if more hits to armored players caused damage, especially ripostes. It’s pretty silly that parrying a blow can often do more ‘damage’ to your stamina than getting hit in the head by the same strike.

On the other hand, it seems like every hit does a small amount of damage to NPCs, even if the strikes are spaced out over several minutes.

1 Like

Is this a new issue from the 1.41 patch? Or is this something that’s been ongoing?

It’s been like this from the beginning.

Wow, not sure if you are console or PC, but I am PC, and for me, I get killed from a few hits if I am just in light armor, and that is with the light armor perk. I have never been able to survive when not heavily armored. Not sure how you are surviving. As for stamina, the perks change how much stamina is used to block and so fourth.
If you are on PC and want the game harder or more realistic, there are mods for it.

Stamina definitely acts as a forcefield… if you can space out how often you get hit you can go through much of the game with little or no injury even with no armour if you are ‘prudent’ with your attacks and manage place and position.

I don’t like it, and it was one of the first things I modded out, along with changes to weapon stat scaling, armour ‘spread’ and how it is calculated and applied. There is more that I plan to adjust in line with research and a design doc I am tweaking still, but I have enjoyed higher level play with a weapon which always does harm, even if less to much less of it (with next to no immediate health loss with significant armour, but a preference for injury and the later consequence of bleeding being the predominant loss mechanic under armour, rather than heavy immediate ‘hewing’ injuries - but a significant injury to any exposed or weakly protected areas, on any missed parry, whether for the first or last of a sequence of attacks).

It needs thousands more data edits before I consider it done to my satisfaction, and that assuming it works as expected in broader testing contexts.

(In vanilla, the light armour perk does nothing except expand the timing slot for the dodge defence - it has no influence on protection whatsoever - if you succeed, you take no damage at all, but if you miss the slot (or walk into the swing of that, or another weapon), then you get clobbered)

This can’t be a coincidence.

Do you play Naval Action?

I was active in the community for a while, but have been distracted by HEMA and KC:D of late.

Same here: it’s Maturin.

Here’s hoping you release a combat mod someday.

Do you even know what that perk does? It makes the window for dodges slightly wider. If you’re getting hit, you’re not dodging.

You can’t always dodge every hit, at least I can’t lol.