Suggestion, a better way to deal with fighting groups without having to use the forced lock on

One of the main issues that a lot of people seem to be having when it comes to melee combat is the auto lock on system the game uses, because of the way the combat system works (mouse direction = swing direction) this means you need a way to use the mouse in combat without it affect your view (like the mouse does outside of combat).

The problem is in fighting against groups of enemies when you have multiple people near you and the game auto-locks to one it usually ends up completely messing up your view or your intended target, sometimes auto locking on to targets that are further away then the guy who’s about to smash in your face.

i was thinking of how this could be fixed, how can you still make use of the direction based combat without a lock-on that would mess your camera view up also?

Simple, an attack button. If anyone here has played the pc game, Severance (aka Blade of Darkness) it made use of something similar.

Basically you have a button that you press and hold. While the button is pressed your mouse movements are attacks (instead of moving the camera about). So you would simply press and hold the button and then move your mouse in the desired direction to attack like normal. No lock on mechanic is needed to achieve this and it would free up the need to “auto lock” you on to enemies this way.

So fighting in groups of enemies you wouldn’t have to lock on and wouldn’t have to worry about your view and actions getting messed up by the lock on mechanics. You could freely move around like normal and still attack, etc.

Then you could engage the lock on yourself when you wanted without the game having to force it upon you.

5 Likes

Yeah i have the same problem but am on console

It can get annoying but I just started to use shift key to break current target, reposition myself, and then attack whoever I think should get poked in the face.

2 Likes

I have been dabbing with this. My aim is to remove any and all lockon without player imput.
The lock-on happens when you press and hold the blockbutton, as soon as you stop blocking, you also stop locking on.

Sadly, so far I have had no luck in finding the proper settings to remove soft-lockon while retaining the ability to lock on manually. Additionally I have not managed to bind lock-on and lock-off to the same key without using Autohotkey because of how the game is set up atm.

For explanation: The game treats lock on as two keys. Lock on and switch target. Lock off is a sepparat key, which currently can only be tied to the same button by an AHK toggle:=!toggle command.

I will return to try and get it working as to my intention this weekend. But to be honest, what this combat system really needs is an articulated touch-pad, or a gaming-keypad with a properly designed joystick. Sadly, nothing of the sort exists on the market. So we have to find less intuitive methods to solve the issue.

Still, I take this combat system over all other system found in any other game. Comparing it to Bethesda combat is pointless, because Bethesda don’t have combat. They have a stats-based click-fest.

I don’t have a problem with this. I just use the cancel lock on key, which in my case is bound to the shift key. I find it easy enough to shift my attention to suit the fight.

2 Likes

yes, so do I. But I find it frustrating that I need to have two keys, where just one would suffice. But the actual problem is that I cannot remove the soft-locking system without also removing the hard-locking system.

The problem you dont have a problem with is super simple to fix to my specifications with AutoHotKey. However, it would be better if I could control the keybinds in the game itself. Yet so far I have not been able to figure out the naming of different action, and have therefore not been able to bind them either in the console or in the user.cfg.

Imho, the benefit to having no soft lock, hardlock while block is held, is night and day to remove the jank and upp the fluidity and intuitivity without getting a specialized controller.

KCD has a serious flaw where NOT using the lock on mechanism avoids the entire combat system, because NPCs don’t really block/parry/dodge properly.

Aye, I have figured that out. All I want is to remove the games frustrating camera-hijacking in soft lock mode. So annoying. I either have a game that does not respect the player input, or I have a game in which noone can block my attacks.

The sad thing is that imho this needs fixing. But this sort of thing is always “low priority”, which means that it will never ever never in a million years, be fixed. Hell, unless the release the mod-kit within a week, it will likely take years before someone figures out how to hack the engine well enough to fix these problems.

I though WarHorse would finally be a developer that understands game-design. Sadly it is still the same tired crap of dictated game-play.

I wonder why they dont understand this simple rule. Never take control away from me unless I expressly chose to. Well, at least they dont have kill-cams and quick-time events. I just wish that game-developers would have understood this 30 years ago. Final rant section: This is why Blizzard made such good games: By gamers for gamers. Unless you actually play games, you will not identify the details.

If you think I am talking crap. Then please go on a drive with a drunk 5 year-old that tries and succeeds at taking the wheel. Sure, the biggest problem is that you will crash into a tree and die. But you will understand my frustration until that untimely end.

This is just as frustrating as the Skyrim 3rd person weapon readied twitching.

JUST RELEASE THE MOD-KIT SO WE CAN FIX THIS CRAP ALREADY! I cannot play until this get’s fixed.

Why are you driving around with drunk 5 year olds that are trying to escape?

But seriously, I enjoyed the game for what it is right now and am looking forward to when patches and mods finish it. Getting all worked up over the status of an ambitious new release from an untested developer makes no sense, because KCD is more finished than you should have expected.

There is a mod already released that handles this issue. More Responsive Targeting.

Basically you never have to lock on and you can freely move from one target to another, you can lock if you want but you are never forced into it. And if there is a bug I have never seen it, my NPC’s block, parry, master strike the hell out of me.

2 Likes

exploits like that are easily avoided, in fact it’s kind of out of the way to pull that off, so i don’t really care. if you want to use that, it’s more inconvenient than just getting good.

also, there’s a mod that makes that auto lock softer you can switch opponents more quickly without using scroll wheel.

I usually just keeping running backwards fighting, If I do not. I get surrounded

I am on console and it is a pain. I would like to have free combat. I love the combat but the auto lock is annoying as hell.

the more responsive targeting mod i feel does exactly what people here want. it’s adjustable, it’ just lines in the user.cfg file the game loads, so you can essentially tune it to your own liking. at the default value adjusted by the mod maker, it’s decent enough. it removes the camera lock during fighting, which actually feels really good, the targeting system is still present, all combos, defensive manuevers are still useable. you are able to switch between opponents faster mainly because the rubberband or glue effect which keeps you stuck on target is loosened and combined with the free camera you are able to reaquire targets quickly.

More responsive targeting does not do what people here want. We want a game that does not magnetize the camera in any way unless specifically asked for. There are tons of work-arounds for this. But sadly so many developers fail to realize the one feature that I value the most: player agency.

Instead we get things like camera forced magnetize (which is lock on, only called something else in this game, which might be the source of your confusion). We get zooms, camera control removed all the time, and so on.

All I want is a camera that I control.

I use More Responsive Targeting and my camera is always on free roam and I never lock on to a target unless I manually do so, which I never do in a multiple target fight, hell I never lock on unless I am training.

I use the default settings.

I can’t be the only one using this method, Is there another way? It seems like the only option when fight 3 or more. It seems I must back peddle and fight that way.