Swabian German translator wanted

I have come to a possession of an interesting document, but it is written in a very… uncommon dialect of German. Google translate broke its teeth. My German-speaking friends also told me that it’s a rare dialect and it’s not an easy task… It is supposedly in Swabian German, but I’m not sure. The text is one of the German sumptuary laws of the 14-15 centuries. It’s only 2 pages. If someone could translate it into English, they would serve a great deal for those who are interested in history…

Here is the file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wYq1sSfRyvyy9Q4PIQlYAeLayn0HDon3/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Sorry, I tried to read it, but this makes it very difficult.
I can imagine that google translation is lost completely here.

1 Like

Even as german, not from Swabian, i dont understand all.

Round about its a table of rules how u had to dress yourself

So if i try to read as i have learned by taking records of medieval German language, then you can read and understand a bit more and more after a few times. The “Verordnung gegen Unzüchtige Kleidung 1493” sounds very interesting.
Thanks for the PDF. I will read this in any case. Maybe it is possible to decrypt something more ^ ^

2 Likes

I’m a Swabian and talk mostly in dialect, but this text is very diffrent from todays Swabian dialect, or the modern german language and grammar in general. I can read most of it, but there are sometimes some keywords or passages i don’t understand. It’s basically a dresscode that regulates what properties people’s clothing must have so their appearence would be considered as “decent” or “appropriate”. I’ll try to translate the meaning of the text, but i won’t be able to translate the whole text word by word in a way that would make any sense. Things i write in [ ] are thoughts or annotations.

Dresscode of Strassburg 1370
First item: women are not allowed to wear a dress/skirt or jerkin that ends more than one quarter of an ell [measuring unit, 1 ell = 53,4 cm in Strassburg, but it was diffrent from town to town] above the kneecap, as long as they are here in the town. If they want to go riding, they can wear what they want, but when they come back into the town they have to wear what was described earlier; and this should be enforced by a fine of 5 pounds, sentenced by a judge and the master of calculation.
Next item: from now on, women are not allowed to wear any clothing items that lift their breasts, neither should they die their hair or wear wigs [“löcke” - locks, migth also refer to certain hair accessoires] made of dead people’s hair, and the neckline of their dresses schall not reveal their breasts, [something more about the neckline and a fine of 5 Pounds in case of violations, but i can’t make any more sense of that last part].
Women are also not allowed to wear dresses/skirts that cost more than XXX (30) Florin, fine also V (5) Pounds. Countrywomen who are visiting the town for the dance or [“sus”, no idea], are also not allowed to wear dresses/skirts that cost more than 30 Florin, if they do it anyways, our burgher who lets her stay for the night in his house has to pay the same fine of 5 Pounds aswell. This doesn’t apply for aristocratic women.
Women are also not allowed to wear a coat or boy’s coat wich ends more than a quarter of an ell above their knee, if it’s longer, they may very well wear it [the boy’s coat, i assume]. Who breaks this rule has to pay 5 Pounds.
Next item: no one is allowed to wear shoes with a beak that is longer than a thumb-wide, and who violates this has to pay 30 Schilling; but who wants to ride, can wear whatever boots he likes. No cobbler is allowed to manufacture shoes with a beak longer than a thumb-wide, neither for one of our burghers, nor for someone from the countryside, if he does it anyways, the fine is 25 Schilling. [This part obviously refers to these shoes with the long, pointed tips.]

Regulation against indecent clothing 1493
As there are quite a few men without any fear of god who are wearing disreputable, indecent clothes with the neck cut out so wide that it reveales their shoulders, or so short down below that they don’t even cover their private parts and their backsides, wich is blasphemous and unbearable in the eyes of reputable persons, our sirs and masters and councilmen and the XXI have decided, that you shall not wear this kind of clothing in our town anymore, and that everyone has to wear his clothing in a way that it at least covers [the following part is hard to make sense of, i’ll write it down how i understand it] his private parts, backside and shoulders; and who counteracts these rules has to be punished accordingly to the matter of fact, and no one is to overlook this or let him go unpunished.

Actum feria sexta post Udalrici, anno 1493 (5. Juli)
Proclamatum eodem die uf der pfaltzen. [No idea, never learned latin, unfortunately.]

Regulation regarding women in public 1471
In order to recognize the harlots and [“öden frowen”, not sure maybe abandoned women] amongst the decent women, they are supposed to wear coats wich don’t contain bast, and reach down 3 fingers wide above the ground; they also shouldn’t wear coats with [“vehe”, not sure, it could mean pelt or fur] or silk inner lining; they also shouldn’t wear dresses/skirts or shoes with an inner lining of pelt/fur [?] or silk; they shouldn’t wear dresses with [ok, i’m quite convinced now that “vehe” means fur or pelt] fur/pelt on the collar or the bottom, they’re also not supposed to wear golden buckles on it; if they are to do otherwise, they shall have to pay a fine of 5 Schock [“so dick das beschee”, no idea]; if any guard, [list of persons with official entitlement to enforce the law, wich i don’t really know the meaning, so i just write “guard”] finds one of these harlots violating these rules, he shall fine her with 5 Schock.
[next is a list of jewelry and accessoires these “harlots” aren’t allowed to wear, but translating this is too difficult for me, since there are a lot of things in this part that i can’t make much sense of. basically it says, they’re not supposed to wear golden or gold-colored belts, or gold chains, not sure. They can’t wear rings that are worth more than 1 Guilder, and other things, not quite sure. if they’re caught wearing these things, the guard is supposed to fine her 1 Schock per piece, and after she payed she can keep wearing it for the rest of the day but if she’s caught again, the piece of jewelry will get confiscated. Again, i’m not quite sure about this part, it’s quite confusing and i barely understand half of it. Sorry.]

Holy crap. This was much harder than i thought, especially the “Regulation on women in public” part. Took me 2 hours to translate this, you’re lucky i was bored and had nothing better to do :smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the effort!

What is the provenance of this text (who wrote it; what jurisdiction does it apply to?)

According to the Title, it was taken from a book wich contains a collection of regulations made by the Guilds and the police of Strassburg in the 14th and 15th century, so i guess it applies to Strassburg and it’s landholdings of that time period. As for who wrote it, i think that’s pretty much impossible to say. also that latin part
“Actum feria sexta post Udalrici, anno 1493 (5. Juli)” and
“Proclamatum eodem die uf der pfaltzen.”
might contain some additional infos, but like i said, i never learned latin.

Thank you, thank you thousand times! What you’ve done is more than enough and just awesome!

You’re welcome. It was a quite interesting and fun thing to do. I like old texts, it fascinates me how much languages change over time.

1 Like