Switch to the Closest Enemy Option

I am a big fan of the KCD combat system in general, however switching enemies inside the soft-lock system is one area, where I feel it falls a bit short. Trying to switch targets can be a bit tricky sometimes. When you are fighting multiple enemies, they constantly shift arround and when, for example, some enemy charges you from the side, you might not be able to quickly switch focus to him, since you are still locked to the other guy and there might be some other enemies in between, which will only slow down the switching process. In such situations I find the switching is just too slow and awkward, most of the time it takes multiple tries to switch to the enemy you wanted, sometimes it doesnt switch at all, and by the time you finally manage, you have probably already gotten hit.

So I propose to add an additional option that would allow you to switch to the enemy that is closest to you at the moment. Now it would take a press of a single button, instead of trying to hectically figure out how to navigate between the enemies, using the next/previous opponent option (the next/previous switch options would still remain, of course, I am not suggesting removing them).

I think implementing this solution, would largely resolve the issue, at least for me. What do you think?

2 Likes

The switching with tab sucks, use MMB. Autoswitching would make everybody puke in bigger fights.

No, I dont mean autoswitching in the way that computer would switch for you, you would still have to press a button in order to do it.

That might be better but I just use MMB anyway, it works well unlike the tab thing

Of course the switch to next/previous enemy options would remain, they do have their place. I dont suggest removing them, just that a new option for switching to the closest enemy would be added alongside them. Like I said, having such option would be highly helpful in situations where you dont have time to figure out whether you should use next or previous. An enemy might charge up against you and you need to quickly switch to him, without much thinking, but you are still locked to the other guy, who might not be an imminent threat anymore and then some other enemy might get between the guy you are locked onto and the guy who is about to hit you and hence you cant switch to the guy who is about to hit you quickly enough and its just a big mess. This happens all the time and being able to hit a key and switch to the closest enemy right away would be immensely helpful in those situations.