Take the weapon with one or two hands

I don’t know if this topic is repeated, sorry

When you take an weapon you can take it with one hand or with two hands, really? you can go with a sword in one hand and a shield in the other hand or you can go with one sword take with two hands. But this have some differents, if you take the weapon with one hand you wouldn’t have the same power than if you taken with two hands. Like Dark Souls, yes? if you take your weapon with one hand you can do faster and flow attacks, and if you take with two hands you can do more powerful and slow attacks, and to do a more dynamic game can be changed to one hand to two hands (only if you don’t use a shield or a second weapon) in the middle of battle, no?
This is already implemented in the KCD combat system? and what you think about this?

If we are talking a ordenary longsword,(what games usually call a bastard sword) then it is a lot faster and more powerfull when used in two hands… so no reason not to use both hands. Only if you are using your left hand for something els, like grappling do it make sense not to use it on the sword.

1 Like

Longsword is purelly one-hand weapon when 1 and half hand sword aka bastard sword is mix of two-hand sword and longsword, so you can use it with shield or without. Quite nice quality if your shield is broken or lost during a battle.

1 Like

… yes, longsword is designed to be used with a single hand, but in a real case on use two hands if necessary

I’m curious to see how will they handle narrow paths (like circular stone stairs) while using large swords (or any other weapon actually). Will the blade go through objects like walls or we will have to maneuver our sword to be able to attack?

I don’t know… but normally the battles be in open fields and no inside a houses

weapons physically collide and interact with environment. your sword will scrape the wall then hit the enemy at a slower force

NO!
The weapon you see in Talhoffer or Fiore Dei Liberi is in german called “Schwert” ( or swert) or “Langschwert.”
(a weapon that is clearly used primarily in two hands)
That is naturally translated to sword or longsword in english.

So if you want to define it more than just “sword” the correct name for it is “Longsword”

A one handed sword was often called a arming sword. (in english)

7 Likes

Siege battles, getting over or through the wall is just the start. Then you have to clear fort or castle itself and that was quite bloody thing to do cause tight quarters.

Well grab your dagger or do thrust attacks with your sword.

or simply half-sword. you would do so when fighting opponents in plate armor anyway.

1 Like

No.

Longsword, bastard sword, hand and a half sword, espadón and the later term langes schwert are all the same thing. Primarily two handed swords that can be used single handedly, developed from the earlier Swords of War (Oakeshott Type XIIa blades). Longsword’s developed over time to better defeat plate armours. Longswords were not around when shields were common. By the era of plate (1375 we see the start of all-whyte armours), shields were relegated to use only during the initial lance charge and for foot tourneys used with arming swords.

6 Likes

Okay, but in the game you can use more weapons than swords o longswords, like hammer, spears, axe, halberd, and swords

The swinging would actually be quicker when one uses two hands on a sword rather than one. Think more strength= more speed and power. If you have two hands instead of one, you have more strength, yes?

Oh I didn’t know this, but yes, you have mote strenght, But my propose is to change the movements, o to have a special attack with 2hands

More strength does not equal more speed. It’s the extra leverage that enables you to swing it faster.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering about that previous statement. Just take a look at all those “Mister Universes”. They don’t look like they could run very fast with those hard inflexible muscles.

Yeah those would definitely be slow but I was talking from a mathematical point of view. Strength is simply the amount of force you exert and that is not directly effecting the speed.

But that’s not true if you think of it as mathematically and (in this specific case) physically:

F = m * a
a = dv / dt
v = ds / dt

So force has a deep relationship with speed. I’ve heard someone saying they’re making out every second day.

Ehm yeah forget what I said what speed and strength my mind drifted away a little.

However Mister Universe would deliver one hell of a blow if you hand him a sword.

1 Like