Technical Issue: Memory Allocation

So I’ve seen in a previous thread where someone has an error message about memory allocation failure, and the conclusion is that a system needs about 8 gigs of RAM, minimum, to run KCD. All of the discussions and such I read are for whenever someone first starts to play the game.

My issue is different. I’ve been playing it since the week it released, and it was only recently that memory allocation errors started popping up mid gameplay. Normally I’d just be able to load back up and keep playing, and advance. But this week the error messages started getting more frequent. Then, today, it pops up. No biggy, I reload. I load in, and it pops up within 30 seconds. Then after that, the error message shows up before KCD finishes loading the main menu. And now it won’t even launch the game, it just shows the error message.

Here’s the kicker. I have 16 Gigs of RAM! I have more than double the minimum for the game to run, so I have no idea why I’m even getting this message, ro how to fix it!

------UPDATE-----
So, I rebooted the PC and the game has now launched successfully. I’ll reload a previous ave before the quest I was one when it started (Next to Godliness), and see how it works.

-----Update 2-----
Yeah, I didn’t get far before it crashed again. Tried to load up and try again, and again the game crashed before the menu finished loading.

-----Update 3-----
Reinstalling the game appears to have worked, for now.

What do you have your swapfile set to?

Not sure. In fact, I’ve never even heard of a swapfile. What is it, and how do I check?

This should tell you all you need to know: https://www.windowscentral.com/what-swapfilesys-and-do-i-need-it-my-windows-10-pc

But if you never heard of it then it’s probably set to windows managed which should mean it’s a sufficient size.

Do you have 32 bit or 64 bit OS because if it’s 32 you’ll only be able to use about 4gb of the 16gb ram.

It’s a 64 bit version of Win 10. And if it’s relevant, the processor is an eight-core 4GHz processor.

Ah. Thanks for the help anyway.

Is it a blue screen or just an game/Windows dialog message?

If it’s a BSOD I would check all drivers are up to date and run Windows memory diagnostic tool.

Nah, it’s just a Windows message. I ain’t had a BSOD in… sheesh, at least a decade.

Try MSI Afterburner overlay to monitor free Ram, ammount of ram consumed by game and i not sure but it maybe can monitor swapfile (pagefile.sys)

Upade: Yeah you can monitor pagefile too - Pagefile usage metric.

Wait, I just had a thought; I do have a few mods installed; specifically an unlimited saves one (which seems to be kinda sorta not working properly) a target dot for archery, one which makes arrows have no trails, and one which makes them fly faster. Is it possible one of these has mucked things up?

I think I managed to replicate something similar myself, I was helping someone test their broken save and somehow corrupted my game to the point I was CTD’ing as soon as I tried to load a save or start a new game, the solution was a complete uninstall, delete of the folder, delete of the profile folder in C:\Users(your name)\Saved Games\kingdomcome then reinstall the game via Steam.

Obviously you need to backup your saves before you delete everything!

Once I’d reinstalled I then tried starting a new game which worked ok and after that copied over my last save and it loaded fine.

Ah. Was hoping to avoid a scorched earth approach, but I guess there’s no choice. Thanks. I’ll give it a shot when I can get the time.

Yeah, it worked. Reinstalling the game has fixed the issue. Thanks for the help!

Glad to help :slight_smile: