Terrible Console Performance

Wholeheartedly agree.

It feels like graphics concerns for console users sometimes get short shrift around here as evidenced in part by Daniel’s persistent tweets about good/great performance with 123456697373785373gtx (obviously a bullshit version) but nothing about console performance … other than :thinking:

I think that this game was ahead of it’s time. It uses to many Cpu intense Processes. The game even lags and stutters terribly on the xbox one X when you dare to run through a town or can even crash when you use a horse. The texture and object quality is also surprisingly bad for xbox one X.

1 Like

Thing is not many would be able to do any better. Imagine if Bethesda took control of this game. It’d have better optimization but be like My First RPG. Am I rite?

If KCD were FO4-ified, we’d have mods by Christmas, a corrupt save file mechanism for over 1 yr, a chronic fps nosedive in the 2nd most built up area for yrs, fatal CE crashes throughout the lifetime of the product whenever you don’t well manage saves (and in-game assets), a mindnumbingly silly lack of save-exit functionality upon launch, more bugs than Henry has balls, big things dropping out of thin air as you approach an area, an abundance of mundane/tedious tasks, and occasional pop-ins that appear at 2-300m from user

Holy sugar… such a difference

1 Like

This sounds like a nerd way of saying it does cool technical stuff at the cost of being user friendly

2 Likes

Update: did my first map wide travel in hardcore mode. The popins in Sasau were bad; never ever had such rendering lag in Sasau. It was as if some guy went crazy with CADD … I wasn’t even traveling fast. Canter or slower. Reported

@WH_janrucker @DrFusselpulli I can and am willing to drop hundreds on this game and its DLC (I’m dead serious), but it’s hard to justify if graphics performance doesn’t noticeably improve.

2 Likes

Ok i have to agree with you but now it’s to late the game is out and the graphics will not be fixed on this gen

If this is truly the case, Daniel and Tobi need to man up and say so.

1 Like

Why would they ? From what i see the majority of people are happy with the graphics. I still don’t know why the textures are so muddy on xbox one X but i don’t think that it will be fixed. The game is out since 4 months now.

Nobody is happy with popins. XB1 and PS4pro has been among the most dissatisfied of all users due to graphics.

By fix, I don’t mean zero popins and zero rendering anomalies. Making an improvement over 1.5 would be ok. But, 1.6 is a straight up pop-in regression over every patch including day 1.

I wasn’t being hyperbolic. As I approached Sasau on a nag, it looked like I was stuck in a CADD app.

2 Likes

This must be on Ps4 pro then because on Xbox one X it looks the same. (aka bad :D)

I have Xbone one original and the game looks amazing. Maybe ur standards too high. Is ur fov on high? Game looks worse with low fov

XBox One:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is “fov”?
And where (menu) would I set it - High/Low ?
if this has something to do with Patch 1.6, I wont see it because I’m still running on 1.5.
its running fine on 1.5, and i hate to risk having other problems, especially with graphics.
thanks

Field of view

The degrees you can see in front of you. Eg 60 or 90.

I was having terrible frame stutter in Rattay before i.5. Some brief frame freezing too.
No stutter in Rattay now or anywhere else, but still have an occasional frame freeze.
Once it sounded like it was going to crash and I hit the “B” button and console corrected the problem. May have been a coincidence. It might have corrected itself if I had waited.
I had a problem with Bird In the Hand quest, where 2 of the cages appear back at the quest giver, but I have not been able to find them. This is a minor quest, so I’m not concerned.
I also see pop-ins in the scenery at a distance and some RPGs in Rattay heads and clothing take a second or two to appear. Annoying, but it wont keep me from playing.
Rain does not seem to be as pixalated in the day as it does at night.
No real problem riding Pebbles in Rattay, and I have also sprinted in Rattay with no problem.
I should add, that I had deleted all my other games, except Skyrim, so my HD had plenty of space.
i did this when I was having the terrible frame stutter in hopes free HD space would fix stutter.
It didn’t, and I didn’t play the game for about 6 weeks, then patch 1.5 was available.

How can you set FOV ?

Should be in graphics settings. At least on XO it is for me. The higher the better.

1 Like

The main issue is the engine they decided to use, that being cry engine. its notoriously know for being a very demanding engine. Most high end pc’s can cope with it in varying degrees, but its not the ideal engine to use for consoles. Problem is this game was supposed to be a pc title, so I’m supposing that’s why they primarily decided to go with cry engine, however this being niche a rpg, pc only sales would not have given satisfactory return on the development cost and investments. So the looked to the lucrative console market and gave us a dumbed down version of the game. It looks the way it does and performs the way it does on console because it has to be so dumbed down so the consoles can handle the game engine.

There are very few developers that use cry engine for console development. Most smaller dev teams use Unity or Unreal engine. This game would have most probably run a lot better on consoles if one of those engines were used.

I’m also getting sick and tired of these huge patches we getting (past the 12 gig mark) that seem to fix absolutely nothing. This is also comes down to them unsung cry engine cause it does not allow them to fix small sections (like other game engines) so you basically download a huge portion of the game only to fix one or two bugs in that specific section of the game, this is all down to the way cry engine patches.

Unfortunately I don’t think we will ever see performance/graphical improvements for this game on console, but I still like this game a lot, to bad they decided to use this particular game engine to run their game.

Hopefully going forward if they make any other games in the future they will think about using a game engine that is more console friendly if they want to take advantage of that sector of the market. This however is still a good game with regards to character and story, to bad the graphics and performance sux on ps4/xbox

1 Like

Really don’t see many issues mate. There are games like Evil Within 2 which uses an older engine and runs about the same as KCD. I play console because its convenient for me and I can chill on the sofa playing a very deep game and do what i want. I’m not going to cry about getting less frames than a PC which had to be tweaked AF to get an extra 10fps…

1 Like

Can only speak of my own KCD console experience: with 1.5, there was improvement with popins, and with 1.6, there was improvement with rain pixelation. So, it don’t understand this contention of yours

3 Likes