The combat makes me want to kill myself

Perfect example of people not taking the time to learn or understand the mechanics of the combat before posting a thread ridiculing it.

I do however, understand that learning ripostes and combos isn’t super apparent on a first playthrough.

They should include the riposte training in the main quest, after you get the hang of that and stop getting murdered in seconds it gets easier to focus on feignt, combos and start experimenting and finding your play style.

1 Like

exactly what I tot but in late game you are more than hero you are a god the game becomes super easy

1 Like

yes I completely agree this game need difficulty setting the game is to easy for some people and too hard for others.

4 Likes

It really gets too easy too soon. I took my good time doing a lot of side questing and exploring instead of rushing through the main storyline. So by the time I had to fight Runt and his pals my Henry was around lvl 10 - 12 with the necessary fighting skills. It was easily possible for me to run through the whole camp oneshotting almost every Bandit or Cuman with a single stab with my shortsword. Due to the fact that I was wearing a nice fully plated armor which I looted during my time in the open world they barely harmed me fighting back.
When I finally got to fighting Runt it was almost the same. He ran at me and even before he could land his first hit I stabbed him once (or maybe twice) and he went down.
Long story short: figthing in this game may be frustrating in the beginning. But once Henry develops better skills it will be laugahbly easy. So the balancing definitely seems to be a little bit off.

3 Likes

yea same thing happened to me I can kill the captain with one shot with practice weapon but I found the combat at the beginning really cool I just wish I could stop my combat skills from leveling up completely and go back to the fun I had in the beginning.

I dont need any difficulty settings at all.
In the begining every idiot killed me, but now with skill and training i could win 1VS7 fight. Only few NPCs are though for me right now.
And perks are important too! Its 50% of success.

1 Like

It’s understandable that you find the combat hard, but just because you paid “full price” doesn’t mean you have an automatic right to enjoy the game as you wish to. Buy a race car with no ABS and no Traction Control and then complain it’s hard to drive because you can’t stomp on the pedals at will?

Sorry but it’s hard to empathise when you don’t find it “fun” to learn intricacies. So you have a job, as do most of us. What’s the rush? You want to “beat” the game? I really wish people would use the search function and watch the myriad tutorials on YouTube before asking for a difficulty slider.

3 Likes

If you think getting your arse kicked I could tell you about the insane anger I felt when I finally killed 8 or 9 renegades in a camp after trying about 7 times, and the f*cking game crashed.
I could, but I’d probably be banned from this forum for life.

casual combat whine thread #5632678

1 Like

That’s partially because you use much better gear than the enemies you fight. Try fighting a camp of Cumans or robber knights, those will still give you a hard time.

I was were you are. I was getting killed over and over again by the same shitheads. 4 hours in a row I got my ass handed to me. I wanted to deinstall the game and was really sad, because the rest was awesome and then I trained with sir Robard for 3 hours, I got battered, bruised, humiliated and bloddied. Then I looked into my menu and picked the perks I thought were good for me and went Bandit hunting and again i got my ass handed to me, over and over again. Then I realized that I used a sword with a AGI of 10 and my AGI was 7. So I trained that over and over. As I reaced 10 I went back and oh boy did those bandits suffer at my hand. It was like archangel Gabriel descendet from heaven and layed wrath upon those poor souls.

Then I learned Ripostes and I am still figuring them out.

The Moral is: YOU are a Peasant and no Knight. You are no Swordfighter, you have to become one! Training and doing is the point of it all.

3 Likes

I hope this helps, this is just my expereince and what I find works, it might not work for you.

The combat is 2 parts, loadout and actual combat.

For loadout, you have to strike a balance of manoeuvrability, visibility and protection.

Obvious things like ‘big n heavy’ can take a beating, but can’t move quickly, you can’t see as much and potentially; you will lose health eventually from stamina depletion.

Stamina is the killer. No matter what you have going on in terms of defensive items, you are going to lose health if you don’t have stamina and quickly, regardless of armour. So this is important when considering what protection you get, in relation to the stamina spend to use it and speed. (pro tip: check descriptions of armour)

In terms of weaponry, the verity of different styles is a taste thing. Some of the buyable weapons have different traits in the description of the item and will help you build a style based on whats available. Personally, I’m a fan of the Bastard Sword (long sword).

For the Actual Combat itself:

when you are facing an enemy one on one, often you just have to keep them busy with a few jabs and maybe run into them to knock them back for a few cheap shots while stunned.

The big mistake is trying to head into a combo right away, and then getting your ass handed to by an unblockable repost. This is where the frustration lies. More often than not, you will just get jabbed if you go full killer in and try chop them. try to read them and perfect block them and give them a few chops where their sword and their armour isn’t.

With a successful hit, this will more often than not cause them to be hit backwards, and a chain shot or two will make itself apparent. Gain little bits of momentum and keep moving back and out of the way, and keep them on their toes.

Less armoured targets will go down after stabbing them a bit and react more violently to hits, meaning once you have them, they can be chained down harshly.

With more armoured targets, it’s about hitting the places where they are not armoured and causing injury where possible. sometimes you will come across someone who is armoured head to toe. Don’t Panic, they just require a little bit more time.

They will be slow and their telegraphs big. prefect block if you can, or move out of the way and get a quick stab in.

As the loss of stamina causes you to take damage, so is the same with the big boys. Underneath all that gear, they will lose a shed load of stamina each time you get them. This is the same for less armoured people with shields and such. A smack to the shield drops their stamina and stops it shooting back up (keep em on their toes!) and this is how you accrue your damage.

As they get more knackered, it will show. Suddenly you will start getting some much more punishing looking hits on them and they will drop like a log. Again, little bits of momentum, saved up and used to beat them.

With multiple foes:

You will often come across 2 types of people: people with smashy/stabby/short range armoured buisness, and archers.

Chances are 2 or more smashing people will head straight for you. Have you’re bow and arrow ready and shoot them in the legs.

You will all of a sudden start an uneasy dance with the close range people. Keep moving and fall back defensively. Try to line up the enemy with their archers. More often than not, they will shoot them in the back for you.

When you’re face to face with with a few of them, it gets interesting. It’s more about letting them know that if they get near you, your going to f**k them up. Quick switching between bad guys and a few chops will calm their pace. Then its about finding one that you manage to get a lucky hit on and stagger, then quickly turning you attention to the others and keeping them from just running round you and outmaneuvering you while your busy. attacking into them too much will land you in a circle of pain and with low stamina. retreat and form up.

Archers and little wankers, but they will be very vunrable to a good stabbing. Watch their stance and see when they are winding up, and find a little bit of tree or serpentine like mad. Getting hit is not good news and can quite easily do you in. get a quick hit in, watch your stamina, turn them into spam.

Combat overall:

Keep them guessing with direction and watch their direction!!
If you are getting parried again and again with unblockable frustratingness, cool your jets and dance a little with them. Don’t let them dictate the tempo. If they do start getting aggressive, block and the perfect block and try a quick stab or a chop on the side where they are open, or just chain an attack or two.

Chain attacks, don’t try to pull off combos and don’t rely on a riposte. they are quite rare, but cool if you get them. use the slo-mo time to dig a quick strike in to wear down their stamina.

If you can stick em like a pig, opt for that. If you can’t, then it’s a dance, a think, and a chop here and there until they do something stupid (don’t be afraid to lay into cowards, they will drop quickly.)

Be aware of stamina. you drink it all, you are going to take loads of damage. Often the biggest trap is sinking too much stamina into an extended attack, and then getting hammered while you are down. Avoid at all costs.

If all else fails, run a bit as you might be taking arrow fire as well (not helpful for bleeding and generally kicking ass) and recover your posture. a tactical retreat is a sound plan, although watch your heels.

Notes:

It’s kind of counter-intuitive, but when practicing combat in rattay upper gate, the wooden swords just nip here and there. you will see the effect of stamina damage from these if you are too aggressive. It’s more or less teaching you to dance and how to find you spots, rather than just skyrimming it with a bash-bash-bash. When you are againt a actual enemy, maintaining a equal posture with the captain plays into wearing you opponent down in real combat. even if they block, they are getting closer to the point where they will take damage.

remember: a sneek up and shoot a poison arrow into their most dangerous looking guy will see him out of play in less than 30 seconds. Same with poisoning your blade. Try lullaby and all of a sudden, they will be dropping stamina left and right, straight up poison them and watch them die, there is a particularly nasty brews that can even freeze them to the spot. Also there is an unknown potion you will pick up at some point, why not test it on some utter bastards!

there are always variables for this strategy. Just remember, if they are getting pushed back by you, even though it might not look like you are doing well, they are probably a little closer to deaths door than you think.

Even though you are trying to be cautious, sometimes they will just get you in a riposte loop. remember to stay clam and bring you stamina back up. watch their movements, keep moving yours on your sword and your movement. a little dip into them could cause them to attack, or put them off rhythm a bit. Control the space between you and the bad guy and you win.

3 Likes

There comes a point where you will be complaining about the exact opposite. It gets to the point where you 1 shot everyone. The early levels are the most challenging and fun.

2 Likes

killing the captain with 1-3 shots with practice weapon and he has like good gears… but i found my problem some perks I have are really overpowered ill make a new game and not get them

All good tips, but one could definatly rely on riposte if they want. It is one of the few things that are 100% chance of damage. Plus a free strike from the stagger.

The timing is quite easy if you pay attention to the enemy’s animations.

1 Like

Riposte is, essentially, a player cheat. It’s used to defeat bosses by 1-shot to their faces. The first boss wears no helmet at all and the second no mask. Once you take them down it’s just silly. I restarted and used a mod to make the combat harder and I didn’t “learn” Riposte in the Training options and will not learn it until I absolutely need it.

If they keep the block as it is but change it so that you also need to match the direction of the incoming blow to trigger riposte I think it would be solid.

From me on, I’m just going to ignore you people who think that a myriad people complaining about a game mechanic almost every day has absolutely no reflection on how that game mechanic may be at fault. People like you and the git gud brigade are the cancerous ulcer of any game’s community.

And that’s all well and good but my point is that hours upon hours of training swordplay in a muddy arena outside of Rattay is not fun.
At least to me it isn’t. I want to be able to do quests and earn some money, experience the game world and be actually able to roleplay without first having to stand in an arena for 3 goddamn hours wasting my time on the most frustrating and boring shit in the game. I’m sorry, I know most of the people here feel differently but even now that I’m becoming more adept at the system, my opinion isn’t different.

The game needs a difficulty slider, so people can play the way they enjoy playing. No-one wants to turn on a video game in order to grow brain aneurysms every time they encounter a Cuman during fast travel.

Realism is all nice and well but it has its limits. And if a player wants to sacrifice realism for enjoyment that should bloody well be his choice.

1 Like