The combat makes me want to kill myself

Lastly, I want to make clear that my problem isn’t a good challenge. I beat the Witcher 3 on death marsh and I had a blast. That’s because Witcher 3’s combat system is fun, intuitive and the challenge comes from a place of studying your opponent and perfecting your technique. In KCD the challenge is like digging yourself out of prison with a spoon. There is no special technique, there is no study, there is just sitting in that arena and letting yourself get fucked up time after time until you have the right perks and that’s according to you all.

It’s just ridiculous to me that so many of you defend this system just to complain in the next breath that it gets too easy too quickly. A combat system that starts out shit and ends in shit is just that: it’s shit. And no amount of whining and bitching about the people who, in their frustration, take to the forums to outline their concerns is gonna change the fact that it’s shit.

And as for whoever compared video games to cars earlier, give me a break. When I buy a car I know in advance that it doesn’t have features I’d like. I can test drive the car and give it back if I hate it. I immediately see what’s wrong with the car and make an informed decision and most importantly: It is impossible to put a difficulty slider in a car. You know what’s not impossible? Putting a difficulty slider in KCD. So your point falls flat completely, please choose a corner to feel ashamed in.

2 Likes

I mean you had to be told about one of the key features of the combat mechanic. This just suggests that you did no research of your own or took any initiative to try and learn it before coming here to rant about it.

3 Likes

I absolutely love the combat system. You start as a weak kid that can’t slash a wooden stick with a mastercrafted sword and you learn your way through the game, yourself as well as Henry. THAT is the design. You find it shit ? Tough luck that’s how it is and that’s what it was advertised as. Move on.

2 Likes

The OP came off a bit strong and could have find the answers if he dug a bit, that’s the way I did it in the end. But I never found any good detailed explanation of how to actually perform the moves, just “do it” type of answers. After experimentation in the ring with Bernard it eventually “clicked”.

To be fair, if you are expected to go to a forum or other resource to figure out a key part of the game, there is probably something the devs can do to present it better to teach the new players.

Edit: I love the system now that I know how it works, just make riposte harder to perform by requiring you to match the direction of the incoming blow and it would be perfect for me. (not including the other issues with damage scaling and damage types)

3 Likes

Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to that. But you could have researched the game some and made a informed decision about it. But you did not, so now you are complaining, that realism is bad and you want to be the Hero who mounts the world and fucks it. Also comparing Witcher 3 in any case with KDC is dumb, because they cover complete different things. One is set in a FANTASY World the other in BOHEMIA 1402. Get it? It is Dungeons, no Dragons. No Übermensch Heros and no I can do everything and I am great at it.

2 Likes

Exactly after experimentation it clicked! That’s what this game is about, learning and improving and discovering these things on your own Which is one of the best features that seems to be going underrated and misunderstood by a lot of players.

The sense of achievement you get from seeing yourself actively improving is far better than hacking your way through every tom, dick and harry from the get go.

At least that’s my opinion.

2 Likes

Since apparently I’m only allowed to post a limited number of replies in 24h, I had to make a second account but rest assured, I am OP. I’ll just have to do all replies in one single post then.

Mw2ruinslives:
For the love of God, take your time and read the thread. Riposte isn’t a magic be-all and end-all argument that makes the system fun suddenly. Even with riposte, the system sucks. If it’s not too difficult, it’s too easy to most people. So don’t give me that I didn’t do research shit. A good combat system doesn’t require players to go out of their way to find out about the one skill that allows them to get past the frustration in some YouTube video or forum post. A good combat system doesn’t have one single skill that has to be learned to make it bearable and that will make it too easy down the line. A good combat system has a tutorial that actually teaches you how to learn to fight instead of taking 20 minutes just to explain the convoluted control scheme. Nothing about this system is acceptable, with riposte and without. And it can all be fixed with a difficulty slider.

Drekal:
"I absolutely love the combat system."
More power to you. But just because you love it doesn’t mean everyone else has to and it sure as hell doesn’t mean everyone else should just shut the fuck up because it slightly annoys you that people have gripes with the system.

der_Metatron:
"Also comparing Witcher 3 in any case with KDC is dumb"
No it is not. They are both games involving sword combat and one does it right, the other does not.
"so now you are complaining, that realism is bad and you want to be the Hero who mounts the world and fucks it."
What a fucking ridiculous strawman. Never have I said I wanted to be an Übermensch. Quote me if I did. If I recall correctly, what I said was that the combat system is frustrating and that a difficulty slider is needed. I don’t want to breeze through the game one-shotting enemies, I want a comprehensive, intuitive combat system that conveys the difficulty of swordplay not through clunkyness and sheer unusability of the system until you learn a certain skill hours into the game.

Mw2ruinslives again:
Exactly the same goes for you:
"hacking your way through every tom, dick and harry"
Not want I want, never said it was.

2 Likes

Same for me, it just “Clicked” and everything came together. The Learning Mechanix, the Level Enhanced combat, the Bookreading and the awesome Alchemy. It just fell into place and drags into this beautiful brutal world of politics and the destiny of that peasent boy.

1 Like

All right that’s some heavy trolling I have to admit. Stop feeding it guys it’s already fairly overweight ! Abandon thread

1 Like

Don’t left us on our own. Once you joined, you won’t be able to leave. :relieved:

1 Like

It’s a waste of time, OP Just won’t get that He bought a Game with realistic swordfighting and that this simply Takes some Time to learn. He’s Not willing to learn it because “it Kills fucking hours in the Game”. The Game is great(though Not perfect) at what it does and He obviously didn’t get what it is designed to do.
Pro-Tipp for you: Take the time to inform you about a Game the next Tine you wanna buy one. Could have easily solved your problem.

2 Likes

I agree, and for me personally I’m not too bothered as I enjoy researching and experimentation, I get frustrated then I don’t understand how everything works “behind the scenes” and do what I can to change that =)

But I can see that it could be annoying for some players, and something as simple as including the special moves tutorial in the training with Bernard would help, then everyone would at least be aware of it.

Every single one of you people’s replies is the exact same.
"You bought a game for $60 and you discovered a mechanic that can be improved with something as simple as a difficulty slider but you need to shut the fuck up because I say the system is great and so you must be wrong."

Unless someone comes in here with something more substantial than this ridiculous non-argument, I’ll save the limited replies I have.

1 Like

Come on man, practice more and you will get the hang of it.

Believe it or not we all have jobs too. Took me ages to get used to the combat, but now it is great and much more rewarding than any other RPG I have played. You can also learn the combos when you level up your sword skills, which really help in fighting.

1 Like

You wanna go out and experience the game world and you wanna fight like a soldier who did that his whole life, even if you are a peasnt boy and no templar knight. So to get better you have to train. You can go out and fight Bandits. You earn XP from that. Sorry, that is the power Fantasy you don´t wanna get in KDC. That does not make it a sshit Combat and experience system, it just makes it not your type of coffee.

Witcher 3 has a combat system wich helps you with quite button presses to fight like a genetically altered Mutant who did fight his whole damn life and is pretty good at it from the beginning. And you think that having a sword in the Game makes them somehow comparable? Don´t get me wrong, I love the Witcher 3 and the combat system but it has no place in KDC.

Sorry, but it seems you have bought the wrong game. That happens from time to time and one should own that fact.

2 Likes

It can’t, because a difficulty Slider is against der Design of the Game. If you want “realism combined with difficulty-sliders” Play Skyrim with realism Mods.
Check your Game before buying, Bit of googling would have stopped you then.

Help us understand what you want from combat in this game then? All I see is another player giving up at the first hurdle so to speak. You offered no suggestion on how it can be made better other than difficulty sliders, which would still incorporate the same mechanics regardless?

If you want a button masher so you can play with one hand and rant on forums with the other, there’s hundreds to choose from.

Can be improved on?

Nah it is fine as it is. Just because it is not what you want it to be, does not make it bad. Also stop mentioning how much you paid for the game, that argument has nothing to do with the combat (or anything else for that matter).

“the first hurdle”?
Hours into the game? The first hurdle after hours of tutorial and hours of free roaming where enemies one-shot you because you can’t do anything? That’s a first hurdle to you? No. To me, that’s a hurdle that exists from the beginning, persists through a good 6 hours of the game and then the solution is to spend another 3 hours in the arena doing nothing but train. that’s not “the first hurdle”, that’s hours upon hours of wasted progress because you can’t fight worth shit and die because of a random mugging between towns losing a hell of a lot of progress. Calling this a “first hurdle” is just disingenuous.

And improvements have been mentioned here before. Include the riposte in the main quest. Give henry the ability to train earlier in the game. Make it clear in the tutorial that unless you don’t train for hours, you can’t win a real fight. Add a damn difficulty slider so people can choose how difficult the learning curve is. Although most of you clowns seem to believe it, this doesn’t mean you can dial down difficulty so much that you can rambo your way through bohemia but perhaps you can dial it down, so instead of 3 hours in the arena, you’d need 45 minutes to train to become proficient.

People act like any tiny little change you could suggest is totally against the game’s design and people who have a problem with it should just shut up and shouldn’t have bought the game.
You’re treating KCD like your newly painted masterpiece of a painting and any and all suggested edits are an insult to your very core. Fucking get over yourselves. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, everyone who buys a game has the right to criticize it and everyone who is frustrated with it has the right to complain and suggest improvements. Stop being such tribal idiots who can’t take one opposing opinion and need to jump into action defending your damsel of a game. Honestly, at this point this community is more frustrating than the combat in the game.

There’re no sliders, cus the game conception is like that. It’s like IRL. You’re doing HEMA for example. You’ve just started to learn its standards. You don’t know how to hold the distance well, timings and stuff, so you won’t be able to win against the guy, who was doing HEMA for 3-5 years for example(Who was training, not just slackering around). But, if you spent the time quite hard training and you’ll know all the aspects that gives you opportunity to win, then you’ve a chance to win. The same with the game.

At the beginning, you can’t do anything, cus the character haven’t tried in his entire life to do things like: Pickpocketing, alchemy, swordfight, warfare, lockpicking, reading and all. You need to learn with him, you need to progress as a player. The game requires more thinking, than fighting around. It requires your understanding and patience. Fighting system becomes easier and easier with the time you’re spending training your character. I’ve trained to the point, when i can win Sir Bernard with a wooden sword.

It’s really a long discussion with many arguments(Who want to write them and to prove something). I’ll just say the same thing, that i said at release day to people on forums: Just spent a few hours straight by training with Sir Bernard on arena and you’ll see, how fighting system will start to flowering. When you can use combos and stuff. When speed of combat will increase with character progression. But, yeah, the game does have problems with balance, cus skills and perks are affecting damage which is wrong(Fallout style doesn’t work for KC:D, so it’s not good idea by WH to make perks, that are affecting damage and stuff), but it can be easily fixed by editing rpg_param and melee_weapon XMLs by weapon’s ID.
kek

5 Likes