The last Kickstarter update

After having read the latest Kickstarter update, I’m sitting here with an odd feeling. I usually sit here grinning like a child, after these updates, as I am SO looking forward to this game.

But the last update felt more like it was laying the groundwork for future announcements that will go in the direction of a watered down version of the game.

It was one long “whine” about how difficult it all has become and how ideas have to be ignored for the game, as they are already behind schedule etc. etc.

I know a bunch of people will attack me for this post, even though I am, in no way, attacking the developers here. I’m just worried and want to state that fact.

Have you, the DEVS, promised more than you can deliver?

Will the game be a watered down version of what was first intended?

I sure hope not, as this game has the, in my eyes, potential, to be the ultimate free roam RPG.

1 Like

I think this state of things is perfectly normal in game/sw development. There are always new ideas, features, but time and resources are not infinite so boundaries must be set. Dan is just honest about it and writing about it. It may sounded a much more pessimistic than it is in the reality. And for someone maybe a bit confusing too.

You have odd feelings because you are (we all are) used to the PR bullsh*t presented again and again by all other comapnies. I’m pretty sure these are issues that all developers experience at some level, the only difference is that Warhorse is honest about it. Expecting that everything goes exactly as planned would be really naive. Afterall, they went on kickstarter right because their plan didn’t work…

4 Likes

Personally I found it a great mix of amusing and informative.

/regularly juggling 7-14 projects…

@Freix & @Dekssan have the right of it. I don’t take Dan’s blog to indicate that planned features are being cut for watered down game. I believe they are just looking at the calendar and assessing the tall job ahead of them. They’re ramping up staff, moving into a bigger office, and sifting through new ideas from new people. In fact, all this growth is good!

Feeling overwhelmed is probably normal for any game developer at this stage.

I’m not really worried at this point. They’re going through the growing pains of bringing new people on board (doubling staff) and many of those people wanting to bring their own ideas into the mix. There’s bound to be a feeling-out process as people get used to each other, and the push/pull of developers/programmers/designers doesn’t sound like it’s anything out of the ordinary to me.

What makes me feel better about it is the awareness that they have to be careful not to let too much “creep” set in, because that’s definitely going to slow down a project. I’d rather see the honesty around it than a bunch of rah-rah stuff.

This game will be awesome no doubt. They have the ability to create something truly amazing. The last update was, to me, more of a heads up that they are aware that they are under a time crunch. They have a lot to do and would like to put a lot more cool stuff. For instance, the ability to run the Inn. However they are trying to narrow down what they should and should not do in the time crunch. The game will be power packed even if they do not put “Everything” they could in the game. Don’t forget they have Two More ACTS!!!

I actually think it was great to know that they actively fight the risk of feature creep and don’t try to do more than they can manage.

After having digested it all, I agree with you guys. Guess I’m just used the the usual PR BS, and didn’t appreciate the candor of the update.

I’m, as stated earlier, 100% behind this game. I just got a tad worried for a bit. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, guys.

what do you mean watered down? i see you spamming that line as fact in other parts of the forum as well. give me an example of kcd watering things down.

Excuse me?

I have 2 posts to my name (3 with this one), and all are in this thread, so please point me to where I am SPAMMING that line elsewhere here.

I have a feeling he’s talking about MJJ.

i think threads were merged

No, Dan talked about the possiblity that the development time could very likely become longer than expected what happened to almost every other big kickstarter project as well so far. So you should be worried about the ETA of the game (if that’s important for you) but not so much about the features they promised. Dan clearly stated that he will fight against feature creep in order to maintain the stuff they already promised. :wink:

Right now we are in a situation where we have most of the stuff written, recruited the people and now we’ll see whether we can get the written stuff implemented as fast as we thought we could. And if we don’t get it done fast enough, we’d have to simplify or move to the next act, and you probably wouldn’t like it…

That’s the big drawback with presenting a project too soon.

Thats where I started worrying, when I read it the first time.

Yeah, but I think the context is important. After that he explained that they possibly couldn’t deliver on the timeframe and presented examples of other kickstarter games which were postponed.

To me that means that he rather postpones the ETA than simplifying anything or moving to the next act. :wink:

Of the two options, I’d rather the game take a little longer to come out instead of having to sacrifice any core components or leave them incomplete.

1 Like

@Flashfire - Where have I said anything about the game being watered down? I certainly am not spamming the forums claiming such.

I misread part of what you wrote above. It was deirae, and it does look like a couple different threads were probably merged which led to a little confusion.