The point of a shield?

For my 2nd run I wanted to stick to short sword + shield instead of the longsword (and use a mace in addition)
But the only difference I can see is that my enemies are out of reach in mid-combo.
I mean yes, arming swords are obviously inferior to long swords when used as single weapon, but the one-handed sword has the advantage of shields, but…what’s the point?
Why should I use a shield? A can parry with the long sword as well…

To me, rabbit jabbing is the point of short sword shield combo (killed Runt w one jab w Stinger in HC). The shield is just to stop from getting wrecked while you approach

1. Shields have higher defense ratings than most weapons for purposes of melee combat. Only the best longswords are comparable to the midrange shield defense-wise. Before you level up your defense stat you’d better use a shield for melee combat.

2. Axes and maces (along with some one handed swords) have a negligible defense stat, you could technically use them to block attacks, but you probably will fail to do so.

3. Shields will take on the majority of punishment during a duel allowing you to save your weapon. Even in the 90-100% durability range weapon degradation has visible effect of dealt damage.

4. You will often encounter a mix of melee and ranged opponents, you can’t deflect arrows unless you have a shield.

5. There’s a perk “stronghold” allowing you to block with a shield for a low stamina cost.

You should have at least one longsword and torch to fight at night (longswords are the only weapons with a good defense stat) a shield (in case you fight archers) and possibly a one handed weapons (swords are not the best against heavy plate armor and you can’t do combos with longsword and shield).