The role of the church

Im not trying to show you anything.

Religion is problematic

A few thousand years worth of history is proof enough.

People have done horrible things for food, land, sex, fame, fortune, art, science, political ideology - you name it, and I can show you people doing terrible things for it. Its hardly fair to single out religion as being especially “problematic” when people have found ways of rationalizing all sorts of terrible deeds in the name of any cause they set their mind to.

3 Likes

Maybe i am wrong as far as the inclusion of religion could cause Warhorse grief down the road.

you cited the church being mad over a videogame being a problem. you fail to show what the problem is.

free publicity is a good thing.

also, you assume that the church, any church, would get mad over historical, researched representation.

Free publicity is a good thing, but how about the money spent for the lawyers to fight taking the church out of the game (going back to the resistance fall of man article)

This man is right, and all others are blinded.

You do realize that one of the biggest gaming franchises at the moment happens to be Assassins Creed, right? That series which has the player punch the Pope out in a fistfight in the Sistine Chapel? Do you see Ubisoft expending a vast fortune to hire lawyers to protect them from “the church”? Thought not. I really don’t see what you’re so worried about.

It should be great to talk to random traveling strangers, maybe in group or 2 or 3 even more searching for book knowledge, it could be a nice excuse for them to have different thoughs and philosophy like we see in “the name of the rose”.

Even if it’s just a movie, I find the idea of crossing the path of sub-interpretation of the same branch of a Churh interesting.

2 Likes

You are correct. In fact, there were two court systems: the king’s court and the Papal court. The Church did not have the power to kill a subject of the King. Also, the Papal court was more merciful in its sentences. This is why thieves would learn Latin phrases to appeal to a papal court. Also, ordeals occurred in the secular judicial system because it was condemn by the Catholic Church. Eventually, the king’s court would begin mimicking the Papal court because it is better to be ruled by law then the whims of a judge.

2 Likes

I hope it will show both the good and the bad.
If I had to decide how to do it, I think I would show the organization as a good thing but have specific characters who are not that good. (so its the specific NPC who is the problem)

But The small part of the game we got a look at in the livestreem gives an idea…

1 Like

I expect to see some witches burn. Because in some areas this was very very common, sadly

No, they weren’t. We’ve been over this before in other threads.

Yes, but if she weights the same as a duck… then… she’s a witch ! BUUUURRRRRNNNNN !

2 Likes

Yes my bad. I forgot this happened mostly later then the period of this game. I stand corrected

What about the selling of indulgences? Was that a topic at that time? Maybe you could pay the church to forgive the sins yout did the past week?

The catholic church was a MAJOR factor in the Old World.
Whether or not church plays important role in-game is up to Warhorse, but IMHO there must be church related quest and church related consequences for player actions. Getting excommunicated from the church in 14th-15th century was almost like a death sentence.

Tell me what floats?

1 Like

[quote=“ThomasAagaard, post:50, topic:9076”]
If I had to decide how to do it, I think I would show the organization as a good thing but have specific characters who are not that good.[/quote]
I think it will be the opposite, because the answer on this question:

is “yes” (AFAIK)
And by the way:

• While we dont have burning witches, we have burning people who dont like the “organization”
  • I think the role of the church will be really really big in the game …

I certainly hope so, the church still plays an active role in our cultures, and especially back then. During the Medieval age the church was one of the few lights in the great darkness that fell over Europe, and was a center for learning, science, and medicine. Both the Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church played big parts in the development of European culture and the saving of Classical culture.

1 Like

It could be cool if you could get missions from the Inquisition and be recruited as a sort of non-offical Inquisitor. For instance, generic secret heretical cult wants to murder a bishop or something. Investigate it, find out who the high ranking members are, and then tell the Inquisition so they can go fuck their shit up. Bonus reward if you just kill them yourself.