"There's a conflict between controls"

Being a leftie who uses the arrow keys and the surrounding keys for most games, I’m trying to bind the Delete key on my keyboard to the ‘‘Use’’ function in the game, but for some reason the game won’t let me do it - when I bind it the key shows up as red. The Delete key is not bound to anything else or even used for anything else in the game as far as I know by looking at the controls tab, and it lets me bind the other keys around it (Insert, Home, End, Page Up, Page Down) just fine.

It’s a clean install without any mods or DLC installed.

Does anyone know why this is happening and if there’s a fix or a workaround?

From memory some keys can’t be used. I wanted Backspace as the use key. I changed it to Enter. You can try a keyboard remapper, but I didn’t have a lot of success with those. As for why, possibly when writing names of saved games, it would interfere.

It’s really unfortunate that such a small thing is able to ruin the whole experience. I’ve been playing with these binds since 1996 and they’re engraved in my brain, for comparison it’s like making the E key unusable for a right handed person.

Thanks for the info nonetheless, perhaps I should just bite the bullet and give it go with a controller instead.