Things I really like about KCD

So I’ve been pretty pissed-off (and vocally so) with the state of the game (PS4) upon release, and ditched my first playthrough entirely. I wanted to balance things though, by just listing a few things I’ve really appreciated since picking it up again, now that it’s thankfully, much more stable.

Sound: Playing with headset on just because the ambient sounds are so immersive. Sitting beside a stream and hearing water, the wildlife, rain on the roof when in buildings; it’s really good.

Getting smashed: Have so far been pissed-up and creating mayhem with the Priest at Uzhitz and young Hans Capon (love how the story of that relationship is being told) and have literally laughed my ass off at the ensuing cutscenes and dialog. Brilliant.

Difficulty / Progression: I think it’s an excellent touch that Henry’s absolutely biff at literally fucking everything at the beginning of the game. It makes you appreciate progression so much more. Really noticed this with archery.

Day & Night Cycle: I love that it actually gets properly fucking dark at night! (And the wildlife noises change accordingly) Really nice touch. How many games dumb this down, just so the player can still do whatever they like at “night”? It’s refreshing to feel the sense of urgency in finishing what you’re doing while you still have daylight, and once again adds to immersion.

Sleep, nourishment, buffs and debuffs: How boring was Fallout 4 until Survival Mode got patched-in? Great to see a game build a meaningful structure around the basic human needs of the character, by default; forcing them to think about food, sleep etc.

More as it occurs to me… :blush:

5 Likes

I play on the PC,

However it’s nice to see console users get the most out of the game as well. Atm, this game is running pretty good. Despite the bugs upon release. I’d love to see the developers and team of this game get more positive feedback. To continue on with making great entertaining content such as this.

4 Likes

1 of the things I love is the storms…I mean it go into game stand in a field and just watch and listen to 1 at night. You see the lighting…start counting.1…2…3…boooom there’s the thunder. So many games will have lighting and thunder at the same time and as the storm continues in kcd it really does either get closer or further away! Fantastic

4 Likes

And something else I never thought I’d find myself saying:

Alchemy: I really like how involved this is. I like that it takes a while, and that you have to a) be able to read and b) follow the recipes closely. Again, it makes the game more immersive, rather than just smashing a couple of inventory items together instantly. Shit, I even like mincing off into the countryside to pick flowers and herbs :joy: It gives me an excuse to wander around and appreciate the gameworld.

1 Like

It really is a great game. I spend hours playing, most games only hold my attention for an hour or less.

GOTY for sure. There’s been literally no other good games this year.

1 Like

Irrelevant if other games are good (i hope they are); Id like to see this shape up in the next half year to be an easy winner.
Definately a candidate.
They have so much to reimplement that the longevity of this title is assured. (If not from mods).

Even pre DLC… the base game world is amazing. It does all need some polish- but Id put coin down on betting they do grow this world…

The architecture and the geography is incredible.

Dont deny studios spend A LOT of time on this stuff.
I read that far cry primal reused far cry 4’s terrain (logical)… i didnt play enoigh fc4 to compare - but it would save a huge development cost.

The naturalness of Bohemia here rendered is phenominal.

I get silly childish grins every time I go for a virtual tour (daily).

2 Likes

Never heard of Irrelevant. Is it good?