Third person would be great for Kingdom Come!

Hi ! I’ m an old fan of Kingdom Come,and I’ ve followed since the very first days of development! A big greeting to Dan Vavra and all the other amazing developers there:) ! This is however my first time in the game forums and I would like to ask this:why not create also a third person mode for the game? It could be really great for many fans to see the character. I would really like it. I don ’ t know if this is in contrast with the devs ’ ideas,but maybe… I would hope so,because I believe this game will be revolutionary,first for his real medieval combat system,which I’ ve never seen before in any other game!

3 Likes

Hi Albus961,

Regarding 3rd person veiw. It was discussed and it seems that creating it would be pretty easy. Because devs use a crude version of 3d person camera to “debug” models and overall graphics anyway.

But the reason why we won’t have 3rd person view is that the game was presented as:

A first-person, open world, realistic RPG that will take you to Medieval Europe…etc

soruce kickstarter

It si quite obvious that implementing 3rd person veiw would not go along the presentation.
When Warhorse asked fans they learned that some part of fan base definitely wanted 3rd person veiw but the other part definitely did not wanted it.
So there was no way how to please everyone or even majority, as fanbase was divided almost 50/50 on this.

Decision was made to continue with wat was promised.

But do not lost all hope, game will suppot modding so the 3rd person view will come soon after release.
And who knows maybe the second Act will have it implemented from the start.

I understand,@ProkyBambora! Devs have done the right thing being loyal to the original presentation! I don 't trust mods so much,I prefer elements created by developers! However,I would hope this great game can have third person implented from the beginning in the second act! Thank you so much,Proky!:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

This question is already discussed in poll-what-should-be-our-next-stretch-goal-what-about-3rd-person-camera.

Well I disagree. Results of the poll are :

30% Yes, Do It !
19% No, Don’t !
39% I am OK with 3rd person view but I’ll play 1st view
9% I don’t care, give me the choice

So only 19% are against. 30% are pro 3rd person view. 39% say they will play in 1st view but they don’t mind 3rd person view. And finally 9% wants to have the choice and will decide later what they prefer more.

So it’s not 50/50. Only 19% against that idea (witch personally, I don’t understand. It’s like saying “don’t take chocolate ice cream out of the fridge, I only like vanilla flavoured one. How dare you bring that damn chocolate cream out of the fridge ? Since I don’t like it you can’t have some.”)

4 Likes

You can.

Though my source was what Dan Vávra said about this matter in some interview… if only I could find it.

1 Like

Yes, let’s find your source to be clear on that point, I may have missed some recent infos.

well it was not recent…

Eitherway it does not matter, thing is that 3rd person camera wont be in in the game.
Obviously in the poll it is 19% vs 30% … so even if Vávra said that he did not had numbers in his had… my bad for repeating this.

I have no time for searching, though, as I am just leaving for holiday…

It is possible, as this poll offers 4 possible answers that I didn’t clearly understood the results and implication of each possible answer. Maybe @TobiTobsen can enlighten us about the 3rd person view ?

And good holidays :wink:

I think it will be in the final game. And I second the comment that I don’t want it modded in. I want the developers vision/implementation of it.

No problem guys! I just hope the other mode will be in the final game,because I think Kingdom Come deservs this option :slight_smile:

There is a new video update that came out a few days ago, talking more about combat. The entire video is AWESOME, and there is a bit of an explanation behind their First-Person only reasoning at 4:12.

EDIT: By “a bit” I mean “about two sentences”… don’t expect to be 100% satisfied… :wink:

At the time Vavra said about 50/50 it was more unclear. More voters in percent at “No, Don´t” (above 20%) and less on site of “Yes, Do it!” (below 30%)
You can not say really about the others, are they more yes or no?
“I am OK with 3rd person view but I’ll play 1st view” Is it a yes or a no? Same on “I don’t care, give me the choice”.
Both answers does not mean “build in 3rd view”, but something in between yes or no. Its not easy to say in total how many people really want 3rd person view.

That is no 3rd person view then.

I think WH will integrate it only for all scene and actions outside of combat!
Most people, myself too, are against a combat system in 3rd person view.
For me, it is the simple reason of lost aim system.
I’m not the best person but after many games like Rose and Chivalry
…we are tired of the regular systems.

1 Like

Personally,I think a good third person view could never be replaced by a first person view,though the must realistic of all,of course.So why not satisfy the fans of this promising realistic RPG,if not now,in the future ?:slight_smile:

Actually, there are two things closely connected (in that video as well): 1st person view and realistic fighting.
Both are not the reason why I started following KC:D on blog long before the kickstarter, in late 2011 if I remember that correctly (realism, history, open world, moddability were, though). For me 1st person view mean worse experience or how to say it - I’m getting sick rather easily by it. Like being locked in a box - and not an open-world game.

The alpha’s on steam though, and so should be the final release, so adding a 3rd view should be quick and easy, especially if modders will be given instruments even before that.

I agree with you,@Gryphonheart! Of course everyone has his own opinion,but for me,althought my favourites are high-fantasy RPGs, I’ m however really interested by this game,so,if they want to mantain first person,why not also satisfy fans of third person? As @Gryphonheart was saying,I also think a RolePlaying Game could not be fully enjoyed in first person,not only with it,at least .

1 Like

I just think it’s hilarious that people claim first person is somehow more immersive. There’s no peripheral vision. It’s not MORE immersive. First Person and Third Person views can’t replicate the immersion that living in real life, in a real body, looking through your own real eyes has. It’s such a dumb argument. First and third person should BOTH exist, so the gamer can choose which one they want to use, or , like me, can switch between the views depending on the situation.

The immersion factor comes in a realistic world, realistic AI, engaging story. Being able to manipulate objects in your environment, being able to impact the world. Stepping in a puddle and seeing it splash and ripple. Walking through the forest and seeing the tree branches move/bend out of the way, the sound effect of the branch moving, etc. When you hear a bird chirping, if you take the time, you can find it in the nearby tree. When you hit someone with a weapon, depending on the weapon, depending on the armor you’re hitting, you get unique and different sound effects. etc. etc.

The hate for third person is the most ridiculous thing on this forum.

4 Likes

It’d only be more immersive for those rocking some VR tech. In that instance I fully understand and appreciate the necessity of a first person viewpoint.

However for the majority of us relying on traditional display/s in varying sizes, I have to agree with you @Pengman19; FPV when you’re staring at a monitor is for me no more engaging or immersive than TPV. And my preference in most cases is in fact to have that third person perspective for greater peripheral visibility and IMO better control of the protagonist within the game world.

At the very least the capability to be able to switch view points from First to Third and vice versa is something that appeals to me. When you score yourself some new armour and wanna marvel at yourself in all your steely glory, what better way than to switch over to TPV and pan around. :confused:

1 Like

Well regardless if the devs add it or not, those of us on the PC will get it. :sunglasses:

2 Likes