Thoughts on KCD2

true that… the things i would have to add are more of a wishlist.

what i am looking forward to would be an improved continuation across the board - not redesign but refinement:

(Story & world: )
I am extremely happy where the story is and could potentially go. Also the time period is pretty interesting if you look at the variety of weapons used (first use of cannons), and the countries / factions involved. Where things could go as far as Sigismund and the HRE is concerned would offer a lot of interesting viewpoints just like an inclusion of the romani people would. Also dancing plague. Overall very interesting topics few people know about.
I also think that a different or secondary POV-character like in ‘a womens lot’ was was a big success and could further enrich the story to come if expanded upon. Also a tiny bit more player agency.

(Combat: )
I think the fighting systems are still a bit unrefined. It could certainly do with a bit more creative perks and combos. That there is no shield bash, kick or pommel hit separatly available besides ‘clinching’ to manage multiple opponents better is something easily fixed i think.
Also there are some lessons to be learned from For Honor and Mordhau.

(Stealth: )
I think there is a big contrast, that some actions and activities have a ‘failure state’ and others dont. That makes some playstyles clearly superiour to others - as there is [MOSTLY* (edit2)] little or no chance to fail. Would help immersion to adjust some activities with a bit more … risk (and thus reward).

(Misc. or random thoughts… )

• A bit more clutter like spice boxes, valuable materials like ore and so on. I think this is something to be learned from Skyrim… clutter helps immersion. Not everything has to be useful.

• While i thought the food spoilage was a bit strict, it turned out to me a minor inconveniece, that seems in the end a bit … arbitrary (dried food doesnt spoil, normal food spoils too quick & picked herbs dont spoil at all = wtf). Too much too readily available via hunting when henry has realistically no knowledge how to disembowl sth correctly.

• On the subject of items… maybe make wearable (high quality) armor a bit more scarce… excuses are readily available after all… like not every piece of armor has to fit, availablility of armor in general and so on. Being fully decked out could have been more of a struggle imo.

• Also a bit of lack concerning the more ‘common problems’-themes of that time (health and medicine, taxes, social norms) that have a lasting impact (edit: i am aware they are there, it just doesnt feels too impactful). A bit more light on the ‘dishonorable’ or ‘unclean’ trades and the impact or social stigma associated with it (reality was far darker after all). Also more of the divides between the cast out, the common folk, the wealthy and nobility. Maybe use that for meaningful quest / story twists (e.g. ‘i cant pay you’).

• How some plants found their way into the game (valerian … the root only) and how others didnt (sambucus and other ‘holy trees’) - and maybe a bit more freedom for alchemy. Not everything needs 3-4 ingredients. Also spices as ingredients - as spice trade could have been a thing.

Unlimited save system is my number 1 request and priority.

Maybe an inprovement in fighting…like, with a longsword you can switch to half-sword mode (or integrate proper half-sword techniques, I know there is one with the short sword, but meh).
Oh yes and…Mordhau…

1 Like

All thumbs up on half-swording - really missed feature in kcd.

1 Like