Three BIG issues with the game as it is now, from my point of view

To begin, what follows is just my own opinion so please take it as it is. I really love the setting, the graphics, the details of the world… but… I see untapped greatness in Kingdom Come, a flawed gem of the game, and here’s why:

First, currently there’s absolutely ZERO reason to save money for the fancy armor. Or earn money by playing dice, completing errands etc. Because if you go along some road eventually you’ll bump into a big massacre between cumans and bandits, after which you’ll just loot bodies for plate armors worth thousands of Groshen. The developers created a vibrant, believable world, only to kill it with these weird design decisions.

Second, and it is related to first, the highwaymen are wearing top notch milanese/german plate armor. Not lords, not nobility, just brigands who make a living robbing travelers. What?

And third, the spawn points are so blatantly static. There are always travelers along the same spots, the battles between bandits/guards/traders/cumans are always happening at the same spots. So awful. Skyrim with mods did it way better. Far Cry did random patrols way better, Stalker: Call of Prypiat did this 1000% times better, and these games are ancient.

I really like the game, but it could’ve been SO much better, if the developers hadn’t crippled the gameplay, the balance, the economy, the feeling of progression, everything that’s good about RPG games, by the above design decisions. Right now it’s more like paper-thin decoration rather than a fully believable world.

I understand the enormous effort that it takes to create a game of such scope for what is essentially a small studio, but I still encourage the developers to give modders more ways and tools to mod the game, this way the above issues would be fixed by the community.
Thank you for your attention, rant over.

5 Likes

#1 - agree. loot harvesting high value NPCs eliminate any critical investment decisions. unfortunate.

#2 - not sure i agree based on feedback of others. some here say high quality armor was fairly easy to acquire (wasn’t in limited supply. ) wish that with professional bandits /Cuman the focus were more on high quality technique and less on equipment

#3 - agree. roaming enemy NPCs would add a lot to the game. wish there were village attacks besides just those wandering the back roads

2 Likes

Can I add that a reposte is counted as a master strike, yet farmers on random events just happen to be able to do them. Makes no sense. Maybe 1 can, but surely not most. This is the same for bandits. If a blacksmith’s boy can’t then neither can some farmhand.

2 Likes

yeah it irritates me that a peasant with a cleaver and wearing basic clothes can master strike maxed out Henry

1 Like

Thank you, I’m glad I’m not the only one. I actually think there’s an easy way of fixing “loot high-value npc” balance. If we imagine plate armor that’s been slightly dented, it’s still quite possible to repair with a bit of smithing. But if it is crumpled by mace blows, pierced by spears etc, I think in middle ages it would’ve cost as much to repair as forging a new one. So the easy way would be to either add a progressive increase of repair costs with the condition drop (i.e. repairing a 50% armor would cost more than buying a new one, that would cover 90% of looted armors), or implement a higher repair threshold (for example, any plate/chain mail with condition lower than 70% won’t be repairable). I also wish they’d remove swords and armor from easily accessible treasure maps or remove treasure maps entirely. My god, it’s not pirates of the carribean. Another thought on balance - as it is, things like flemish cloth (which was seemingly worth a lot in middle ages) are selling for a mere pittance, while battered armors can be sold for a fortune. I think this should be changed as well, so that you could sell cloth, jewelry and other valuable items (including new armors) for good money, but damaged, worthless weapons and armor should be worth very little, or be not sellable at all.

2 Likes

I agree with you about the economy, but modders have already made it fixable. Or you can do it yourself by going into the game files and changing a few parameters. It’s pretty simple really. For instance if you go into the KCD directory and go into the data folder and find tables.pak you can open it with 7zip. Inside that you will find a folder called Libs… Inside that you will find pretty much every parameter in the game. But specifically rpg_param.xml would be the one to look for. You can change almost everything in the game to just the way you want it and save the file and that’s it. You can change it to where vendors pay you a quarter of what they would normally pay you for equipment. You can make enemies more aggressive. You can make your stamina regen slower, and etc.

Here are instructions… https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6409661-tutorial-tweaking-rpg-parameters

@CheekySparrow ATM the formule for repair seems to be an Y = aX formule. Meaning every percentage of brokenness adds the same repair costs. This means you get a straight line. What would be better is an aX^2 formule. So you get a curved line. More broken means more relative costs.
It is definitely too easy to get high gear. It is very easy to just take someone down and stela their stuff. Even in the pre-log in Talmberg you can do it. Before you enter Rattay you already have a good amount of high class armor. Seems a little rediculous to me.

before the dlc came out , i also thought id have to defend pribislavitz from attacking bandits or a raid of some sort…but nope.

Exactly my thoughts, the repair cost should increase using some sort of Geometric progression, a curve. So should the selling prices decrease for damaged items. I really don’t enjoy making money by hauling a ton of armors and distributing them among merchants with any amount of money left.

You shouldn’t be wasting money on repairs anyway… buy some maintenance kits and start repairing everything y0u can. Your skill will rise fast, it has some good perks, for instance there is one where you have 20% more stamina if you are wearing shoes you repaired yourself. Also, you will make more money when you sell items.

Repair kids work with the same formule. Only difference is the agent. Not the principal.

Which magazines did you get when you purchased the game? I didn’t get shit.

I realize that. That’s why I am saying why would you pay someone to repair something when you can buy a repair kit and do it yourself and level your skill?

The economy is completely messed up in the vanilla game. That is why I mentioned editing the files earlier, or downloading some type of difficulty mod to do it for you. For instance, using the URO mod renting a room permanently cost something like 6k. A sword a vendor would normal give you 1k for they will give you like 100 for…

thanks Matt but I would like to make game harder, and making more money won’t quite get me there. I’m well aware of the maintenance kits and I’m using them ( never bought one, except cobblers (he he), since they can be found in abundance on corpses as well. Another balance issue, IMO). I’m using blacksmiths since kits won’t currently repair items with condition below certain threshold, which I like. However I know that as I raise my maintenance skills I’ll become more powerful. Which is the opposite of my intent - I want the game to be challenging and immersive, without the tedious routine of selling dozens of armors to get rich fast, or the ability to repair any armor I find. Or finding top-tier plate armors before I even got the chance to try brigandine. The game has such abundance of equipment yet any rational player would wear at most 2 armors before finding plate, which immediately makes you super-strong and eliminates any incentive to save money.

I understand completely. The vanilla game is way too easy. Check out my post above… you can edit tons of things to make the game more difficult. The Ultimate Realism Overhaul mod was amazing but unfortunately he stopped updating it and i’m not sure if it even still works now.

yes, thanks for the link and description, I’ll try modding it to achieve brutally medieval balance, no more selling heaps of junk from those cumans. The damage has already been done though, I’m not sure how I can force myself to part with that noble cuirass now :smile:

It is the job of the delevoper to fix the game. The developer gets the money rewards. I don’t care about a tiny amount of mods and I cannot do file stuf. It is redicilous that instead of them fixing and improving, I must do so. I get your good intention. I am just a bit fed up with WH since the last garbage sales they dare call “10 hour DLC’s”. If I had the money, I’d probably check a laywer to see if I can get them to court, forcing them to make it 10 hours instead of 2.

2 Likes

That would be a partial fix. The larger problem is excess supply. All the villagers in our portion of Bohemia aren’t enough to absorb the hundreds if not thousands of full sets of harvested armor and weapons. Traders don’t have an inventory limit even though their shops are small as heck. Etc

That was another good thing about the URO mod. He adjusted it to when vendors ran out of money it didn’t just magically reappear the next day but like a week or two later.

This shouldn’t be a mod. It should be core game economy/trading… at least in hardcore as @Whitedragem and others have said