Tournament mode - horses?!

I cannot help it, but recently i have lot of horses on my mind (the fragrance of fresh manure is still hanging around here somewhere)!

So i was thinking - the description of the “tournament mode” stretch goal is a bit too general, but it seems that it would include only Man VS (digital)Man combat?

But no horse riding - whether just horse track race or combat on horses (teams, deathmatch - basically many vs many) or horse duel?
Of course where possible with multiple participants (how many horses are in “Velka Pardubicka” race?) and in single or multiplayer mode (although i remember that the multiplayer was generally dismissed for this game)?!

And maybe the player could have its own stable in which the horse champions would be “garaged” and of course “pimped”(new black horseshoes => speed+5, fresh hay => vitality+4, periodical massages/brushing by the stable maid => attractiveness+10, etc. )!

I still remember the driving mission from Mafia, so maybe something similar could be developed (but hopefully without the need to drive the horses with some special game “reins” controller…)?

1 Like

[quote=Warhorse]1.500.000$ Tournament Mode - ACHIEVED
We are proud of the innovative combat in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. While our title is primarily a story-based game, the combat mechanics are very deep for those that are interested in seriously honing their skills. If we reach this stretch goal, we shall add a special Tournament mode, where you can don any equipment you like, choose your opponent or opponents and enter a medieval tournament and try to win by authentic rules.[/quote]

I thought horses have played an important role in medieval tournaments. So I wish we can see them in this tournament mode. You’re right theres nothing said about multiplayer. I think I misread the announcement. I thought you would be able to fight against your friends/online players. That would really need skill. You could choose an opponent thats around your skill level and fight. Much more fun than fighting against “dumb” AI.

I like the Idea of a Horse Race. Maybe with attacking allowed so you can shoot the one in front of you with your bow. Of course this should be pretty hard. And your horse could be able to run very fast like turbo enabled but only for a short period of time so you have to be careful when to use it.
The own stable would be too much imho.

And by the way. I think a tournament could be included into the story so its nothing that doesnt match. You can create a story based game but maybe some king could start a tournament, maybe in the end when peace is restored. But I dont mind if its in the story or not as long as there is a tournament mode.
I had much fun in the tournaments of Mount&Blade so I think this would add a lot to the game! And I think Warhorse will do a lot better compared to M&B

but now I’m confused if you play against AI or real persons?!

the ai in this game will probably be smarter than your friend.

this is a realism game, so that sounds pretty ridiculous.

are you serious?
The AI wont be smarter than real persons…
And its not ridiculous at all cause animals (humans included) can run faster than normal for a short period of time.
It’ll just cost a lot of stamina thats why you have to think first when to use it

213 probably disagrees with your “turbo” terminology, if you would call it “gallop” then it would be fine :wink:

Does a tourney where people shoot at each other with arrows from horseback sound anywhere close to real life to you?

yes
otherwise the race mode proposed by @David would not be too much fun.
And why should a good horserider not be able to shoot a bow from a horse?
Ever heard of Mongols?
those are just ideas and it was my idea for a “racing mode”.
I think the focus should lie on the normal tournament mode.
why dont you post something productive @Flashfire @213 if you have better ideas
If we have to think first if every detail (of an idea) is realistic Its no fun anymore sorry.
And I think my Ideas have been realistic like I stated

A game is supposed to be fun.

OK - what about shooting at some target? Or just with blunt tips?

Racing 10x times around some track might be fun, but shooting ( no matter at what) might elevate it even further!

Or jumping through some burning obstacles and then the horse could get nervous and knock you down from the saddle

1 Like

I’m with flash re this - shooting from horse might be ok during a battle, but shooting sharp arrows at your fellow competitors during some race would be probably “unethical” :wink:

well it was my idea to make the race mode more interesting
and when its hard to shoot and hit the opponent in gallop like I said it might be much fun.
He doesnt have to be dead immediately maybe just wounded and not able to steer the horse too good anymore.

Just running behind an opponent would be pretty lame, only if the race would be not in a arena but in a nice terrain with obstacles and such you could have the chance to catch up on your opponent. That would be another Idea.

2 Likes

Racing mode would be probably easier to implement (?), you wouldn’t have to invent so much new stuff ( X horses running around in “circles”) in comparison to “joust” functionality - all the armor, lances, crashing etc. ?

yeah I think it was a good Idea with the racing mode.
The Horse is pretty important in the game so why not. Could be much fun :smile:
If you dont even have to build a whole new arena for it but make a “race track” with wild terrain through rivers maybe and jumping over obstacles (and shooting with a bow)

I don’t need to have an idea of my own in order to comment on what doesn’t make sense for the game. I’m content with letting the developers work on it without a number of unrealistic ideas being thrown at them all the time. That’s not me being rude, just saying that it’s important to keep in mind the level of realism they’re trying to accomplish with this.

It’s the same reason I asked the original poster in another thread if he really thought it’d make sense for the character you’re playing, who we know some information about already, to be able to become king if he killed the existing one.

1 Like

And yeah, I think there may be a reason to consider some sort of target practice. It doesn’t necessarily have to be from horseback, though. Archers are more effective when they have time to line up a shot from the ground, or especially an advantageous position in the field - right? So build an archery mechanism for points based on how good the shot is, whether it’s at a target or as part of a hunt. The hunting element will already be in the main game.

A horse race itself could be more of a point-to-point thing. Something that might include variations on the steeplechase may work but I don’t know if it’d be thematic for that far in the past. I noticed this, though it’s more recent in comparison to when this game is set: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steeplechase#Czech_Republic

I still hope there will be some sort of jousting in the tourney mode, even if it’s only against AI opponents. I like how Rival Knights does it, on the surface. It’s a mobile device game that basically has a lot of cosmetic equipment that just has different point values, but apart from having your armor compared to an opponent’s, not to mention horse and lance scores, you still get to try to time things with the horse for the fastest speed along with trying to center the tip of the lance on the part of the body it sets for you to hit.

Anything like melee combat would likely be done with blunted weapons if it’s a tourney. Riding at rings could also be possible.

I just don’t get the impression the point of tournaments was to maim other people. That’s not very useful, in the medieval periods, to keeping knights fit for battle. I always saw it as more for show and entertainment.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

why do I even take the effort and try to explain what I mean…
the thing you call “turbo mode like some mario kart” is called gallop
and why are you getting offensive? I dont think this idea is "stupid"
And what is wrong about posting Ideas?!
You didnt even wrote something concerning this topic on here, only bashing the ideas of other people.

Please think about it, and please take the effort to read my posts at least even If you dont understand them or have another opinion. This Forum is a nice place and it should stay this way.

1 Like

one can only hope, but not take for granted(!), some kindness and civility in these forums :wink:

but do not despair - “Truth and love will always overcome lies and hatred”!

well - actually i could imagine some pixelated 8-bit/arcade style horse racing (something in following style http://goo.gl/fpf54l )!

it could be nice easter eggs (e.g. the retro levels in the new installments of wolfie?) - game from medieval era would include inner-game from gaming medieval age!

it could be even more fun than those almost-realistic depictions - throwing miniature apples and other obstacles mario style items at each other!

not everything has to be dead-serious/uber-realistic…

Hmmm i like your idea of the easter egg. I would want one where there is a guy in the audience holding (or throwing) an apple and u can lance it on your way towards you opponent as a show of skill and probably and achievement (i would like it named “an apple a day”).