Unplayable FPS

I’ve bought the game two days ago, didn’t play much, because the performance is shockingly bad. I don’t have the most powerful system out there. I play on an FX 6300, 8 gigs of RAM DDR3 dual channel, a GTX 970 and 120 gigs SSD, but I could play any game with max details smoothly.

I didn’t expect to be able to play it maxed out on 60 fps, but I set every detail on LOW and in talberg I have below 20 fps in the courtyard, it’s just unplayable. I have the latest drivers installed, did the whole “-heapsize 1048576” since I’ve read the game doesn’t use the whole memory properly, it’s still unplayable.

KCD in its current state is definitely the worst optimized game I’ve ever played. GTA IV or Batman Arkham Knight weren’t as bad as this one, at least I could play those with max details and still had a decent FPS.

I really don’t know what to do, kind of regret buying it. I was aware of the bad performance, didn’t expect much, but not like this, below 30 fps on low.

P.S: Entered the game this morning and by some unknown reason I now I have 30+ fps on medium, even 40+ on the battlements. How can this be possible ? I haven’t done anything different. Weirdest thing I’ve seen in 20 years of gaming.

try to experiment a bit with the settings
low doesnt seem to be the best for performance somehow…
I have a GTX970 too, I play on medium at around 30fps
only in the cities like rattay it will drop, I think thats more a CPU issue though

1 Like

Game is very CPU heavy, CPU is the problem… Check the benchmarks but FX 6300 is probably even slower than AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940 - which is minimum required CPU. Game would be probably mainly optimized and tested on new intel cpus and AMD Ryzens line…

1 Like

Fun thing though… I realized I had played with 18-20 fps… and didn´t feel like it… Everything was smooth and responsive, apart from a few times.

Stop that. Problem solved.

3 Likes

Well thanks, that was really helpful, now I clearly know what’s wrong.

I had an AMD Phenom II X4 955 before FX 6300 and it was definitely slower.

I know the CPU is old, but I could play smoothly every game released in the past 5 years or so. The Witcher 3, Divinity Original Sin 2, all run great.

Anyway, the game seems to be working fine right now. Don’t know what was the problem. Now I get between 30-55 fps on medium details.

2 Likes

I’ve got a GTX 1060 with an i5 7400 and it’s has prettt bad frame rate issues for me in cities especially. Someone had mentioned to me that it’s a problem that came up after a recent patch and there should be a performance patch coming out soon.
I have everything set to low as well and it’s laggy with FPS problems, someone mentioned that low isn’t the least CPU intensive setting? If that’s true, what is? And what’s the ‘heapsize’ thing?

The heapsize is for the game to use your whole RAM. You place it in your launch options.

Your CPU is a huge bottleneck. Just because your system is subpar doesn’t mean that their game isn’t optimized. It’s optimized good for what it does.

Yeah that’s why people with GTX 1070 and i7 cpus are having problems running the game smoothly because it’s so well optimized.

Haven’t got any major problems running games in the past 5 years, even though my CPU is subpar.

Stop trying to play the latest games on your calculator

1 Like

<— i7 8700k 1070ti no problems with FPS bud. Sorry, it doesn’t cut it. My game works very well.

Another briliant constructive advice. I won’t touch any game released in the past 2 years because my “subpar calculator” “can’t” run games like Prey, Doom, Quake Champions, Wolfenstein 2, or The Witcher 3 on max details 60 fps.

If you have stuttering, freeze, low fps, or want better perf and amazing graphism, please try this PC mod :

This is a peculiar game. Some people get great performance while others don’t even with similar specs. I swear by the evergreen FX 8350 though if you want a powerful but cheap CPU.