Update Backer Client to E3 2017 Build?

So during E3 and during the live stream it was mentioned (and then streamed) that a stable (more then current beta) build was made to show press.

I fully understand that the team has decided to shift the focus of development to finalizing the game and I have supported this decision since day one of its certainty.

Now Im sure it is no simple task, however I don’t imagine it taking that much more off the 8 months time to update the client Beta to the E3 build.

It is a far better example in which to continue to sell the game to new backers (some already showing frustration because they thought they were getting the content they saw during E3).

I was very strongly considering a refund before the announcement of the live stream, and I am not fully convinced I will stick it out another 8 months.

This is not an attempt of guilt nor an ultimatum but rather the honest opinion of a community member who has been attentively apart of this community and project since 2014.

Would You Like to play the E3 Build?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not at the expense of further delays

0 voters

9 Likes

I haven’t heard any reason it would be hard for them to do. Saying it would be time consuming doesn’t convince me, how could it be complicated when the build already exists?

3 Likes

BTW this topic was inspired by this steam Users post.

1 Like

@McWonderBeast

Yes! Couldn’t agree with you more, as a backer since February 2014 myself.

1 Like

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido. (x100500)

1 Like

Not that I know what I am talking about, but It would not be trivial to merge those 2 completely separate builds together easily. In order to keep us both contents, they would have to publish that E3 build separately which would cost them extra money, no?..

Also, I don’t think that they could just share that E3 build with public as it is. Even though they have presented only the beginning of the game, It probably holds some data (like the rest of the map etc.) that we should not see quite yet and they would have to spend extra time cutting this stuff out… which would than introduce additional bugs and testing…

I am actually curious to try it out myself. But in the end, I am glad to be forced to wait for the final product and that they focus on that.

5 Likes

Why would they merge anything?

Why would putting it up to download cost them anything?

What you said about the E3 build is an assumption. I’d accept it if they said this themselves, but as long as they don’t it’s either not an issue, or they’re withholding a valid excuse. Neither of which makes me happy.

1 Like

Merging the builds seems illogical to me.

I have never published a game so I have no idea what terms steam has for its distribution, but it is a common practice for games on steam to have BETAS options available under the properties tab in steam. Many games in EA on steam are also indie devs who are purely crowdfunded so even if there’s a cost I would think it should be negligible enough.

This is the biggest foreseen issue I can think of, and the very reason I added the third option.

I was speculating they wouldn’t. Then I assumed that publishing that separate E3 version through Steam again would cost. OK, you could argue that for non-Kickstarter backers, they have started using some other distribution service, but anyway. Assuming they could just upload that E3 build somewhere and be done with it rather naive, I would think.

@DrFusselpulli have been telling us for over a year now, that we should not expect any more content as they need their full focus on releasing the game.
I am considering myself as a fan since Dan started WH blog many years ago. I know how waiting sucks. But still, expecting that Warhorse decision makers have to justify with “valid excuses”, because someone had an cool idea and though they should is absurd.

@McWonderBeast

I’m not sure if you would do a favor to play parts of the game right now. The game tells a story which is developed bit by piece and leads (probably in different ways) to a final.
Without problems such a thing would be common in M & B or simulations. The catch lies in the story.
Can obviously understand your impatience, but try to think about it in this light.

Guys, let’s wait until the release and enjoy the game. :slight_smile: The developers have enough problems, and their schedule is full. I do not think they have a free window in the quarter to do the job of building games for backers. :thinking: Just compress your thoughts about this into a fist and wait for the release. :smile:

2 Likes

The issue we have is that they don’t need to do any building, the E3 version already exists.

1 Like

Not if you can’t think of a reason that it would be implausible. Then you’re just assuming it can’t be done without any reason.

Putting “valid excuses” in quotes doesn’t make it sound ridiculous. It isn’t some ridiculous standard or unreasonable whatsoever. If something is impossible or implausible, take the single sentence you need to say why. In this case, why it is a build of the game that already exists can’t be given to backers. That standard isn’t something I’ll lower, sorry.

But, they need to delete some parts of this build for not spoiling the beginning of the game for everyone.

I did not mean it like that mate. I was only quoting your words because I did not really feel they would have to excuse anything since nothing was promised to us.
Maybe we could ask some developer from weekly torch about it.

I don’t see how it’s spoiling if you’re playing through it yourself.

1 Like

But E3 version was probably not intended to give somebody to play at home. It was played only for short time and under supervision. In such conditions nobody can extract assets, or get behind the fence or whatever. But if you let people download it freely, someone will immediatelly do it, and what you wanted to hide will be revealed. If something should be hidden under such conditions, you have to really remove it from game, and that takes time. Just imagine that you should go manually through all files on your HDD and decide what is no longer necessary. In game, you after that need to test everything to see if you did not remove anything crucial. Not an easy task.

1 Like

I can’t explain to you, what i want to say, but this build is for press and only for demonstration on E3. It’s not for playing at home.

As I’ve said already, if that is their reason I’ll accept it. I just want them to say it.

There you go than:

9 Likes