Wahhh! XYZ is too hard!

I had problems with lockpicking but by practicing i know am able to open 90% of the times with 1
lockpick…

Yes i had to try 15 times… but how nice was the sense of accomplishment when i finally got it.
I seriously wonder how much the complaining people really tried and practiced.

Ofcourse the lead developer is looking into it when so many people complain, doesnt mean he thinks its to hard so that’s a non argument.

3 Likes

When PC gamers agree with Console gamers on something, like they have with lockpicking and how it’s a thousand times harder on console…then there is merit to everyones complaints regarding consoles lockpicking.

certain skills don’t (and shouldn’t) be made easier but the training/apprenticeship/instruction for some could be improved upon.

perhaps for some, there’s a missing cutscene from the miller: Henry/Hal. with your parents passing, there is no easy path ahead for you. to make it in this world, you have to get better . to get better, you have to gain experience. i can help you with some skills but for others you have to develop them on your own. now, get that damn ring

I definitely agree. I made the same post a few days ago as well. We better take a stand before the impatient cod players protest and get the game changed into another skyrim lol

I play on PS4 and I find lockpicking not only fine (yes it was very hard at first, just like everything else, but it gets easier, it just takes more than 5 minutes), but I find it fun. I can now pick easy and very easy locks in a second by one continuous fluid motion of the left stick while holding the right stick relatively steady (adjusting slightly as the lock turns to keep the icon yellow).

As for elitist etc, my point in OP is that the game has been out for under three days, learning something takes time. If you play for a couple of hours and find it hard, maybe its because the game uses new systems from other games and you need to, you know, learn them? But people are already complaining to the devs and trying to get things changed! Give the game a chance!

The game was billed as being realistic and not roll-over-easy. If that’s not the kind of game for you, that’s perfectly fine, but almost every other game out there is designed to cater for you, can’t we have something too? The combat is hard because the mechanics take time to learn and longer to master, few games give you five directions to not only strike, but also block, dodge and feint, nevermind stabbing and kicking. That’s a deep and flexible system, but it takes time to learn. Until I did the training in Rattay, I didn’t have a clue either and failed basically all but the simplest fights, but the training showed me how to play. Now I can get by fine. I’m still not amazing, guys in heavy armour with shields or when I’m outnumbered I still struggle, but I’m getting better each hour I play. My point is, every activity you do in life takes some time to learn and some more time to master, why on earth would this game be any different, so please please please stop with the calls for the devs to make things easier! If you play an online FPS against real players, you’ll get killed quickly too, does that mean that game is too hard? No, it means you need to practice. If that’s not your cup of tea, that’s perfectly fine, there are plenty of other games you can play. KCD was always billed as a game with a lot of deep systems (multiple layers of clothing, anyone?) and depth always comes with a skill curve and difficulty.

Note, I’m not opposed to an easy mode, if the current mode is left intact as an option. I just don’t like how all these impatient people who need to get everything right now are complaining and petitioning the devs (here and on twtitter and just generally complaining that the game must be easier) to make it easier or simpler. I’ve seen rather few people asking for an easy mode as an option. (An easy mode has another slew of problems that i’ve seen in other games though, where people especially reviewers complain that a game is too shallow or short, but they played on easy where none of the depth and replayability existed because you could just ignore half the systems and never learn them…)

1 Like
  1. Surival or DeathMarch or Real Life modes can be a setting in the games difficulty bar
  2. Some people want to play for the story. It’s up to the Devs for sure, but why not make an easy difficulty where all the settings are tuned down and attract that crowd?
    2a, Mods usually help with this (Sorry consoles)

cheers all!

1 Like

He’s definitely not the only one who thinks your way. It’s just that the complainers are the most vocal.

2 Likes

As I said, I’m not against an easy mode, as long as its made clear that its not the default to avoid the issues above. I like the way AI Wars does it: it says out straight that if you play on easy, some of the more advanced stuff simply doesn’t happen or isn’t necessary, so if you want to experience the full depth the game has to offer, play on harder.

Ideally, the game would have three modes (with names like the following, thanks for the ideas):

Just The Story – a much easier experience than it is now, for the people who find it too hard or only want to play for the story.

Normal (or whatever name) – basically an “as the devs intended it” mode, how it is now

Deathmarch (or whatever, as you said) – a mode that has much harder combat, enemies have more health, hit harder and generally things are a bit more difficult over all, for people who have completed the normal mode and want a bigger challenge.

The reason I say that there isn’t a slider (or if there is, it has these named three notches) is that it spells out the difference and makes it clear that if you play the easy mode, you are missing out on some of the deeper mechanics simply because you won’t need them. For example, if combat were easy, I’d probably not bother trying to get good at feints, ripostes or combos, because I could just spam my weapon and be done with it. Similarly, it should be obvious that playing on harder than normal is for veterans who are bored of the normal game.

Yes, I imagine mods will come out in time that address the difficulty.

1 Like

Wait…so you don’t have to rotate the right thumbstick while keeping the pick in the gold zone? you just hold it in place once its in the gold zone? I havent had time to go back and try but I thought you had to rotate both left and right thumbsticks simultaneously. Maybe just better in game directions would ease lock picking woes. I do love the game and %100 agree it shouldn’t be easy at all. It’s nice to feel the progression over the hours of playing

I see your point, but there’s still more combos and skills to learn and unlock. Get to it! :smile:

You have to move it a little, but not nearly as much as you would think.

The sweet spot moves with the lock so naturally you have to move the right stick a little to stay on the sweet spot while you rotate the whole lock.

But i never make full circles with the right stick, key is speed with the left stick.

Make a quick circle with left and move the right stick a little to stay on the golden spot.

It’s not brainsurgery as some people seem to claim.

2 Likes

I was having really hard times in sword combat, so i spent a couple hours training with the master in Rattay. After that i killed 2 bandit camps by sword (well, my bow helped a little).
I am not saying this to say i’m good, i’m saying this so that you can understand that probably there is another way of acting instead complaining. Like trining, exactly as in real life.
Sorry for my bad english.

4 Likes

Your English is fine and what you say is exactly right.

You said it. If people actually put in the time training with Bernard to learn how to read the enemy’s attack directions and time the counters properly, they would enjoy the game a lot more. Instead they run out with garbage strength, agility, and stamina, and wonder why their spastic button mashing gets them killed.

3 Likes

Glad i’m not the only one.

There are plenty of casual games on the market. This game always advertised itself as more hardcore game in lieu of dark souls, cuphead etc… I dont understand why you bought a product that markets itself as a game intended for these kind of audiences and then you start complaining about it.

That is like going to the cinema to see R rated movie and complain about the adult content and asking directors to make all audiences appropriate remake, and saying that people who enjoy R rated movie are elitists and dont want you to have a fun.

As a matter of fact these requests to make the game easier are elitist.

99% of games on the market carter to casual players and challenging games like dark souls etc are very rare . This game marketed itself as such from the very begging (you can go see all past interviews, development diaries, advertisement etc.), so there was no false advertising you got exactly what was promised. Yet here are the people who purchased a game intended for more non casual audiences and then request developers to remake the game for a casual audience. In my opinion this kind of attitude is elitist…

Nobody is saying that just because you are more casual player you are worse gamer or etc. But must every single game cater only to this audience? Demanding that every single game must be made to your taste is elitist.

3 Likes

I agree, the people who cant handle the difficulty shouldnt play. Its those who FUNDED the game, who knew of the challenges this game offered that are being screwed. If the cry babies actually help crowd fund this game, then their input should be acknowledged, but most likely they saw a beautiful game and purchased it without realising what this game entailed. Cuz of these cry babies im not getting what i helped fund, and the developers vision for this game is being trampled upon. So im sorry its too tough for some, just go play a different game instead of ruining it for those who have long awaited this games release…

3 Likes

Amen , brother

I said the same thing