Wait or no?

Really interested in the game, was wondering if its to late to purchase and play the beta being maybe its close to release? If there is time to purchase and play, how would that work? Some of the threads I have read seems there may not be steam keys left?

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Alpha had steam keys, those backers then continued with Beta on steam, but ‘everyone else’ used the warhorse launcher to download and play the beta.

A handful of additional ‘preview & press’ codes were available and a few purchasers were able to beg these instead of the WH launcher, but they are now used up.

On release the delivery will be via steam for all PC users - both those using steam for the beta and those currently using WH launcher.

You can preorder the release version and get access to the beta as a bonus. As we don’t yet have a release date, I’d guess at at least 3-6 months of use out of the beta before it is replaced by the final version. It is however the same version that was given out in March last year (with a very few minor bug fixes and subtitle support for localisation) and there are no plans to update it at all.

It is buggy and poorly performing, yet it is still something I enjoy playing - has underneath the placeholder animations and patchy implementation some of the more believable world and interactions I have seen. Most of the bugs and poor performance issues are reported as fixed in the internal versions, but you won’t see those improvements yet.

3 Likes

“Two Thumbs Up”

Thank you so much!

Just wait, playing the year old “beta” (expanded tech-alpha in reality) is absolutely not worth it. It’s so far from the final representation of the game there’s no reason to try to get it if you’re only interested how is the game gonna look like. Just watch some videos. Right now ESO himself is doing an LP on the ol’ Youtube.

If you just want to support the game and the devs that’s perfectly ok tho.

3 Likes

Disagree. Buying now specifically for the beta access may or may not be worth it according to your specific preferences and tastes. To state that it is “absolutely not worth it” is a personal value judgement that many will disagree with.

I have not played anything else in the last year that brings me back as consistently, nor which I find as engaging, bugs and issues notwithstanding.

I freely acknowledge that this is in part because I enjoy the process of discovering, identifying and reporting those which seem novel - then working around such issues as are seen from time to time, and can overlook the rough/unfinished nature in the whole.

1 Like